diy c20
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 08-25-2009, 06:37 PM   #1
lg0815
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

diy c20

can i run the air line from the 2 liter bottle into the air input of my power head
lg0815 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2009, 07:16 PM   #2
SvenBoogie
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to SvenBoogie

As far as I know, the air intake on most powerheads is designed to sit above the surface of the water, and actually sucks air in. This means if you directly connected DIY co2 to this intake, it would likely suck out your co2 bottle and proceed to spray the yeasty sugary muck into your tank.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:10 PM   #3
Postal Penguin
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

I do that with my pressurized set-up and its fine. However, two things to consider.
First, if you do not have a bubble counter/gas separator between the bottle and the powerhead it will suck any yeast mixture that gets into the line right into the tank. Depending on how much it could kill everything in the tank.

Secondly, if the air inlet is after the impeller it really wont do that good of a job of dissolving the CO2. I tried it with my AC20 powerhead and all it did was burp out big bubbles. Try sticking the line into the intake of the powerhead so that a mist is created by the impeller.
Postal Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2009, 11:00 PM   #4
eyebeatbadgers
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers

I highly doubt the pump will create enough suction to extract the yeast mixture (C20 FTW!). It is possible, and you'll know within a few hours of trying.

Back when I was doing the DIY yeast CO2, I ran the airline tubing into the intake of my XP2 filter. That worked pretty well, well enough for a lower light tank.

If you do feed the CO2 into the pump, you do want to make sure the impeller smashes the bubbles up, so introducing the gas before the impeller in either an intake strainer or other orifice is best. I have used a needle wheel type pump, made by Gen-X (the 1000 l.p.h. model), and had very good results with it. There is also some good information around on modifying the impeller of a regular powerhead to break up the bubbles more efficiently.

Good luck!
Old 08-25-2009, 11:04 PM   #5
lg0815
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

can i use an airstone under the intake to my power head
lg0815 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2009, 11:07 PM   #6
eyebeatbadgers
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers

Well, you can, but most of the bubbles probably won't go into the powerhead. If there is some kind of intake strainer on the powerhead, stick the tubing into that in such a way that the bubbles will go up (bubbles rise!) into the intake of the pump. This will be a very effective way of adding CO2 to your tank.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.