AzFishKid's 500 Gallon Turtle Pond [PIC HEAVY] - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Ponds

Old 11-24-2009, 03:07 AM   #31
Centromochlus
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (116/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonbreedr16 View Post
LOL -> I can so see a minnow swimming top speed saying "AHHHH" with a RES chasing it and I'd be like, "Get a room you two!" LOL

I'll give some time for the pond to mature but I think I'll keep a turtle in with them...I think this pond is going to be deeper then my height! [~6'] I hope the turtle will be ok with that??? There will obviously be spots out of the water, but for the most part it's 2'-6'...
Yup that should be fine.

Just make sure there is a place for him to bask, that's important for their growth and health. But you should be fine, can't wait to see the pond!

Old 11-24-2009, 03:15 AM   #32
demonbreedr16
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Minnows don't like basking...

ROFL J/K...I do have a few pics of the 250 running ATM, but I'm not sure if any one cares. lol
demonbreedr16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:30 AM   #33
EdTheEdge
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

I forgot I already viewed this thread. But did again and enjoyed it thoroughly! You have some wonderful ponds there!
Old 12-30-2009, 04:42 PM   #34
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

PTrader: (16/100%)

totally cool little pond! I LOVE the look of the waterfall, I didn't even notice it at first but I actually really like that, it's very simple and understated and blends in with the basking area, but still creates that nice flow (and i'm sure the pleasant running water sound)

Really well done, I'm sure the turtles are VERY happy in here compared with their tank!

I asked this question in your other thread too, but I guess it's really more appropriate in this one, (and as I said in the other thread, PLEASE pardon my ignorance if this is a dumb question, I don't know much about turtles or ponds ) BUT I'm just curious, why you don't just leave the walls low so the turtles CAN go between the 2 ponds if they wish? would it disrupt the ecosystem(s) in the 2 ponds to have them moving back and forth? would they hurt the koi? Again, I'm only curious! And speaking of which, i also had NO idea that turtles were good enough climbers to get up nearly vertical walls like that! WOW! a very interesting new turtle fact!
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!
20gH Planted tank,5g Planted Betta Tank
Karackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:09 AM   #35
Centromochlus
Honeycomb Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karackle View Post
totally cool little pond! I LOVE the look of the waterfall, I didn't even notice it at first but I actually really like that, it's very simple and understated and blends in with the basking area, but still creates that nice flow (and i'm sure the pleasant running water sound)

Really well done, I'm sure the turtles are VERY happy in here compared with their tank!

I asked this question in your other thread too, but I guess it's really more appropriate in this one, (and as I said in the other thread, PLEASE pardon my ignorance if this is a dumb question, I don't know much about turtles or ponds ) BUT I'm just curious, why you don't just leave the walls low so the turtles CAN go between the 2 ponds if they wish? would it disrupt the ecosystem(s) in the 2 ponds to have them moving back and forth? would they hurt the koi? Again, I'm only curious! And speaking of which, i also had NO idea that turtles were good enough climbers to get up nearly vertical walls like that! WOW! a very interesting new turtle fact!
Thanks! It's really relaxing sitting outside and listening to the sound of the waterfalls. The two ponds are next to each other, so it creates a nice sound.

Our yard backs up to a wash where lots of coyotes, snakes, and scorpions hang out. The wall is simply to protect them from being another animal's snack. They love hanging out in the koi pond (i think they like it because the water temperature is colder, since it's under a tree and it's a larger body of water than the turtle pond) but it's not safe for them. When we first had the ponds built, i lost a few turtles to some predator.

We occasionally lose some koi to big birds too.

Quote:
I forgot I already viewed this thread. But did again and enjoyed it thoroughly! You have some wonderful ponds there!
Thanks! I appreciate the kind comments.

Quote:
Minnows don't like basking...

ROFL J/K...I do have a few pics of the 250 running ATM, but I'm not sure if any one cares. lol
Post some pics! I'd love to see some.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:29 PM   #36
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

PTrader: (16/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzFishKid View Post
Thanks! It's really relaxing sitting outside and listening to the sound of the waterfalls. The two ponds are next to each other, so it creates a nice sound.
I bet it's extremely relaxing! I wish I could build a pond, unfortunately, I live in a condo complex, but maybe one day! I do have one of those little indoor waterfall things though and, while it's not quite the same obviously, I do love the sounds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzFishKid View Post
Our yard backs up to a wash where lots of coyotes, snakes, and scorpions hang out. The wall is simply to protect them from being another animal's snack.
Fair enough! I'm sure they are much happier in their new 500g home than their indoor aquarium either way, so that's good!
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!
20gH Planted tank,5g Planted Betta Tank
Karackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:11 AM   #37
Centromochlus
Honeycomb Master

I drained the whole pond about 2 weeks ago, and filled it all back up. Trimmed down the plants quite a bit; they looked a little shabby after all the cold weather. Finally starting to warm up though, and i've seen the turtles out and about frequently.

If i have time tomorrow, i'll take some new pics of both ponds. So much has changed!
Old 03-29-2010, 05:21 AM   #38
FuulieQ
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Red-eared sliders?

Very cute turtles, and your pond is very well-designed.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:05 AM   #39
CL
C-A-T-S

PTrader: (79/100%)

Update?
Old 04-07-2010, 05:13 AM   #40
chad320
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)

ummmm....... pictures, were watching you here!lol. cant wait to see spring growth. just thinned mine down.

Last edited by chad320; 04-07-2010 at 05:14 AM.. Reason: sp.
chad320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:38 AM   #41
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

hey AZ, you ever have any luck with twist neck turtles?
F22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:07 AM   #42
Centromochlus
Honeycomb Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by F22 View Post
hey AZ, you ever have any luck with twist neck turtles?
Twist neck? I had an african side neck for a few days, but he disappeared one day and i never saw him again. o_o His name was fudge.

I haven't taken pictures of the ponds in a while, so i'll make sure to do that tomorrow!
Old 06-08-2010, 10:16 PM   #43
Centromochlus
Honeycomb Master

June 8, 2010

Finally, some pictures!

Everything seems to be doing pretty well. All of the plants are quickly growing back after a cold winter. There was a huge algae issue in the pond about a week ago, but we added some algaecide and it's mostly gone now.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:29 PM   #44
Centromochlus
Honeycomb Master

Snapped this cool picture this morning.
I may also get an eastern painted turtle and a western painted turtle from someone on craigslist.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:11 AM   #45
Eden Marel
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)

Wow, I like it! TURTLE TURTLE! You are so lucky to have such big ponds (I saw your koi pond too), I'm envious!