International Aroid Society
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > Other Websites

Old 09-21-2009, 11:08 PM   #1
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (140/100%)

International Aroid Society

I had the opportunity to attend the International Aroid Society (IAS) Show and Sale this past weekend in Miami, FL. I had a great time and saw a lot of cool plants.

The term "aroid" is in reference to plants of Family Araceae, which are characterized by blooms comprised of a hood like spathe enclosing or surrounding a cigar-shaped spadix. Tow very popular kinds of aquarium plants, members of the genera Anubias and Cryptocoryne, are aroids. Araceae includes many other interesting semi-aquatic plants, such as certain Spathiphyllum, Lasia, Zantedeschia and various taros.

The IAS society members at the show were all very friendly and had a great deal of knowledge about aroids and other plants. The group has a pretty active and information-packed email list-serve, Aroid-L, which is also a friendly forum. I highly recommend checking out the IAS site. It is a great organization to join if you like plants.

Aroid.org

Colocasia fallax, an emergent aquatic aroid.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2009, 02:06 AM   #2
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Seriously, do check out the International Aroid Society if you haven't followed the link there yet. It really is a cool organization. Participation in the group offers the opportunity to meet the really friendly members and see acquire rare and unique aroid plants.

Here is a picture of the garden pond there at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden, which is where the IAS holds its show & sale every year. There is an emergent aquatic aroid, Lasia spinosa (arrow) growing in the pond.

Image credit: Theodore Held
Old 09-25-2009, 06:41 PM   #3
markopolo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

cool stuff,

at first i thought Aroid meant

Alex Rodriguez, Arod + steroids = Aroid
Old 09-25-2009, 10:24 PM   #4
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

That's funny you say that because I have more than once caught myself almost saying "my roids" in reference to my aroid plants.

There are a lot of pretty cool aroid plants. Here is one of my emersed-grown Anubias barteri. I like this plant a lot.

Old 10-03-2009, 05:53 AM   #5
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Here I am again with another plug for the International Aroid Society. Participation in this organization is a great way to find rare plants. Here is a shot of the Cryptocoryne affinis that I scored during the auction that weekend of the IAS Show and Sale.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:00 PM   #6
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

A lot of aroids have quite attractive leaves. Here is a recent shot of the 'Silver Dollar' taro that I was growing in my 65-gallon tank.

You can see to the left of the leaf a couple of spathes. The spathe of this plant is rather dull and not much to look at.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:00 PM   #7
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Hey y'all, if you like plants, then do check out the International Aroid Society website, and consider becoming an IAS member.

Aroid.org

It's a cool organization, and aroids are cool plants. Look at this crazy Cryptocoryne. It looks like it came from outer space.

Old 11-14-2009, 09:03 PM   #8
CL
C-A-T-S

PTrader: (79/100%)

Cool, I never realized that crypts and anubias were so similar.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:23 PM   #9
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Yep, they are both in Family Araceae, the aroid family. Lagenandra is also an aroid. I can't think of too many other aquarium aroids, but there are a number of strange and beautiful semi-aquatic aroids that grow as marginals or emergents in swamps or along river banks. Here is the unusual Cyrtosperma johnstonii.

(Wikipedia-linked image, by Kurt Stueber)
Old 04-09-2010, 02:36 AM   #10
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Hey everybody be sure to check out the International Aroid Society, your link to strange and beautiful aroid plants.

The MidAmerica IAS Chapter now has a Facebook page.

MidAmerica IAS Chapter.

They have a meeting coming up at the end of the month at the Missouri Botanical Garden--I wish that I could attend.

Below, the stunning leaf of the semi-aquatic aroid, Cyrtosperma johnstonii, that is growing in my 50-gallon riparium setup.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:15 AM   #11
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

The IAS MidAmerica Chapter held their second annual at the Missouri Botanical Garden in St. Louis. It sounds as though it was a great success and a lot of fun. I wish that I could have gone. Oh well, I will do my best to go next year.

Here is the link to the International Aroid Society Facebook page.

International Aroid Society Facebook

Old 05-13-2010, 02:40 AM   #12
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

This is a bump for the IAS. Check it out if you haven't been to their site yet.

Aroid.org

Botany is cool!
Old 08-02-2010, 01:48 AM   #13
legomaniac89
Aroid Addict

PTrader: (69/100%)

Hey Devin, are you going to the annual show again this year? I finally got around to joining the IAS a couple weeks ago and can't wait till I get this year's Aroideana journal.
Always interested in trades for aroids, carnivores, orchids, ferns, or whatever else you think I might like to try
legomaniac89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:00 AM   #14
ukamikazu
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (19/100%)
Unhappy Why doe Austin have so little to offer?

My nearest IAS Texas chapter is in Fort Worth. My hometown. I moved 200 miles south to Austin 6 years ago for work. Doh!

Same with various APE's. DFW has one, so does Houston and San Antonio. El Paso, Brownsville and Corpus freakin' Christi have such societies but not the capitol of Texas, Austin. Austin, which is supposed to be weird, cool, fun and the definitive source of all that is enlightened and worldly in the Lone Star State. Pfui !

I need to move back home or KyleT can rally the rest of the troops that he knows are here in Austin. Here's to hoping !

Aroids: Gotta love 'em!
"You are much better off with no numbers than meaningless ones. The minute you believe numbers uncritically, that is, without understanding how they're calculated and how well they measure whatever they're supposed to measure, you will generate a breed of employee who will produce numbers and not results. Your data-processing system will then serve not to describe reality but to lie about it."

-Micheal S. Montalbano
ukamikazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:39 AM   #15
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

I hope that I can make it to either the Show & Sale or the Mid-America meeting this fall, but it is already getting so late and it's difficult to budget. Where did the summer go? I understand that the Mid-America meeting is going to be in Fort Worth in October. Is that right? Here is the IAS Facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/South-...y/291094100787

Hey Adam you will really like Aroideana a lot. If you want a real mind-blowing experience then see if you can find a library with the back issues going way back.