Piranha Vivarium (?)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 07-29-2004, 04:37 AM   #1
anthoeny
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Piranha Vivarium (?)

When I came across the photo of this vivarium (I think you would call it?) I was just floored. It's just stunning!!

Just for future reference, I would absolutely love the future piranha aquarium I am planning on to look like this. That would be amazing.

http://www.piranha-info.com/images/n...etdry_tank.jpg

On that link is a photo of the tank I am talking about. Given what you experts () can see there, what would be required to make my own setup of an aquarium similar to that one?
Main questions I would like to see if you guys could help out with:
What size is the tank?
What plants?
How is that planting achieved??
What recommended equipment would work in such a tank...and how?
etc etc!

Any and all information you guys can relate to me regarding how I could even somehow duplicate a tank like that in the future when I hope to keep piranha

Thanks everyone!!
anthoeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2004, 11:26 AM   #2
anthoeny
Algae Grower

I just discovered that the style of aquarium I am seeking advice on is not a vivarium, but a paludarium. :P

But the same questions I have about it still apply (generally, how to setup a tank like the one I linked!)
anthoeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 01:03 PM   #3
aychamo
Planted Member

So what is the difference between a pauladrium and a vivarium? That tank is freakin beautiful tho
aychamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 01:24 PM   #4
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

That looks to be a fairly simple setup. I'd probably go with something large, like a 75 gallon (or a 30g, 40g, or 50g breeder with an 18" front-to-back dimension) simply because by only being half-full, your fish load capacity is going to be MUCH smaller.
I definitely would shy away from the popular 12" front-to-back tanks like the 55g. You're going to need to make some "potting" areas against the back wall and with only 12" of room to play with, your fish are going to be sqeezing by between the pots and the front glass.
I'd go with a nice sized canister (Filstar XP3, for example) so I could run the inlet way down into the water and even use the outlet as a waterfall, if desired (could be turned off with a ball valve).

As for plants, even with a good amount of light, I'd try to stick with simpler plants since you're most likely not going to get a whole lot of light down into the water. Looks like that setup is mostly either sags or tenellus and some java fern throughout. Even if you did have great light and managed to fight off algae, are you considering CO2?

As for the external plants, I'd keep it simple at first. Two potted pothos and some creeping fig along the back. Be patient because it's going to take a while for the creeping fig to fill in.

That sure is an inspirational tank and if I had the room - I'd have to say than I'd be wanting to give it a try!
Old 07-30-2004, 01:31 PM   #5
Mori
Wannabe Guru

I think paludariums have a much more significant aquatic aspect than a vivarium, but I'm sure there's alot of overlap.

How big do piranhas get? I wanted to do a paludarium for some large fish I have, but when you add the volume needed for the water/fish to the terrestrial aspects of the tank, it just became too mammoth to consider seriously.

Still want one though!
Mori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 12:59 AM   #6
ming
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ming Send a message via MSN to ming

I believe piranhas get huge(I think about 12" or so) so you need a big tank.
I'm wondering how do you plant things without getting bitten?

10G, 2x13W PC AH retrofit, Hagen CO2 Taken down
29G, 1x55W PC AH retrofit, Flourite, DIY CO2 Taken down
10G, 2x10W PC Walmart Screw-ins Cherry Shrimp Tank
29G, 2x65W PC Coralife, Flourite Taken down
2.5G, 2x10W PC Walmart Screw-in Taken down

75G, 2x54W T5, 90lbs Flourite

http://www.mings.info
ming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 07:39 AM   #7
mad about fish
Algae Grower

i think the best fish to keep in a paludarium of that size ould be archer fish as you could have great fun feeding them off the leaves of the terestrial leaves above the aquarium
mad about fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 04:38 PM   #8
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

That would be very neat to see those Archer Fish feeding off flies and whatnot from the terrestrial leaves. The only time I've seen them in a LFS was about ten years ago at Rainbow Aquarium on Rt 23 in Northern New Jersey and they were $20 each! Pretty fish, though.
While the piranha's do look cool in that tank, I would want something a little less carnivorous. And since Silver Dollars are lawn mowers, I settled on perhaps a nice school of Bala Sharks if the tank were large enough.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:28 PM   #9
mad about fish
Algae Grower

its funny how fish popularity varies between country i see archer fish every time i go in my LFS

a fish i see every now and then in my LFS that would look good with the silver sharks would be flag-tailed prochilodus semaprochilodus taeniurus reported to be a bit of a plant eater but i have never had trouble with mine
mad about fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 08:36 PM   #10
skylsdale
Planted Member

Doesn't look like they have anything on the back of the tank, so thy might have use some sort of nylon netting to allow the plants to climb. You might want to look into a Great Stuff background, cover with aquarium safe silicone, put on some coco fiber/Bed-a-beat type material, and you'll have a prime substrate for F. benjamani, etc. for crawling up. I would also do as this person seems to have done--shy away a bit from creeping plants like the obligatory pothos and whatnot. Look into some lilies and plants that actually give you some height and structure.

Also, a paluderium has a substantial water secion (around 50% or so) and a vivarium has little to no water in it.
Old 10-09-2004, 05:53 AM   #11
Griggs2121
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to Griggs2121 Send a message via MSN to Griggs2121 Send a message via Yahoo to Griggs2121

WOW!

I love it. Piranhas do get big, 5-6" in the first year, then usually only up to 10" after a few more years. If you do that, please show me pictures every step of the way

If you want to do Piranhas let me know, I have some knowledge in that area
Old 10-29-2004, 09:31 PM   #12
MentaldisordeR
Algae Grower

heres a great site for piranha realted info...http://www.piranha-fury.com/
Eheim Pimp Club Member #77
MentaldisordeR is offline   Reply With Quote