125g with sump and pressurized (PIC HEAVY)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-06-2009, 12:16 AM   #1
j-gens
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
Thumbs up

125g with sump and pressurized (PIC HEAVY)

Heres my tank thread on my tank that i just set-up.

This tank is 60L x 18W x 24 Deep
i am running a 48" PC light with 2 10000K bulbs and 2 6500K bulbs=260 watts of PC lighting

I am running pressurized co2 from a 10# tank through a victor hpt regulator and swagelok ss-4bmg metering valve coupled to check valves and double bubble bubble counter and diffused into my sump with a hagen elite mini

The substrate is Turface capped with Pool Filter Sand with a thin layer of peat

The inhabitants will be red cherry shrimp, a school of rummynose tetras, and about 8 discus

The plants i will be keeping have not been determined yet but i already planted HC for a foreground.

I tried the dry start method for the HC with no luck and after some melting just decided to fill the tank

Pics will be up shortly

Last edited by j-gens; 11-18-2010 at 06:17 PM..
j-gens is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2009, 01:44 AM   #2
j-gens
Planted Tank Obsessed

My Sump

while running :"its dead silent with barely any turbulance"

My Plumbing

Co2 tank/reg/metering valve

the start peat topped with turface

HC planting

will keep updating!
Old 10-06-2009, 10:11 AM   #3
JamieH
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

looking good....

can;t wait to see your progress...

I've often wondered about sump tanks and C02... surely the water running down the overflow must gas off most of the C02 in the water column on the way to the filter?

I'd be tempted to replace the sump with a large external filter/s running on a close loop using your existing pipework.

But that's the great thing about our hobby... looks of ways to cook an egg.
EHEIM pimp club member #388

240litres | Low Tech Set Up | Comments welcome
JamieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:56 PM   #4
j-gens
Planted Tank Obsessed

yea i had actually thought about the overflow thing in advance and came up with this which actually does not have an overflow... instead it uses siphon to pull water from the tank to the sump

i was planning on creating an external overflow box for this tank but when i took it to the acrylic fabricator he said it shouldnt be done and it will not work so i came up with the idea with him to have three bulkhead holes drilled at the top of the tank for the draining to the sump. 1 of the pipes off of the back is the siphon pipe where the water actually flows the other 2 are backup drains (which will not create a siphon due to the john guest fitting and tubing) so since the tube with the water going into the sump is full all of the time there is no waterfall/turbulance which equals no offgassing of co2

yesterday i set my co2 up without the solenoid for the first time... im running around 1.5 bps and today i woke up and my drop checker is green so i must not have much off-gassing
Old 10-06-2009, 07:04 PM   #5
JamieH
Algae Grower

wow....! and how does the siphon stop if the pump go off?

Old 10-06-2009, 07:21 PM   #6
j-gens
Planted Tank Obsessed

i have a john guest valve on the top of the tube that goes back into the water where i would want it to stop draining at...
when it gets down to that spot the air gets sucked in and then breaks the siphon.. then if the pump is still working it is diverted into the other drains which do not siphon and drains from there(also the siphon drain is routed up above water level so gravity can do its work...
this is enough to take care of itself for a long while till i figure out there is a problem
Old 10-06-2009, 07:34 PM   #7
JamieH
Algae Grower

and your sump can hold that much drainage?

cool system

Old 10-06-2009, 07:45 PM   #8
j-gens
Planted Tank Obsessed

yea i can really tailor it to how much drainage there will be but yep it can
Old 10-06-2009, 07:46 PM   #9
kid creole
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Sump looks great.

Because I'm a dummy, and I can't figure it out, can you explain to me exactly how the siphon works?
Old 10-06-2009, 07:54 PM   #10
j-gens
Planted Tank Obsessed

the siphon drain i have actually comes over the top of the tank and down into the water with a strainer on the end... i will post pics after this weekend since the camera is now out of town and along with it the memory card
and then it is plumbed down into the sump below water level in the sump... so... basically lower than the normal running level of the sump once you prime the drain tube with some water... i use my python... it creates a siphon once the water starts to flow down the tube fast enough. The john guest valve with a tube is drilled into an elbow on the top of plumbing and then the tube is ran back down into the water also i then set that wherever i want depth wise to allow the siphon to get kicked out..
when the water reaches the bottom of wherever i have the tube from the john guest it starts to suck air to break the siphon. this gives me control of how low the tank will get before the siphon breaks and stops the flow of water into the sump
Old 10-06-2009, 10:51 PM   #11
kali
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

nice set-up, i love your close loop ..is that a PS4 pump? how you like it so far ? can you tell if its bring some heat to your tank .? i got one so far been running for a while , i love it , does bring a lil heat , the one thing that i dont like , its the hose barb ( cant do PVC on the ps4)

