I want to make a 29 gallon planted tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 08-05-2004, 03:08 AM   #1
charliet@ng
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I want to make a 29 gallon planted tank

I am new here and I would like to make a 29 gallon planted aquarium out of my old saltwater tank and I have a few questions. first I have been wondering if i could use yeast co2 and attach it to a prism skimmer air intake because it chops the bubbles up and keeps them circulated. second if it there would be enough co2 for the tank with that setup. third i would like to know if 2 18in florscent lights would be enough for the tank. The fish i want to put in are 10-20 blue neon tetras and maybe a small group of some other sort of a schooling fish. I wanted to make the tank look simple with a large fore ground of glosso and a peice of drift wood to one side with glosso parctialy covering it i haven't decided for a back round yet but i wanted a light green plants with maybe some red plants to seprate it. also i was wondering if a 1in or less layer of onyx will be ok because i dislike deep gravel. thanks for your help

charlie
charliet@ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2004, 03:41 AM   #2
Blade
Algae Grower

I think you wouod really be pusing the minimum as far as lighting goes, which doesnt mean you can't have a planted tank. However I don't think adding C02 would be beneficial.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 03:42 AM   #3
George Willms
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

There is no point in using the skimmer. It simply increases surface agitation and will release to co2 into the atmosphere.
Ehfipimp extraordinaire!
Eheim Pimp Club Recruiter, Saergant at Arms, and Enforcer.

29 and 45 gallon. 2026, 2028
My 29 gallon tank
George Willms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 03:57 AM   #4
Gomer
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

You could do a nice low light tank with that setup. Glosso is out of the question. I think you will want to stick to mosses, anubiases, ferns, and crypts.

CO2 even in a low light setup can be benificial, but I wouldn't bother.

As for the skimmer, george hit it right on the head.
Old 08-05-2004, 04:20 AM   #5
charliet@ng
Algae Grower

thx for the info i was wondering would 2 65w pc's work better and do they make plant bulbs for the square pin kind because i never see them at my lfs. and what kind of filtration do you all recomend
charliet@ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 06:14 PM   #6
Bert H
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)

On my 29 I have an ah retrofit for 55W plus a plain 20W strip. That works fine for all the stuff I have tried. Though I haven't trie glosso, I can tell you Hemianthus grows horizontally in the foreground corner where I planted it. HTH.
Bert H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 01:57 AM   #7
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

A 2x65 watt light would work great. But you would need CO2 and lots of it. Almost to the range of a pressurized CO2 system. And you can find square pin plant lights at most of the major on-line retailers.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 07:32 AM   #8
putty
Planted Tank Enthusiast

For filters, most people prefer the canister types. I won't get into the religious brand debate, but some work better than others.

The advantages of a canister filter are, high-flow rate, ability to use a spray bar (to minimize CO2 loss at the surface), ability to plumb in such equipment as a CO2 reactor. If going with pressurized CO2 and a higher light system, this type of filter is most likely your best bet.

In a low light system, HOB (hang on back) filters are probably your best bet. Their advantages are, low cost, good flow rate, surface agitation (if not using CO2) and ease of maintenance.
putty is offline   Reply With Quote