Technology Sucks - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 08-14-2004, 01:40 AM   #16
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore
reason I won't buy a used PC from someone - hackers.
very easy to hide an application that's recording every keystroke you make, and then send that data across the net back to his PC.
Format c: stops that right in it's tracks. I seem to be reinstalling the OS on my main computer about every six months. I test/play with a lot of different software and it really helps to keep the OS fresh. Also if you run something like SpyBot or Pest Patrol or even the latest Norton they all detect key loggers.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2004, 05:50 PM   #17
fish_fan
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

first of all... if a deal seems 'too good to be true', then it probably is... secondly that laptop is likely stolen from a business somewhere... they steal them here all the time... so if you take it somewhere to get it fixed and they contact the vendor, it is possible that the vendor knows it was stolen... now the cops come into the picture... hopefully you are a long distance from where it was lifted and have a plausible excuse... the cops are going to keep the laptop and you are out of the money the guy on eBay ripped you off for...

with that said... computers are just stupid devices and there is no magic to them... I work with the little #$%^ everyday... and have for over 14 years... I would not hesitate to buy a used PC, but would definately research the person selling it to me... and if the price is too low... I would expect the hardware to be questionable... plus the very first thing I would do is format the hard drive and reinstall an OS...

I agree with Rex that the behaviour sounds virus/worm like and am curious if you had an anti-virus application running on it with a current dat file???

good luck...
5g w/eco-complete, 10w CF, ugf, java fern, male betta
fish_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 06:45 PM   #18
Mori
Wannabe Guru

My computer has a 5.25 floppy drive. does that make me a Luddite?
Mori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 03:14 AM   #19
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mori
My computer has a 5.25 floppy drive. does that make me a Luddite?
Nope. Just makes you a "late adopter". A Luddite would still be using a tape drive, as in cassette tape drive. Most of you kids have probably never seen one of those.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 04:29 AM   #20
cookingnerd607
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Send a message via AIM to cookingnerd607 Send a message via Yahoo to cookingnerd607

mmm tape drives.....

You shouldn't ever take your pc's to bestbuy, they will charge you an arm and a leg for something i taught my nine year old sister to do. Borrow a cd from a friend and Do it yourself, then buy a new tank with the money youd save!
cookingnerd607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 04:47 AM   #21
Rolo
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Just won a used monitor advertised as LIKE NEW condition on ebay. - $76 w/ shipping. In three e-mails the seller started them all - "you've one an excellent working monitor...," I got suspicious cause no one was doubting it was bad. When it came it was very dusty and dirty. Oh and yea and it doesn't work. Doesn't even draw any power to begin with. I second the advice not to buy used computers or computer parts from the internet.

Will paypal refund me? I heard if you bring it to them within 30 days they will help me out.
Old 08-20-2004, 05:53 AM   #22
Opiesilver
Planted Tank Enthusiast

They will usually refund you pretty quick. Infact they are so consumer oriented that those merchants that deal with them usually wind up getting screwed at least once or twice a year from people who are just looking to get stuff for free.
Old 08-20-2004, 05:55 AM   #23
Opiesilver
Planted Tank Enthusiast

And yeah, never buy used computer equipment on EBAY. That's where everyone unloads their junk that they can't sell anywhere else. Just go out to pricewatch.com and see what the price is for a new one. You might just be in for a shock.
Old 08-20-2004, 06:41 AM   #24
Rolo
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opiesilver
They will usually refund you pretty quick. Infact they are so consumer oriented that those merchants that deal with them usually wind up getting screwed at least once or twice a year from people who are just looking to get stuff for free.
I was going through paypals policies and it seems like to file a money back claim, the seller had to agreed with paypal to let the buyer do so, before the auction is won. Please tell me I'm wrong.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:59 AM   #25
cookingnerd607
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Send a message via AIM to cookingnerd607 Send a message via Yahoo to cookingnerd607

Ok, first paypal sucks. (www.paypalsucks.com) second dont buy used parts from egay, third try a computing forum such as www.hardforum.com or one of the many other forums around. you will find much better deals on parts than you can at egay.
cookingnerd607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 12:19 PM   #26
glass-gardens.com
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Heh, my two computers were built from used parts scavenged from computers set out with the garbage, course this is a college town so a lot of students just throw things out when they're done with school whether it works or not.

In fact, virtually all the electronics in my house except for the TV are freebies and even one of my 29's came from dumpster diving.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:34 PM   #27
tommyboy22481
Planted Member

Heh, I would never even think about using the installed OS that someone left on a laptop. I'm even suprised they shipped it with an OS still installed on it. FDisk is usually the first program I'll run on any new computer.

If you aren't knowledgeable enough to re-install an OS I would not recommend buying a laptop from E-bay just for this reason. HP, Dell, even Gateway all have a help desk that you can complain to when things go wrong, good luck on that with your E-bay purchase.

Also I would seriously look for a new computer geek friend, if your "Computer Engineer" friend can't fix this problem without going to Best Buy he's probably doing more harm than good.

"Geek Squad" - When I saw that in Best Buy the other day I just laughed.

Do yourself a favor and when you get sick of messing around with this laptop go to Toshiba.com and find something in your price range.
Old 08-20-2004, 04:57 PM   #28
aquaverde
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass-gardens.com
Heh, my two computers were built from used parts scavenged from computers set out with the garbage, course this is a college town so a lot of students just throw things out when they're done with school whether it works or not.

In fact, virtually all the electronics in my house except for the TV are freebies and even one of my 29's came from dumpster diving.
Sheesh, what a deal. Around my neck of the woods yard sales are quite a business, and finding a good deal on anything decent...well, it's pretty thin. Antiques are big business. I saw a guy trying to sell a dry rotted barn cabinet that you couldn't even restore for $150. It wasn't anything to write home about when it was new.

Curious, have you ever seen the Ames piano quartet? My brother-in-law plays violin for the group.
Old 08-20-2004, 05:34 PM   #29
putty
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ahh the Data Set...I remember that puppy on the C-64. Put a tape in, press play, and a short 3 hours later of eeekkkk...deeeeeeeee.prprprprrprprrprpraaaaghhhhh. ... you have pong.
Old 08-20-2004, 06:44 PM   #30
aquaverde
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Yeah, I figure it would take about 38 years to load Windows using tape.