Hydrogen Peroxide for algae Control?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 09-10-2009, 07:20 PM   #1
ricoishere
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

Hydrogen Peroxide for algae Control?

ANyone here eer heard of this, or tried it?

http://www.njagc.net/events/meetings...2008_01_19.htm

Using HP to help control algae?
ricoishere is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2009, 07:43 PM   #2
Postal Penguin
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

I use it all the time. Kills BBA quite effectively and has never harmed any fish. You can use up to 3ml/gallon safely.
Postal Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:51 PM   #3
abcemorse
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

+1, works very well. Most effective if used by spot treating with circ. systems off. I usually do it at whater change cuz the system's down anyway, shoot it right on the driftwood and it's (BBA) purple and dying within two days.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:13 PM   #4
BayBoy1205
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)

+1 on hydrogen peroxide as well. Done during weekly water changes.
BayBoy1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:57 PM   #5
macclellan
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)

Yup.
macclellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:27 PM   #6
rich815
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (34/100%)

Works like Excel on spot treating but cheaper. As mentioned best if done during a drop in water at WC time and squirted directly on the BBA but otherwise with all filters and pumps off so the HP is not "washed away" quickly with water flow.

That all said IMO with a large BBA outbreak the only true way to get on top of it all is diligent removal of all leaves with BBA and then use HP and over-dosing Excel to keep it in check and almost eliminate it. Otherwise if it's almost everywhere and you expect to just squirt HP all over the place IMO you will never win the battle.
My Photography Website (my other hobby)
http://www.lightshadowandtone.com
rich815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:05 AM   #7
Slick Willy
Algae Grower

Any fish losses using this as a general treatment? I've seen 1 ml/gal as the general rule, but I see The Penguin has gone up to 3 ml/gal. Is the filter off thing to make the H2O2 last longer or to save the filter bacteria or both? I've used it outside the tank for spot treatments, but never inside the tank.

I just changed one of my smaller tanks over to CO2 and the BBA has hit hard. Although I moved some Anubias from another tank, so that's likely the cause. I think I'm going to take the Annubias rock out first and Bleach it (without plants) before trying the H2O2 treatment.
Slick Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:28 AM   #8
ricoishere
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

I used it, no fish losses. Keep in mind, I used it VERY conservatively!
ricoishere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:32 AM   #9
cah925
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (173/100%)

The filter is off to allow for spot treatment under water. If the filter is on, then there is a water current that will carry the HP away from the affected site. I usually turn the filter off and wait about 5 mins for the residual flow to settle, then start applying the HP. You can see the HP start to work immediately as the algae starts to bubble. After treating, I usually wait about 30 mins to turn the filter back on or when the bubbling stops.
cah925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:37 AM   #10
bherren1
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)

this works! perhaps the most effective treatment i have used for bba and gha. i recently had a bba break out in both of my tanks and a bad case of gha in one (isn’t trying to find the right balance of lighting, CO2 and nutrients as a planted aquarium noobie fun!). i used a dosing syringe and squirted it on the effected areas. i used it on rocks, driftwood, crypt wendtii, crypt spirilas, crypt undulata and various java fern species in one tank. I did this in the tank with all of the tanks inhabitants (one betta, 7 rasboras, 2 otos, 5 ghost shrimp and multiple snails) still inside and lost none. i also dipped several other plants in straight H2O2 for 1-2 minutes that were covered in bba and gha from the second tank. i dipped rotala macrandra 'green narrow leaf', pogostemon erectum(rotala verticillaris), limnophila aromatica, alternanthera reineckii 'lilacina' and ludwigia repens. several posts that i read advised against dipping but i felt it was a necessary last ditch effort to salvage some of my favorite plants. i would say that if you are not prepared to loose the plants then don’t dip them. i also used H2O2 on gha that was on my substrate, filter intake, spraybar, and heater. i then waited about 30 min. and did a 50% wc on both tanks. after one week both tanks were virtually bba and gha free (missed one tiny spot on my driftwood). now, two weeks later, i am once again seeing good growth on the plants that i dipped. i will also say, although i would not recommend anyone else doing so, that i used this treatment rather liberally exceeding even the 3mL/gallon recommendations given by others without any loss of flora or fauna. had i more delicate fish (discus and the like) then i probably would have been more conservative.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:45 AM   #11
herns
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (232/100%)

I used to have Excel in treating BBA. Now Im using HP. I bought one good size bottle at Walgreens for just $0.99!
herns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:28 AM   #12
Robert H
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

It is a very strong oxidizer. It dramatically increases oxygen levels. For a few years there was talk that increased 02 helped to decrease algae. There are some products that emit small amounts of peroxide for that purpose, its called the "Oxygenator" made in Germany.

In small amounts its safe for fish, maybe not for inverts. It kills snails too. Even a small overall increase in oxygen will oxidize trace minerals to some extent... meaning it will neutrilize any trace mineral ferts you are adding. Thats why they are called oxidized minerals, (which plants have a hard time using)

Many years ago I dumped two full bottles into my aquarium. It killed every living thing in the tank, every plant and fish.
RAOK Club #1
Kindness like love is unconditional
Robert H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:11 PM   #13
abcemorse
Algae Grower

As far as fish go, I think they can handle a fair amount, I've seen them swim right through places I just spot treated and not really bat an eye.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:16 PM   #14
bherren1
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)

Robert H. is 100% correct. MODERATION, MODERATION, MODERATION. I did not mean to imply in my earlier post that others could do what I did and expect to see the same results. I hope no one read my post and started dumping H2O2 into their algae infested aquariums. The only point I was trying to make is that H2O2 is an effective measure in battling some types of algae. I would even go so far as to say that using H2O2 directly in your tank should be one of your last options in treating algae. Use this method only after you have lowered your lights, upped your CO2 or tried a complete black out to no avail. As far as using H2O2 instead of overdosing Excel, both can kill fish, shrimp and snails so pick your poison. In my experience H2O2 was effective on BBA and GHA. Using a dosing syringe will help you monitor how much H2O2 you are putting into your tank. And I would certainly recommend a minimum of a 50% WC no longer than 30 min. after you treat with H2O2.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:19 PM   #15
thrak76
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (23/100%)

So if you're spot treating areas, how much are you "squirting"? A mL or 2? Liberally?
I have a minor case of BBA on a few plants and would like to try the HP treatment.
Pimp #418: 2075, 2217
MARINELAND Pimp#5: C-220, H.O.T.

thrak76 is offline   Reply With Quote