New store in Seattle - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Washington

Old 09-08-2009, 06:01 AM   #16
plakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

I stopped by today and found the place to be really nice. Really cheap fish and Jimmy was pretty nice. He let me take some pictures so hopefully these will give everyone some idea of the store. I wasn't feeling like like being an excellent photographer after I got off work so forgive me for the quality in some of these photos. The Aquarium lights also mess with the white balance in the pictures.

The store is kind of hidden on the right but there is a sign.

The shop itself is a bit small and part of that floor space is eaten up by the koi pond. Tanks and fish all look clean and healthy. Jimmy is a fun guy to talk to and cares about what he does which makes for an enjoyable visit. I asked about the shrimp since I thought you guys might care and he said he is moving them to another rack he is making which is why he is low for now. He does have some ADA stuff but said it was a bit harder to get so he doesn't have a ton of it right now. He still seems to be setting up some more tanks and stuff right now so I am sure in the next few months his assortment will grow to have a bit more of a selection in fish, asking nicely also won't hurt if there is something specific you are looking for. He said he was getting some really good root tabs in soon so I will be picking up some of those when he does. If you are in the area or just curious I would check it out. I had an enjoyable time and I will be back in the future.
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2009, 02:25 AM   #17
Rob in Puyallup
Opae Ula Crazed.

PTrader: (3/100%)

Great pics, Plakat!

I was there last Saturday, bought a bunch of Sunset and Bee shrimp. I may return this coming weekend to get some of those Threadfin Rainbows to add to the collection I already have. Jimmy's prices can't be beat!

The shop is difficult to find, thinking we need to add a photo of the strip mall from the street!

Take care!
Rob

PS First time I've seen Badis badis!
Rob in Puyallup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:06 AM   #18
SvenBoogie
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to SvenBoogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post

For those interested the first GSAS meeting of the year is this coming Tuesday (9/8/09) at Seattle Pacific University, visit GSAS.org for information.
Was there, still need to sign up for a membership however.

EDIT: Glad to hear about the lack of painted fish, this is one case where I am quite happy to be proven wrong. I honestly have a hard time finding places to buy fish locally as I'm not eager to support stores that sell (or are affiliated with stores that sell) puppies/kittens, places that sell painted fish, etc etc.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:08 AM   #19
tundrafour
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenBoogie View Post
Glad to hear about the lack of painted fish, this is one case where I am quite happy to be proven wrong. I honestly have a hard time finding places to buy fish locally as I'm not eager to support stores that sell (or are affiliated with stores that sell) puppies/kittens, places that sell painted fish, etc etc.
Agreed. It's frustrating sometimes. There's one place in particular (not going to name names here) that stands out in my mind with regard to the puppies/kittens issue.

The Fish Store on Roosevelt doesn't sell painted fish, though, does it? I can't recall having ever seen them there, though I haven't really been looking.

In any event, we at least have Aquarium Plus now, with no painted fish, puppies, or kittens to be found.
tundrafour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:22 PM   #20
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

Hi plakat,

Thank you for the pictures! Jimmy joined GSAS on Tuesday night. Even with his very low prices he giving discounts to GSAS members that show their current membership cards. What a great selection of shrimp and were those some nice looking angels and CPD or what?

Seattle_Aquarist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:11 PM   #21
SvenBoogie
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm going to try to stop by this place this weekend (if I can find it) and hopefully pick up 10 or so Amanos, if they have that many left by the time I get there, as well as a drop checker. Will report anything interesting.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:06 AM   #22
plakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenBoogie View Post
I'm going to try to stop by this place this weekend (if I can find it) and hopefully pick up 10 or so Amanos, if they have that many left by the time I get there, as well as a drop checker. Will report anything interesting.
Its pretty easy just when you see the strip mall its to the right of the pho place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist
Thank you for the pictures! Jimmy joined GSAS on Tuesday night. Even with his very low prices he giving discounts to GSAS members that show their current membership cards. What a great selection of shrimp and were those some nice looking angels and CPD or what?
Yeah those were CPDs.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:38 PM   #23
Rob in Puyallup
Opae Ula Crazed.

What are CPDs? LOL!
Rob in Puyallup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:12 AM   #24
rasbora
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)

Like many of you I'm picky about where I buy fish, and of course that means I never buy anything from the shops in the international district, especially because I hate arguing with the staff just to get the darn thing sold at the real price.

