Made CO2 bottles
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 08-01-2004, 01:01 AM   #1
fishyboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Made CO2 bottles

OK on my goldfish tank i'm planting... nothing special 110 watt CF 9325K's...

75 gallon tank no air pump or anything because of plants...
6 show goldfish (don't want to overdue CO2 and hurt them)
7.6 Ph with a little hagen CO2 kit on it now...
I want to change the mixture about every 3-4 weeks...
For filters i have a magnuim 350, filstar xp3, and a ac 500..

So here's what i want to know...

What mixture should i use in the 2 2L's and the 1 gallon bottles for the ph not to go below 7 and live as long as possible. I'm not completely sure about Kh but we get hard water build up on things on the tank...

Thanks a bunch
fishyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2004, 02:00 PM   #2
anonapersona
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default gelatine mix

I use a gelatine mixture... the recipe on Knox Gelatine, Knox Blocks but substitute 2 cups sugar and 3 cups water for the 3 cups juice.

Make the Knox blocks in an 8x8 pan and chill overnight. Cut the pan into 1" cubes, add 1/4 pan to each 2 liter bottle. Let sit out to reach room temp (can hurry this but slows initital production). Add water to about 4" from the top, not hot water, just warm (a bit warmer if the blocks are straight from the fridge, still not hot you don't want to melt the cubes). Add 1/4 teaspoon yeast (best to activate the yeast by adding to a cup of water let it dissolve and add a pinch of sugar, then add this to the bottle and fill as before, Ok to skip this but it is faster to do this way)

I suggest using a bubble counter to scrub any stray yeast from the lines and to catch any foam ups.

I also suggest that you keep the generator and the attached bubble counter on top of the aquarium until the gas is bubbling into the tank. When the pressure is low, the water absorbs any CO2 and can actually be drawn up the gas line from the aquarium. If you have the bottle below the aquarium already, as soon as the water is over the rim of the tank, it races down to the generator and may increase pressure there so much as to break a seal and leak. Even if it holds, the generator cannot overcome the pressure from the column of water and so it stalls. Be sure the line is clear of all water before you put the generator under the aquarium.
59G thickly planted tanks, rummey nose tetras, kuhlies
300G goldfish pond outside
anonapersona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 12:23 AM   #3
fishyboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

K well i tested the seals today... The gass seperators are messed up because i wanted to give them as much room as possible between the lines so soem silicone got on the threads adn won't tighten down right...
Old 08-02-2004, 04:27 AM   #4
fishyboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

OK now i've made a few 2 lilters.... Just did them tonight... So 2 2L's per gas seperator... then i'm makign a reator using the outpt of my xp3 with a python gravel tube (5/8 hose) with a lime wood airstone plus a lot fo foam.... hopefully this works good and seals correct