Question, pregnet cherry red shrimp
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 08-06-2004, 01:08 AM   #1
sailblue5
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Question, pregnet cherry red shrimp

ok, I have two pregnet cherry red shrimp right now, I noticed the first one last Saturday (today is Thursday) and the second one on Tuesday. How many days do they carry eggs for? DO all the eggs hatch and leave the mother at the same time? it looks as iff the shrimp has less eggs today as before. The only fish I have with them right now are black mollies, will they eat the baby shrimp? I don't have much plant cover right now. Any help would be great.

Michael
sailblue5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2004, 01:19 AM   #2
ming
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ming Send a message via MSN to ming

They hatch as baby shrimps so they'll need a lot of hiding places, java moss is usually very great for that. Mollies will sometimes pick at the ground and if they can find them, they'll eat it.

10G, 2x13W PC AH retrofit, Hagen CO2 Taken down
29G, 1x55W PC AH retrofit, Flourite, DIY CO2 Taken down
10G, 2x10W PC Walmart Screw-ins Cherry Shrimp Tank
29G, 2x65W PC Coralife, Flourite Taken down
2.5G, 2x10W PC Walmart Screw-in Taken down

75G, 2x54W T5, 90lbs Flourite

http://www.mings.info
ming is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2004, 03:46 AM   #3
sailblue5
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

How small are they when they hatch? and do they all hatch at the same time or over the span of a few days? I have some moss in there, but not much, I am thinking of dividing the tank somehow to keep the mollies away.

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by ming
They hatch as baby shrimps so they'll need a lot of hiding places, java moss is usually very great for that. Mollies will sometimes pick at the ground and if they can find them, they'll eat it.
sailblue5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2004, 04:16 AM   #4
bharada
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

I've never seen any of my cherrys giving birth. I just start seeing baby shrimp appear, but never anything smaller than 3-4mm long. Most times I dont even see those, only the 10mm+ juveniles. But my tank has a lot of plant cover in it so on any given day I never see more than 50% of all the shrimp in the tank.

You could always buy an in-tank breeding trap and isolate the pregnant cherrys in there until the eggs hatch.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.