Technology Sucks - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 08-20-2004, 06:48 PM   #31
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (8/100%)

Actually the latest Norton can't pick up keyloggers. As for me, I'd just format that sucker and reinstall (especially with a used system like yours). I reformat about twice a year also.

$75 is decent for a monitor depending on what size and condition it is in. Luckily, I live in the Silicon Valley and there are always auctions going on (lots of dot.coms which went bankrupt, and consolidations). You can pick up a nice 19" flatscreen for $25 easily (especially when they have 100s) and the greatest thing about it is you can preview them before you buy.

Also good to have connections. Some of the corporate discounts are just insane...

Ibn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2004, 12:13 AM   #32
cookingnerd607
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Send a message via AIM to cookingnerd607 Send a message via Yahoo to cookingnerd607

corporate discounts ROCK! i bought up two pallets of 17" Black ibm CRTs...i live in binghamton ny. close to endicott....i paid $300 for two pallets of grade a monitors....i kept 3 of them for my workstation...mmmm triple monitors...
cookingnerd607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 06:25 AM   #33
Dapple
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Dapple

Pricewatch and Ben's Bargains are both good sources of deals.

Ilive in a college town too, and often find computers near dumpsters and I've seen some good monitors at Goodwill even.

As far as problems with viruses and such go...try Linux...
Ehiem pimp club #57!

1 29g Ehiem ECCO 2232
2 20g's Penguin 170
1 Eclipse 6
1 2g nano
1 12g nanocube

The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
Dapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 09:57 AM   #34
Laith
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

tapes? no, no, you've got it all wrong!

The way to go is punch cards!!

Let's see, loading Windows with punch cards..
Laith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 06:49 AM   #35
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (8/100%)

LOL, punchcards.

I still remember the days when my bro's roommate was backing his hd back onto tapes. Technology has definitely come a long way...

If you do live in a college town, you can pick up some nice stuff when the students are moving out for the summer. Most of the time the students don't want to haul that stuff off so they drop them off in the trash area of the apartment complex. Just got to be there at the right time. I still remember when we were moving out and we found a mini fridge, 20-gallon setup, with some other stuff. Too bad our cars were already filled. By the time that we got back, it was cleaned out .

Ibn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 11:59 PM   #36
Pooky125
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Pooky125 Send a message via MSN to Pooky125 Send a message via Yahoo to Pooky125 Send a message via Skype™ to Pooky125

Guess I'll give you all an update. They day after I brought it in, I left for a week long family reunion in N. Wisconsin. Went well, all things consitered. 5 generations of family managed to show up, there were about 30 of us. Think I was there for a total of 2 hours, in which I ate before hauling my butt back out into the woods on one of the atv's or by foot. Broke the LCD screen on my camera while I was up there. I'm getting a new one in a few weeks. I'll try and post a few pics I took up there in a few days. My webserver is being weird again.

Day or 2 after I got home, got my comp back from Office Depot. I'm not at all unsatisfied with the work they did. They didn't reinstall the OS, but I was trying to avoid that if at all possible. I don't have a floppy to back up my system, and burning it onto cd is to big of a pain, not to mention, I'm not entirely sure how to do it. There prices, while steep, I was more then happy to pay. IT was indeed a virus problem, as I suspected when I brought it in. Figure I got it loaded with them, but oh well. Thats the way my life works most days.

I could have saved the money, and boughten a new tank yes, but I'm currently trying to figure out how to unload about half a dozen of them, and stock the rest, so I'm not to eager to get anymore.

Within two days after getting back from the family reunion, I got a job, and have been working almost everyday since. Think I've had 2 days off out of about 15. I'll have a few more Wednesday and Thursday. It's not a great job, but it pays, and I only have to work like 4 hours at a time at the most.

All in all, I'm not at all unhappy about the way it turned out. It was kind of bad timing, but it worked out in the end.
Pooky125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 11:24 PM   #37
Rolo
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Good to hear everything worked out for ya. I too have finally gotten an act together to get my money back, over the defective monitor. Whoever said paypal sux, I agree. I guess for them the cover you for shipping damages/bad product before it left the sellers house, the seller must be pre-approved by them. UPS will refund me up to us$100. Its their default coverage for all shipments.