High PH, high GH, low KH, dumb goofy water
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 07-25-2004, 05:10 AM   #1
tomanystraydogs

PTrader: (0/0%)

High PH, high GH, low KH, dumb goofy water

Greetings all:

I would like to know why my tap and tank water differ. I'm sure theres a reason, I just need to be educated

Tap - PH 8.8, GH 161, KH 143

Tank - PH 7.4, GH 179, KH 53.7

Tank is an established 46g bowfront.

Artificial gravel, emperor 400 and Magnum 250.

I pre-treat my tap water with Tap Water Conditioner, thats it.

Every few days I do a 10-25% water change.

Inhabitants: A few angels, a couple large headlamp tetras, 5 red fin tetras, a pair of ADF's, a zillion trumpet snails, 4 amazon swords and a few other plants that I'm not really sure what they are.

So my question is, why is the PH and KH so much lower in the tank than from the tap?

tia
tomanystraydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2004, 06:38 AM   #2
ninoboy
Wannabe Guru

Is there anything other ornaments in the tank that may release acid (driftwood, peat)? In the past maybe? If none, do a 60% water change and check the KH on the next day. After that, check the KH again a few days after and see whether it held constant.
Eheim Pimp #21 (2) 2028 and auto feeder
ninoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 03:15 PM   #3
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (174/100%)

Regarding the pH... fill a glass with tap water, then let it stand overnight and take the pH afterwards. My water comes out of the tap 8.0, and goes down to 7.6 after a few hours.

Regarding the kH, I am not sure... there are a few guesses, like Nino mentioned, anything leaching humic acids, or if you use peat in your filter, also natural processes in the tank will lower kH over time.

Regular water changes should keep it fairly even.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 04:25 PM   #4
tomanystraydogs

Thx 4 the reply.

I should have also mentioned I am not complaining about the lower PH, I like it, just wondering why it happens.

I do have a slab of granite in there, but that should have no affect.

I'm the first owner of the tank.

I have run the emperor with carbon before, don't think that would do it.

Can I rule out organisms (fish, plants, snails) affecting PH?
tomanystraydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 06:18 PM   #5
Rolo
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

There seems to be no problem with your GH, as that stays fairly constant. Your pH and KH on the other hand is a different case.

Basically, pH and KH are directly related: as one goes up, the other goes up and vise versa. In most cases though, KH runs the show and controls pH. In your case, there is some kind of acid that is using up a huge amount of your KH buffer, or simply something is doing a type of resin exchange (like peat). How often do these changes occure from tap to tank? Again, test the pH and KH of your tap after it has rested for 24 hours.

You cannot rule out the fish in this matter since they produce acids that eat away at kH and lower pH. Is this tank really overcrowded...or does it have big fish?
Rolo is offline   Reply With Quote