Molly acting strange....
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 09-29-2009, 01:31 PM   #1
ladyeeyore31@hotmail.com
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unhappy

Molly acting strange....

We have had our Molly for over two weeks now and and she (I'm guessing??) has been very active swimming around alot during the day and hanging out towards the middle and top of the aquarium. However yesterday when I added a Pleco and Dwarf Gourami she was instantly run over by the Pleco who was trying to get to the bottom of the tank. And since then has been just laying on the bottom of the tank and only occationally swimming around. She doesn't appear to be injured so I am just wondering if she is scared of the other two fish. My husband thinks that the Gourami is intimidating her but I'm not sure of that. Do you think she will adjust? Any thoughts???
ladyeeyore31@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2009, 09:30 PM   #2
Ariel301
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

She may be stressed by the new additions; she may be sick; or she may be recovering from having fry. I've had some livebearers that would lay around for a day or two after dropping their fry, even though most aren't bothered by it at all.

What size is the tank?
How heavily decorated/planted is it? She may not have enough places to hide when she needs alone time.
Can you test your water for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate? A spike in those could make her sick.
The gourami may be intimidating her--I have two gouramis and they are nasty bullies. Keep an eye on him and see if he picks on your molly.
Ariel301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 02:30 AM   #3
CaliEAB
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

We've always kept mollys and IME they tend to do better with a few molly friends. I have 2 females and 1 male black mollys and they're having a grand ol' fishy time. The male is doing his best to impress the ladies but everyone is doing well in a high fish-load tank. +1 on the gourami being territorial. They usually fight with other males gourami's but he might be the problem. If it's a small tank and it's not cycled yet, the addition of a couple of extra fish could spike up the ammonia. You'd probably want to check your water before adding any other fish.

"Everyone's got a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson
CaliEAB is offline   Reply With Quote