Planted tanks suck!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 07-25-2004, 01:25 AM   #1
aychamo
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Planted tanks suck!

Argh I hate that I'm a planted tank guy!

I'd like to setup a couple of other small tanks, but I feel like I could never do a tank now with artificial plants. So that means I have to buy substrate, CO2, lighting, etc for other tanks. Maybe I could do the smaller tanks with just easy plants that wouldnt need CO2. ... I dunno
aychamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2004, 02:43 AM   #2
Overfloater
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)

Haha.. of course you need live plants now. It's a given. For an easy "no frills" tank I recommend Java Fern
Old 07-25-2004, 03:03 PM   #3
anonapersona
Wannabe Guru

Default simple tanks

your second tank will probably be a standard planted tank, then the Q tank gets lightly planted. Eventually another tank appears, and if you are the limit of maintainence time, it may or may not get planted.

You might try a tank of shell dwellers, or cichlids with a pile of rocks and minimal plants, or a lot of planted dirftwood on sand. I'm finding the narrow leaf java fern does beautifully with standard tank lights and no CO2, limited ferts (got algae when I dosed ferts so I don't know how limited I need, maybe none!).

I think eventually one branches out into different sorts of tanks, after exploring a lot of the planted tank world. I have one tank of big cichlids (rocks and plastic plants), one bare bottom tank of discus (no decoration at all but fish), three planted tanks with Flourite and CO2, two wood and fern tanks.
59G thickly planted tanks, rummey nose tetras, kuhlies
300G goldfish pond outside
anonapersona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 10:32 PM   #4
meee
Algae Grower

i agree, get a cichlid tank!! (sorry, im still more of a cichlid guy than a planted guy). but yeah, how small are the tanks gonna be? u can actually get some small shell dwellers that will work in as small as a ten gallon tank (u could only house two though...and make sure they're not both male, or they will tear each other apart, at least that's wat happened to me). check out cichlid-forum.com for more information, they can help u a lot more than i can. o well, good luck, hope all goes well.
meee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 11:34 PM   #5
FMZ
Planted Member

Or you can get a Bolivian or German Blue Ram. They're great in planted tank IMHO.
FMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 12:04 AM   #6
fedge
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Yah.. i started ONE planted tank.. now all the tanks are being taken over by plants. I just can't seem to throw out the cuttings!!!! Planted tank with blue neon gravel...!!!!
Old 07-28-2004, 07:50 AM   #7
nillo
Algae Grower

Hey Aychamo, try doing a cool small tank with the PU Foam. You could do a little low tech soil substrate. Make a pendant that uses spiral PC's. I should have some pics of the pendant I made soon. I'll make sure to post them.
nillo is offline   Reply With Quote