I've been into Aquarium Plus five times in the last month or so, and simply because of Jimmy, the owner, the shop has become a go to place for equipment and fish.

He's willing to sell you aquasoil by the pound- he actually opened a bag for me. He sells ceramic bio media for $6/lb. and all the rest of his prices are untouchable. I've had some long conversations with him and he is a true hobbiest who wants to support other hobbiests.

I bought 6 galaxy rasboras that are doing great, and the last time I was in I picked up some cheap algea srimp. I've also bought some blyxa, bacopa, and pearl grass. All great stuff at great prices, though the bacopa had some algea but nothing awful.

So give him a try.
12th and Jackson on the south side of the street.
I think he's closed on tuesday.

Last edited by rasbora; 10-05-2009 at 08:35 PM..
rasbora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:28 PM   #25
SvenBoogie
Planted Tank Obsessed

I appreciate the review, and I agree with the sentiment. Unfortunately when I stopped in to check the place out, they were apparently completely out of Amano shrimp. The only freshwater shrimp I saw in stock at the time were a few yellow shrimp, but it was unclear if there were actually for sale. I was also hoping to find a glass drop checker, but he either doesn't sell those, or didn't have any in stock. My experience was the same as everyone else though that the owner was very friendly and knowledgeable. I really wish I could find a local source of Amano shrimp for a reasonable price... the only place that seems to consistently have them locally is Denny's, and their prices are usually laughable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasbora View Post
Like many of you I'm picky about where I buy fish, and of course that means I never buy anything from the shops in the international district, especially because I hate arguing with the staff just to get the darn thing sold at the real price.

I've been into Aquarium Plus five times in the last month or so, and simply because of Jimmy, the owner, the shop has become a go to place for equipment and fish.

He's willing to sell you aquasoil by the pound- he actually opened a bag for me. He sells ceramic bio media for $6/lb. and all the rest of his prices are untouchable. I've had some long conversations with him and he is a true hobbiest who wants to support other hobbiests.

I bought 6 galaxy rasboras that are doing great, and the last time I was in I picked up some cheap algea srimp. I've also bought some blyxa, bacopa, and pearl grass. All great stuff at great prices, though the bacopa had some algea but nothing awful.

So give him a try.
12th and Jackson on the south side of the street.
I think he's closed on tuesday.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:41 PM   #26
rasbora
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)

svenboogie: When I was in there last week he told me that he has an order of amano's coming in around the 15th. He'll be getting 500 or something so he ought to have them in stock for a while.
rasbora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:45 PM   #27
SvenBoogie
Planted Tank Obsessed

Nice. As long as his prices are reasonable, I'll be taking a good amount of those off his hands then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasbora View Post
svenboogie: When I was in there last week he told me that he has an order of amano's coming in around the 15th. He'll be getting 500 or something so he ought to have them in stock for a while.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:31 AM   #28
connordude27
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (36/100%)

just in today great store with Awesome prices Jimmy was very nice very honest and very helpfull i ended up buying 2 "algae eating shrimp" that jimmy said he had no clue what they were but they sound like wild neos but awesome shop with an awesome owner.. (a lot of fish there that i've never seen jimmy said he makes it a shop that doesn't sell the common fish) Everything was healthy but if you are going to get shrimp wait until next week to go as all there is left is crystal reds, algae eating shimp and orange shrimp, (he said he's getting a huge order next week) theres also plants at a decent price

Also met Seattle Aquarist there so HI lol
connordude27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 02:13 AM   #29
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

Hi connordude27,

It was great meeting you at Aquarium Plus, Jimmy is a really nice guy. I hope you like your shrimp! I picked seven (7) Threadfin Rainbows for $10....crazy prices!

Hopefully Jimy will be part of a "Shrimp Panel" we will be having at GSAS at our November meeting. This month (next Tuesday 10/13/09) we will be having a talk on aquarium plants and planted tanks. One of our members, Erik Olson of "The Krib" fame, videos most of our presentations and they are made available to members so if you miss a meeting, or would like to review a presentation, it is available.

Seattle_Aquarist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 02:42 AM   #30
Digsy
humble bumble

PTrader: (164/100%)

I have yet to make it into this store but it sounds like it's really worth a visit! Also, Roy, I'm glad to hear that the topic next week will be plants, I'm definitely going to try and make it.