AzFishKid's 500 Gallon Turtle Pond [PIC HEAVY] - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Ponds


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2009, 03:07 AM   #31
Centromochlus
Honeycomb Master
 
Centromochlus's Avatar
 
PTrader: (116/100%)
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Phoenix/Flagstaff, AZ
Posts: 6,631
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonbreedr16 View Post
LOL -> I can so see a minnow swimming top speed saying "AHHHH" with a RES chasing it and I'd be like, "Get a room you two!" LOL

I'll give some time for the pond to mature but I think I'll keep a turtle in with them...I think this pond is going to be deeper then my height! [~6'] I hope the turtle will be ok with that??? There will obviously be spots out of the water, but for the most part it's 2'-6'...
Yup that should be fine.

Just make sure there is a place for him to bask, that's important for their growth and health. But you should be fine, can't wait to see the pond!
__________________
Centromochlus is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-24-2009, 03:15 AM   #32
demonbreedr16
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
demonbreedr16's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Arcadia, FL
Posts: 813
Default

Minnows don't like basking...

ROFL J/K...I do have a few pics of the 250 running ATM, but I'm not sure if any one cares. lol
demonbreedr16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:30 AM   #33
EdTheEdge
Wannabe Guru
 
EdTheEdge's Avatar
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Lomita,CA
Posts: 1,777
Default

I forgot I already viewed this thread. But did again and enjoyed it thoroughly! You have some wonderful ponds there!
__________________
90 Gal - 2 Eheim 2217s - 2232 - 4 Rio 50s - 4X96watts CF - Flourite - 2X300w Visitherm - Pressurized CO2
EdTheEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:42 PM   #34
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!
 
Karackle's Avatar
 
PTrader: (16/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Metuchen, NJ
Posts: 4,187
Default

totally cool little pond! I LOVE the look of the waterfall, I didn't even notice it at first but I actually really like that, it's very simple and understated and blends in with the basking area, but still creates that nice flow (and i'm sure the pleasant running water sound)

Really well done, I'm sure the turtles are VERY happy in here compared with their tank!

I asked this question in your other thread too, but I guess it's really more appropriate in this one, (and as I said in the other thread, PLEASE pardon my ignorance if this is a dumb question, I don't know much about turtles or ponds ) BUT I'm just curious, why you don't just leave the walls low so the turtles CAN go between the 2 ponds if they wish? would it disrupt the ecosystem(s) in the 2 ponds to have them moving back and forth? would they hurt the koi? Again, I'm only curious! And speaking of which, i also had NO idea that turtles were good enough climbers to get up nearly vertical walls like that! WOW! a very interesting new turtle fact!
__________________
30g Low Tech Journal, 5 & 10g Low Tech Journal
1 year old Tibetan Terrier named Whisky
8 year old miniature Poodle named Cody
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!
20gH Planted tank,5g Planted Betta Tank
Karackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:09 AM   #35
Centromochlus
Honeycomb Master
 
Centromochlus's Avatar
 
PTrader: (116/100%)
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Phoenix/Flagstaff, AZ
Posts: 6,631
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karackle View Post
totally cool little pond! I LOVE the look of the waterfall, I didn't even notice it at first but I actually really like that, it's very simple and understated and blends in with the basking area, but still creates that nice flow (and i'm sure the pleasant running water sound)

Really well done, I'm sure the turtles are VERY happy in here compared with their tank!

I asked this question in your other thread too, but I guess it's really more appropriate in this one, (and as I said in the other thread, PLEASE pardon my ignorance if this is a dumb question, I don't know much about turtles or ponds ) BUT I'm just curious, why you don't just leave the walls low so the turtles CAN go between the 2 ponds if they wish? would it disrupt the ecosystem(s) in the 2 ponds to have them moving back and forth? would they hurt the koi? Again, I'm only curious! And speaking of which, i also had NO idea that turtles were good enough climbers to get up nearly vertical walls like that! WOW! a very interesting new turtle fact!
Thanks! It's really relaxing sitting outside and listening to the sound of the waterfalls. The two ponds are next to each other, so it creates a nice sound.

Our yard backs up to a wash where lots of coyotes, snakes, and scorpions hang out. The wall is simply to protect them from being another animal's snack. They love hanging out in the koi pond (i think they like it because the water temperature is colder, since it's under a tree and it's a larger body of water than the turtle pond) but it's not safe for them. When we first had the ponds built, i lost a few turtles to some predator.

We occasionally lose some koi to big birds too.

