best shops in RI? - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Rhode Island

Old 08-24-2013, 05:12 AM   #46
NanoDave
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

I've been noticing Petco's carrying amano and nerite snails more often. The one in Warwick has supplied my 4 big tanks with about 15 amano's and 10 nerite snais. As much as I hate not shopping "local" they do have great prices and usually decent numbers of things I'm looking for from time to time. My gf and I went out the Taunton yesterday to go to Underwater World in the mall there. Decided to stop at Petco first figuring we wouldn't find much and just wanted to poke around... I found a Pink Tailed Chalceus for $14! I've been looking for a good size topwater for a while and $14 is a hell of a deal. They even had Discus there that had exceptionally good color to them even for lfs standards (they were $40-45 though so not much of a deal). Not to mention Petco now has a decent Fluval LED lighting section 0.0! I think the chains are starting to pick up on the more serious hobbyists needs.

I will say this though. No Petco staff can be nearly as knowledgable as Bob from Animal Instincts or George from Aqua-Life or Adam from Critter Hut. Plus LFS can special order and give discounts so it's really apples and oranges.

12G Rimless Club

*Everybody has too much of something...me? I have fish tanks.*
NanoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2013, 06:10 AM   #47
marioman72
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoDave View Post
I've been noticing Petco's carrying amano and nerite snails more often. The one in Warwick has supplied my 4 big tanks with about 15 amano's and 10 nerite snais. As much as I hate not shopping "local" they do have great prices and usually decent numbers of things I'm looking for from time to time. My gf and I went out the Taunton yesterday to go to Underwater World in the mall there. Decided to stop at Petco first figuring we wouldn't find much and just wanted to poke around... I found a Pink Tailed Chalceus for $14! I've been looking for a good size topwater for a while and $14 is a hell of a deal. They even had Discus there that had exceptionally good color to them even for lfs standards (they were $40-45 though so not much of a deal). Not to mention Petco now has a decent Fluval LED lighting section 0.0! I think the chains are starting to pick up on the more serious hobbyists needs.

I will say this though. No Petco staff can be nearly as knowledgable as Bob from Animal Instincts or George from Aqua-Life or Adam from Critter Hut. Plus LFS can special order and give discounts so it's really apples and oranges.

im going to def have to go to that petco! but agreed they r probly the most knowledgeable people in the area! too bad nick left animal instincts guna miss him but the new guy seems quite knowledgeable! i was testing his knowledge the other day i went in there had a little convo haha as far as planted tanks go!
marioman72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:34 PM   #48
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I stopped into ri aquarium today. I have to say from what it was to what it is its Luke night and day. I missed a 20l deep blue sale for $25 by a week. They had panda cories which if they had 5 I would have bought them but the woman said Tuesday they have more. I saw more dead fish at petco by garden city then this place. I think I saw 1 dead. All in all I have to say they have changed by leaps and bounds
Old 08-30-2013, 05:58 PM   #49
0live
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattooedfool83 View Post
I stopped into ri aquarium today. I have to say from what it was to what it is its Luke night and day. I missed a 20l deep blue sale for $25 by a week. They had panda cories which if they had 5 I would have bought them but the woman said Tuesday they have more. I saw more dead fish at petco by garden city then this place. I think I saw 1 dead. All in all I have to say they have changed by leaps and bounds
I know, right? I couldn't believe the change! If it's not under new management, I'd suggest they look in to some kind sign saying "We finally got out heads out of our A$$es!"

When I was there last they were pulling out a bunch of tanks.. were they still gone, or did they finally fill it in?m Also.. the last time I was there they had cherry shrimp! (when I was last keeping fish a few years ago (6 or 7 maybe,) I asked them if they had shrimp and the employee pointed me to the SW section.. when I asked for FW it was like I'd asked for a species of feline native to the deep pacific.
0live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:00 PM   #50
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

Everything seemed full clean and well kept. I'm gonna purchase the panda cories next week and that will be make or break for me
Old 08-30-2013, 06:03 PM   #51
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

They are all about deep blue products and they aren't much more then online, might even be cheaper considering shipping.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:13 PM   #52
0live
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm bored and it's gross and humid in my house even with the AC on.. I'm heading over to ri aquarium to check it out. (Then maybe to petco to get a 40b)

I'll report back on any significant changes at RIA&P.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #53
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

I'm at work and its sooooooo humid. No ac. Can't wait to leave
Old 09-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #54
0live
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Okay, nothing really to report. Still so-so livestock.. though they have some of they're used tanks for sale (75s I think. didn't ask.)
Old 09-26-2013, 03:07 PM   #55
NanoDave
Planted Tank Obsessed

I stopped into RI Aquarium yesterday after doing the rounds around RI with a friend showing him all the stores and wow am I impressed. The store was very clean and the fish all looked good. They're setting up a huge wall of tanks when I went in and the racks look good. They had a huge tank sale going on for 10-75gal Deep Blue tanks only a few bucks more than $ per gallon. Their Deep Blue lighting prices are ridiculously low and are very tempting. Overall huge improvement and I've def put this place back on my map.

12G Rimless Club

Old 09-27-2013, 01:29 AM   #56
CuzIsaidSo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I work right on N Main St and haven't been to RI Aquarium in a couple years because of how it use to be but apparently things have changed...i'm gonna have to check it out this weekend
CuzIsaidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:42 AM   #57
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

Yeah it's not bad, all deep blue products it seems. Great tanks, not sure how the lights are. But how it is now compared to how it was its like night and day
Old 09-27-2013, 02:48 AM   #58
NanoDave
Planted Tank Obsessed

I personally love Deep Blue tanks and find their lights to be just as high quality. Never had a problem with the 3 I have and I find them more aesthetically pleasing than most others on the market.

12G Rimless Club

Old 10-25-2013, 12:03 PM   #59
pgaron
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Just moved to RI I have been to the store on Wickeden I live less than a mile from it, its ok. Bought some API test strips for $16. Are there any other good places still open I plan to go to RI Aquarium
pgaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:36 PM   #60
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgaron View Post
Just moved to RI I have been to the store on Wickeden I live less than a mile from it, its ok. Bought some API test strips for $16. Are there any other good places still open I plan to go to RI Aquarium
Aqua life is the best. George is a wealth of knowledge. Join the tropical fish society we meet once a month. Welcome to ri! What kind of fish and or plants are you into?