Guppies eating BGA!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 07-28-2004, 01:27 AM   #1
bingojimbo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Guppies eating BGA!

For the past week, I've been battling my outbreak of thread and Blue green Algae. My theory is that when I uprooted some of the dying plants in my tank and did some aquascaping, it somehow gave the algae a leading edge and took over my tank. My nitrates climb to 20 ppm or more. I quickly did a 35-50% water change and continued to do so every 24 hours until the nitrate had receded and then i continued to change every 50% of water every other day. During this time I stopped feeding my fish to encourage the known algae eaters to forage on the thread algae (three guppies, balloon molly, SAE) and I stopped dosing any fertilizer. The BGA continued to grow and I suctioned off as much as I can every time i did any waterchange. I also increased the water circulation in my tank.

After the third day of not feeding, the growth of the thread algae had receded along with the growth of the BGA. And also i noticed that the SAE had started eating the thread algae like spaghetti!

By the fourth day, I noticed that my guppies and balloon molly had caught on and started eating the thread algae as well. The guppies' fully rounded bellies are evidence of this as well.

By the fifth day, I noticed that one of the female guppies started picking on the BGA! Now from what i've read, I thought that there were no type of fish that touches that stuff..to my surprise it just kept on pecking at it! Two of my guppies were the only ones that I've noticed that does this. The other algae eaters dont touch it at all.

I also have a pair of cockatoo cichlid, 1 checkerboard cichlid, 2 croaking gouramis, 1 licorice gourami, 1 pygmy cory, and 4 Ottos. I haven't fed my fish for a total of 5 days straight..and I use to feed the cichlids live food before then.

My question/concern is: Are the guppies that are eating the BGA gonna be ok? from what I've read is that its cyanobacteria..a type of bacteria. If they're eating it does that mean that its getting digested and that it wont return to my aquarium?

How long can my cichlids or licorice gourami survive without being fed live food? It's been five days since I've fed them and so far they're ok..but I dont want to starve them to death..should I be concerned?

Thanks for reading the long post..hope to hear some answers soon.
bingojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2004, 02:02 AM   #2
mpb
Planted Member

You will not starve your fish to deaf because in the wild they stay longer without eating. On the other hand I do not know how big your cichlids are but I wouldn’t like to be a guppy on tank full of hungry cichlids.

I do not know if BGA is harmful to fish. From what I know it only does not taste great. It means that your fish are really hungry.
mpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 04:09 AM   #3
bingojimbo
Algae Grower

Thanks for replying!

I only have 3 dwarf cichlids. A 1.5" checkerboard cichlid and a pair of cockatoo cichlids. The male is 1.5" long and the female is 1". The guppies are around 1 1/4" for the female and 1" for the male. Im sure the guppies would not get eaten. From my understanding, the cockatoo cichlids are peaceful until after they have spawned. Im thinking of removing most of the fishes that i have and just make the tank specifically for the cichlid.

THe presence of BGA has been in my aquarium for at least a week and a half. Im hoping that the BGA is not toxic to the guppies.
bingojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 07:20 AM   #4
mpb
Planted Member

IMO you could restart feeding the cichlids with small amounts of the live food. Probably the cichlids will eat all the food quickly with anything will be left for the other fish. The algae eating fish will no eat much and they will still have to look for algae.
mpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 02:31 AM   #5
trenac
Wannabe Guru

I have read that BGA is toxic to fish and that is why fish don't eat it, except in the case of your Guppies. Hopefully they will be OK.