Quote:
I forgot I already viewed this thread. But did again and enjoyed it thoroughly! You have some wonderful ponds there!
Thanks! I appreciate the kind comments.

Quote:
Minnows don't like basking...

ROFL J/K...I do have a few pics of the 250 running ATM, but I'm not sure if any one cares. lol
Post some pics! I'd love to see some.
__________________
Centromochlus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 03:29 PM   #36
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!
 
Karackle's Avatar
 
PTrader: (16/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Metuchen, NJ
Posts: 4,187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzFishKid View Post
Thanks! It's really relaxing sitting outside and listening to the sound of the waterfalls. The two ponds are next to each other, so it creates a nice sound.
I bet it's extremely relaxing! I wish I could build a pond, unfortunately, I live in a condo complex, but maybe one day! I do have one of those little indoor waterfall things though and, while it's not quite the same obviously, I do love the sounds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzFishKid View Post
Our yard backs up to a wash where lots of coyotes, snakes, and scorpions hang out. The wall is simply to protect them from being another animal's snack.
Fair enough! I'm sure they are much happier in their new 500g home than their indoor aquarium either way, so that's good!
__________________
30g Low Tech Journal, 5 & 10g Low Tech Journal
1 year old Tibetan Terrier named Whisky
8 year old miniature Poodle named Cody
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!
20gH Planted tank,5g Planted Betta Tank
Karackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:11 AM   #37
Centromochlus
Honeycomb Master
 
Centromochlus's Avatar
 
PTrader: (116/100%)
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Phoenix/Flagstaff, AZ
Posts: 6,631
Default

I drained the whole pond about 2 weeks ago, and filled it all back up. Trimmed down the plants quite a bit; they looked a little shabby after all the cold weather. Finally starting to warm up though, and i've seen the turtles out and about frequently.

If i have time tomorrow, i'll take some new pics of both ponds. So much has changed!
__________________
Centromochlus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:21 AM   #38
FuulieQ
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: midwestern United States
Posts: 6
Default

Red-eared sliders?

Very cute turtles, and your pond is very well-designed.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:05 AM   #39
CL
C-A-T-S
 
CL's Avatar
 
PTrader: (79/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 9,695
Default

Update?
__________________
CL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:13 AM   #40
chad320
Planted Tank VIP
 
chad320's Avatar
 
PTrader: (101/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Spring Valley, IL
Posts: 7,646
Default

ummmm....... pictures, were watching you here!lol. cant wait to see spring growth. just thinned mine down.

Last edited by chad320; 04-07-2010 at 05:14 AM.. Reason: sp.
chad320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:38 AM   #41
F22
Planted Tank Guru
 
F22's Avatar
 
PTrader: (7/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: .201.
Posts: 4,349
Default

hey AZ, you ever have any luck with twist neck turtles?
F22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:07 AM   #42
Centromochlus
Honeycomb Master
 
Centromochlus's Avatar
 
PTrader: (116/100%)
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Phoenix/Flagstaff, AZ
Posts: 6,631
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F22 View Post
hey AZ, you ever have any luck with twist neck turtles?
Twist neck? I had an african side neck for a few days, but he disappeared one day and i never saw him again. o_o His name was fudge.

I haven't taken pictures of the ponds in a while, so i'll make sure to do that tomorrow!
__________________
Centromochlus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:16 PM   #43
Centromochlus
Honeycomb Master
 
Centromochlus's Avatar
 
PTrader: (116/100%)
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Phoenix/Flagstaff, AZ
Posts: 6,631
Default

June 8, 2010

Finally, some pictures!

Everything seems to be doing pretty well. All of the plants are quickly growing back after a cold winter. There was a huge algae issue in the pond about a week ago, but we added some algaecide and it's mostly gone now.





__________________
Centromochlus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:29 PM   #44
Centromochlus
Honeycomb Master
 
Centromochlus's Avatar
 
PTrader: (116/100%)
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Phoenix/Flagstaff, AZ
Posts: 6,631
Default

Snapped this cool picture this morning.
I may also get an eastern painted turtle and a western painted turtle from someone on craigslist.

__________________
Centromochlus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:11 AM   #45
Eden Marel
Planted Tank Guru
 
Eden Marel's Avatar
 
PTrader: (38/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Longmont, CO
Posts: 3,379
Default

Wow, I like it! TURTLE TURTLE! You are so lucky to have such big ponds (I saw your koi pond too), I'm envious!
__________________
Eden Marel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012