What Black Silicone Sealant is safe and Readily Available in Hardware Stores?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 08-16-2009, 04:30 AM   #1
Goanna
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

What Black Silicone Sealant is safe and Readily Available in Hardware Stores?

I went to two home depots today and a Do-It-Best and I could not find any Black Silicone sealant other then GE Silicone II, which is supposedly not safe for fish.

I found Clear Silicone I, which I picked up a few tubes of, but I need at least one tube of Black silicone for the project at hand (Paludarium build, coco fiber background) and I would like to not have to pay 19.99 for a tube of it at the LFS (last time I did a project I had to order 4 tubes of it, so that added up very quickly).

Does anyone know of a safe one to look for? One that isnt too hard to find in hardware stores?
Goanna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2009, 07:29 PM   #2
dbosman@msu.edu
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Order it online from one of the fish supply companies such as Big Al's. That will take less time than driving all over town for something they won't have. And, it will probably be fresher. Ok, Big Al's is out of stock. Ok, several suppliers are out of stock on the 10 oz. tubes. Hummm...

Here it is.
http://www.aloha-aquariums.com/servl...quarium/Detail
http://www.petdiscounters.com/Aquari...lant-p995.html
http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategor...uarium-Sealant
http://www.dogtoysupplies.com/buy_Al...0002ASD3E.html
http://www.pets-warehouse.com/vpasp/...d.asp?id=91483
dbosman@msu.edu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2009, 08:13 PM   #3
FSM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Silicone II is supposedly not safe but I doubt you will actually find any data supporting that belief.

People also say that polyester floss (filter floss/the stuff that get's stuffed in pillows) treated with flame retardant isn't safe, but someone on another forum basically filled their tank with it and neither the snail nor the fish died.
FSM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2009, 10:37 PM   #4
Goanna
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSM View Post
Silicone II is supposedly not safe but I doubt you will actually find any data supporting that belief.

People also say that polyester floss (filter floss/the stuff that get's stuffed in pillows) treated with flame retardant isn't safe, but someone on another forum basically filled their tank with it and neither the snail nor the fish died.
I also was just told by someone on MFK that Silicone I and Silicone II are the same formulation, and that GE just "Re-Released" it as a new product to try and increase sales. They said the Silicone 1 also has the mold/mildew protection, it's just not advertised on the tube like it is on Silicone II.

I have no idea if that's really the case. But I would still rather stick to what's known to be safe, but at the same time avoid paying inflated prices just go get one that's marketed for aquariums.

I was able to find DAP 08642 Black 100% silicone a little while ago. It has no mention of Mold or Mildew protection, and I have seen it listed as being used on aquariums in the past. I guess I will give that one a try. Since my tank will also be using cement/styrofoam I'll be running it empty and doing frequent water changes, so hopefully that will help just in case anything gets leached out of the silicone early on. I'll also throw some feeders in there to test the waters after it's all done.
Goanna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.