HELP! Snail attack!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 07-31-2004, 03:05 PM   #1
VaporFlowers
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

HELP! Snail attack!

I noticed a snail in my tank yesterday. I didn't panic immediately because it had a tightly curled shell, and I only saw one. I'm used to "invader snails" having pointed shells.

Anyway, I went into Petsmart trying to read up on them but couldn't find any information. When I went home, I studied the one snail more carefully. That's when I noticed a 2nd and I panicked, soon noticing tiny snails everywhere. I'm assuming I didn't check one of my new plants carefully enough for hitchhikers. The snails are round and kind of clear with spots.

Regardless of the species, I'm concerned about getting rid of them. Clown Loaches will grow far too large for my tank, and I feel guilty about introducing something I can't keep for its lifespan. Had-a-Snail and other chemicals... well, they're still chemicals. Makes me uncomfortable.

I have a 30 long tank with Emperor Tetras, Neons, Congos, a Rainbow Shark, a Rubber-lipped plec, and an oto. Are there any fish compatible that stay small enough for a tank this size? Or any other suggestions on how to get rid of them?

I have pictures but they're rather blurry, I might try to clean them up and post them later.
VaporFlowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2004, 03:55 PM   #2
shrimpology
Algae Grower

Seems like you have a Ramshorn Snail problem. You should start picking them up wherever you see them. They cannot breed yet, since they are too small, so you still have time to collect them out of your tank as they growing.
shrimpology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 06:37 PM   #3
Blade
Algae Grower

If it were me I would go with the Clown Loach provided your LFS takes trade-ins when it gets too large.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 07:26 PM   #4
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (170/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporFlowers
Anyway, I went into Petsmart trying to read up on them but couldn't find any information.
Alternatively, hit the search button, type "snails" and read some of the many discussions about pro's and con's of the different snails and how to deal with them.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 10:46 PM   #5
VaporFlowers
Algae Grower

Sometimes I forget about this amazing thing called the internet... I did search on it, and that helped a little.

I think I'm leaning towards a Clown Loach, because a friend offered to take it if I outgrew my tank (but I expect this would take quite some time)... and I also can't seem to grab all the little suckers. Some of them are tiny and I get grossed out after picking at them for a while.
VaporFlowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 11:21 PM   #6
fedge
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Why do you want to get rid of them... they are benificial in my 20L.... they eat all the excess stuff and clean the co2 ladder up. I have NO algae except for easy to remove hair algae (horse hair)..

They are just bad once they loose their food sources and start to eat plants (only my penny wort gets eaten in my 5 gallon--that tank is INFESTED--about 50 snail babies).

However, the snails are really rather short lived.. the big adults die off and then a new crop apears.. etc etc etc.. you will have a HARD time killing them with fish.. it may take a long time (many generations).. and a loach is not always guaranteed to eat snails...my yoyos only eat babies (ithink).
Old 08-01-2004, 03:17 AM   #7
Urkevitz
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

The only leaves ramshorns eat in my tank are dead or dying leaves, I have yet to see one eat a healthy plant.
Urkevitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 03:36 AM   #8
corigan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urkevitz
The only leaves ramshorns eat in my tank are dead or dying leaves, I have yet to see one eat a healthy plant.
Me Neither, I leave ramshorns when I see them. I also have MTS' in all of my tanks. If I do see a pond snail though I feed it to my zebra loach tank..

Matt
Member #6 of the Eheim Pimp Club - 2 Eheim 2213 & 2215 w/ surface extractor, LiquidDoser and Auto Feeder.
corigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 09:44 AM   #9
general1107
Algae Grower

When I had a snail problem the only thing that worked for me was the clown loach. I wouldn't worry too much about how big he'll eventually get. He might die before then or only grow to five or six inches it all depends. Even if he grows to full size and out grows your tank I was told that a full grown clown loach sells for around $200. Chances are though that the fish will stay small enough for your tank. After all look at how many people by bala sharks and other types of large growing fish and keep them. If they all grew to the size that they do in the wild then you would see them everywheres for sale due to the fact that they would outgrow everyones tanks. There would be more 2 foot bala sharks for sale then little guys.
general1107 is offline   Reply With Quote