Eheim Wet/Dry filter
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 08-06-2004, 04:29 PM   #1
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Eheim Wet/Dry filter

Anybody run one on a planted tank? What are the benefits and disadvantages of a wet/dry on a planted tank?

Old 08-06-2004, 04:37 PM   #2
John P.
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

http://petsolutions.com/product.asp?pn=20622227

Here's my take . . .

1) If you search the archives, you'll find that people stay away from wet/dry filters for planted tanks because they cause the (necessary) CO2 to leave the water. Point taken.

2) However, since the Eheim is a sealed unit (unlike reefer's wey/dry systems), I don't see how you will lose much, if any, CO2 during filtration.
Old 08-06-2004, 04:38 PM   #3
fishyboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

No because if you'd read up on it... it has a breathing tube which brings in Oxygena nd removes co2... stay away i think
fishyboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2004, 06:59 PM   #4
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by John P.
Here's my take . . .

1) If you search the archives

ahh the archives.....never heard of them
Old 08-06-2004, 07:00 PM   #5
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyboy
No because if you'd read up on it... it has a breathing tube which brings in Oxygena nd removes co2... stay away i think

Yeah, that's what I was figuring. Just wondering if anybody is using one now with positive or negative experience.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:46 AM   #6
j888

PTrader: (0/0%)

New to the forum but just wanted to share my experience...

I used an Eheim Wet/Dry on a 75g heavily planted tank with pressurized CO2 when the units first came on the market back in '96(?). I loved the unit and it ran without a problem for 2.5 years before I gave up my tank when I moved for grad school. I used a 10lb. canister and only had to refill it once every 7 or 8 months. I dont know what the average refill time should be but I didn't think there was excessive loss of CO2 because of the wet/dry component of the filter. The eheim functions a little differently from a traditional trickle wet/dry because the bio media is "oxygenated" predominately by the slow rising and dropping of the water level in the canister and its subsequent exposure to air rather than the water running over the biomedia. I don't know if that factor makes the eheim any better than traditional trickle filters but I was happy with it and sorely miss that tank and setup.
j888 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.