VICTOR PIMP #45: HPT270B-250
kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:53 AM   #12
JamieH
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-gens View Post
the siphon drain i have actually comes over the top of the tank and down into the water with a strainer on the end... i will post pics after this weekend since the camera is now out of town and along with it the memory card
and then it is plumbed down into the sump below water level in the sump... so... basically lower than the normal running level of the sump once you prime the drain tube with some water... i use my python... it creates a siphon once the water starts to flow down the tube fast enough. The john guest valve with a tube is drilled into an elbow on the top of plumbing and then the tube is ran back down into the water also i then set that wherever i want depth wise to allow the siphon to get kicked out..
when the water reaches the bottom of wherever i have the tube from the john guest it starts to suck air to break the siphon. this gives me control of how low the tank will get before the siphon breaks and stops the flow of water into the sump
I really don't get it sorry....

Where are your overflows?

presumably set at some point above the level of the siphon? how do you balance the siphon and pump? either the siphon is rated below the pump capacity and the overlfows are still in action - ergo the C02 is still being gassed off - or you are going to have to baby sit the siphon as it's notoriously difficult to get a perfect balance.

Either way, the water level in your sump will be fluctuating... and it doesn't look like the pump chamber holds a ton of reserve.

Can you put a diagram up to explain the how it's working? and the dimensions of your tank and sump tank?

Sorry for all the questions but i've been through this with a friend's marine tank and in the end he decided to give up on the siphon and use his overflows because it was nigh on impossible to balance the thing.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:10 PM   #13
j-gens
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieH View Post
I really don't get it sorry....

Where are your overflows?

presumably set at some point above the level of the siphon? how do you balance the siphon and pump? either the siphon is rated below the pump capacity and the overlfows are still in action - ergo the C02 is still being gassed off - or you are going to have to baby sit the siphon as it's notoriously difficult to get a perfect balance.

Either way, the water level in your sump will be fluctuating... and it doesn't look like the pump chamber holds a ton of reserve.

Can you put a diagram up to explain the how it's working? and the dimensions of your tank and sump tank?

Sorry for all the questions but i've been through this with a friend's marine tank and in the end he decided to give up on the siphon and use his overflows because it was nigh on impossible to balance the thing.
i have no overflows... i modified the herbie overflow system... and my drains are bulkhead holes drilled into my tank and a siphon tube that comes overtop of the back of the tank. it works great.
the bulkhead holes that are drains have 90 elbows that come out of them and are in the tank and are pointed up above the water line...
when the "siphon line" runs too slow those elbows will be your backup and catch any remaining water and take it to the sump...(note: there can be a little offgassing from those lines but barely any water goes into it/them that it does not make a difference. plus since its a closed loop type return it helps to "skim" the surface)

google the herbie overflow...
and glassreef 375
glassreefs external overflow is what i wanted but instead i had to make this
Old 10-26-2009, 04:57 PM   #14
j-gens
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default update got some limnophila aromatica

Heres a quick update... i decided to take the over the back siphon tube out and just use the bulkhead hole... i realized i have enough extra room in my sump if anything goes wrong to catch the water till its low enough in the tank to break the siphon itself
10/18/09

a week later (battling rhizoclonium and diatoms...im winning<update on next pic>)
10/21/09

10/26/09

i need some different wood in here... lol

and change my the elbow out of my bulkhead to black along with the strainer
Old 10-28-2009, 08:28 PM   #15
j-gens
Planted Tank Obsessed

kali you are right i would rather have it be able to fit the pump right to pvc but i made something work out of flexible braided tubing.. The pump gets warm and heats my tank up just right... it keeps it right around 80-83 degrees F
im going to be putting discus in there so that actually was a benefit to me

current stock list (fish)
20 amano shrimp, 10 rummynose tetras(gonna be getting more)

Plants
Limnophila Aromatica / Blyxa Japonica / Hemianthus Callitrichoides