Gelatine CO2 Mix slowdown
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 07-29-2004, 01:36 PM   #1
tendril
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Gelatine CO2 Mix slowdown

Is anyone experiencing slowdowns in production in older gelatin/jello CO2 mixes? My mix has been going for about three weeks now and I only get 1bubble/10s. I tried shaking up the bottle a bit. After a big foam-up, the production increased to 1 bubble/5s but now is back to 1b/10-15s. Does anyone have ideas on how to fix this?
tendril is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2004, 06:42 PM   #2
Rolo
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tendril
Is anyone experiencing slowdowns in production in older gelatin/jello CO2 mixes? My mix has been going for about three weeks now and I only get 1bubble/10s. I tried shaking up the bottle a bit. After a big foam-up, the production increased to 1 bubble/5s but now is back to 1b/10-15s. Does anyone have ideas on how to fix this?
Just seems to me that you need to start and new mixture. They don't run forever, and 3 weeks is a pretty good duration. DIY setups stop when 1) sugar is depeleted 2) bacteria infestation 3) alcohol tolerance level is exceeded. #3 is the case almost all the time.
Rolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 07:23 PM   #3
tendril
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo
Just seems to me that you need to start and new mixture. They don't run forever, and 3 weeks is a pretty good duration. DIY setups stop when 1) sugar is depeleted 2) bacteria infestation 3) alcohol tolerance level is exceeded. #3 is the case almost all the time.
Gelatin mixes typically run longer. I'm going to tip out some of the water and add more water+yeast. But just from the smell of it, I'd say that it it's not yet poisonous.
tendril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 10:07 PM   #4
anonapersona
Wannabe Guru

Default chunks of jello there?

If you can see chunks of gelatine left, then some fresh water and a pinch of fresh yeast may help. Could be that there was more gelatine than needed so the water fouled too fast. Or, the acidity got too high, did you add any baking soda? Try just a bit next time -- at the start, adding it now to acid water will make a mini volcano all over the place, you cannot get the cap on fast enough!
59G thickly planted tanks, rummey nose tetras, kuhlies
300G goldfish pond outside
anonapersona is offline   Reply With Quote