Permanent Pearling.....Really Cool
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 10-01-2009, 05:03 PM   #1
m189
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Permanent Pearling.....Really Cool

______Algae has basically solidified hundreds of pearling air bubbles to the edges of the leaves for several days now.___________________It looks like regular pearling where the bubbles are about to roll off the edge of the leaf except that the bubbles are stuck there and won't even dislodge if I touch them.___________________These bubbles must have been in place when the light turned off for the night and during the night, a very thin film of algae grew around all of these bubbles. My is actually very tank is clear with very little algae, but these bubbles must have stayed in place long enough because I have no water movement since I rely upon my many plants for filtration. The bubbles look clear, not green, but you can see at the very base of the bubbles a hint of green where they are attached to the leaves. The tank is now always beautiful, even when not pearling because all the leaves have this amazing sparkling ring of bubbles around the edges.___________________Anyone else every had this happen in their tank?___________________(Fauna:4 glowlight tetras, ramshorns and trumpet snails. Flora: anubias, crypt wendtii, java moss, and a marimo ball. Substrate: sand/soil,fine gravel mix, by demineralizing method. Hardware: 5 gallon glass tank, 10w stock light, black lid.)
m189 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2009, 03:56 AM   #2
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

algae pearl too.
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2009, 04:53 AM   #3
Rob in Puyallup
Opae Ula Crazed.

PTrader: (3/100%)

Wondering if you might have some bluegreen algae there?
Rob in Puyallup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2009, 06:49 AM   #4
m189
Algae Grower

I think you might be right about the Blue green algae, as the tank does have a tiny bit of that swampy smell, but it does not seem to be any more than normal. It also coats the top of the leaves of my crypt wendtii, but this does not look bad at all....you can hardly notice it. In addition, one of my ramshorn snails seems to love devouring the stuff. He's cleared an entire big leaf of the stuff. Whatever it is, it does not seem to harm the tank, everything looks great, and the water quality is still spot-on. It seems that all those plants or (algae) seem to suck everything up because my nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia readings are hardly ever distinguishable from 0. (Using test strips) ...but there is that slight swampy smell. hmmm. I guess I won't worry about it as long as everything is still good.
m189 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2009, 02:57 AM   #5
urbguy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

well, i never experienced it personally... but there is a pet store where i visit often and their tanks are...ahem...rather neglected...in their tanks they have these huge clumps of blue-ish green algae and the strange thing is it actually pearls ALL over, it maybe one of the strangest things ever lol.
urbguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2009, 03:11 AM   #6
TipStylez
Algae Grower

It could be algae, or a really bad colony of bacteria. I remember when i worked at a petstore, one of the long time freshwater vets told me about this. All i know is that its really contagious to the point you would have to clean your hands really good before putting it in another tank or it will also start to colonized in that tank. This happend in our huge 500gal grow out for plants.

Anyone know what im talking about? haha
TipStylez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2009, 05:43 AM   #7
kurosuto
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

diatoms?
kurosuto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2009, 06:37 AM   #8
urbguy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

actually if i think back to where i was at, it looked like bearded algae it was horrible. because the filter current wasn't that strong, it was able to accumulate alot of "pearls."
urbguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
algae, amazing, beautiful, low tech, pearling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.