Cloudy tanks
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 07-23-2004, 06:12 PM   #1
aychamo
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Cloudy tanks

Hey guys!

I'm doing fish research at university with my professor, and we have 9 tanks of goldfish at school. We are having a small problem with some of the tanks.

Here are some constants, first. They are all glass 10g tanks, they all have HOB filters, they all have no substrate at all, all are on a 12h photoperiod, all have 6 goldfish, all have been running the same length of time, all have thermometers.

We had a misunderstanding and the filter-pads did not get replaced (but they were cleaned every week) for a few months.

Three of the tanks are very cloudy. We've tried everything to get rid of the cloudy water. We've tried the Clarity water clearing solution. We've tried lowering the pH (pH of all tanks is > 7.6) and then adding back in electrolytes.

For maintanence, we do weekly water changes (25%-40% of water) and clean the filters. With the water changes I use a shake-activated (name?) gravel siphoner to get all the waste out of the tank while getting the water out. We fill it with water that has been sitting in buckets for a week being airated(sp?). After each water change I add 5mL of Stress Coat and Stress Zyme.

Today I did a 50% water change on the tanks, and even went a little futher on the tanks that were extra-cloudy. Does anyone know what the cause for cloudy water could be? The water is *very* cloudy in the cloudy tanks, it almost looks like muddy water (think Flourite!)

Should we try more frequent water changes on the cloudy tanks? We hate to keep adding chemicals.

I appreciate any suggestions. Thank you!

Aychamo
aychamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2004, 06:47 PM   #2
putty
Planted Tank Enthusiast

How big are the six GFs? Six of them in a 10 gallon makes me think there may be ammonia issues (ammonia can cloud the water). Test Ammonia, Nitrites and remember that ammonia is more dangerous at pHs above 7.0

How are the filter pads being cleaned? If they are washed in tap water, or hot/cold water, you could be killing your bacteria everytime you rinse them. Since there is not much surface area for nitrifying bacteria due to lack of substrate/plants/wood, you could be killing your bacteria everytime you clean the sponge, causing the tank to cycle every time.

Is there any odor coming from the cloudy tanks?

Hope that helps, or is a start for you.
Old 07-27-2004, 04:43 PM   #3
aychamo
Planted Member

Hey guys!

My professor tested the nitrites and ammonia. There was zero nitrites, and very little ammonia. She said that adding zuchini, as a dietary supplement for the goldfish, clouded the tanks. But adding lemons does not.

What makes the ammonia more dangerous at higher pHs? I'm not doubting -- just asking. The tank's pH are usually > 7.6, but we use a pH neutralizer in there. Is it bad to keep using the pH neutralizer, or would it be wise to nuke the pH to 7.0 after each cleaning (and also add the electrolytes via Electro-Right?)

Yes, we were using normal tap water under high pressure, and using a scrub brush to clean the filters. What should we do about the filters? She suggested using dechlorinated water to clean the filters instead of tap water. What would be an ideal method to clean the filters with the lack of surface area of nitrifying bacteria?

There is no smell with the tanks (thank god! I'd pass out when cleaning the tanks!)
aychamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 04:51 PM   #4
putty
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would clean the sponges in dechlor water or tank water and clean them very lightly.
They don't have to be spotless, just remove most of the gunk that forms on there.

Zuchini will cloud tanks, but you should only leave it in the tank overnight, and not let it completely break up.

When the pH is above 7.0, most of the ammonia is in the unionized (toxic) form, as the pH drops, large amounts of the ammonia will ionize and be less toxic to the fish.
Old 07-29-2004, 03:57 PM   #5
djlen
Planted Member

How large are the goldfish???????
What is the pH of your tap water??
Don't want to use chemicals? Then stop using them. They are probably not necessary.
Light goldfish food and floating some Egeria and Duckweed will feed them and the plants will also help a lot with excess nutrients.
Large (50%) water changes, at least once a week. A Python would be of enormous help with water changes.
The answers to the first two questions will determine how much maintenance is required. Do you have Tap Water Conditioner?

Len

HAVE DISCS - WILL TRAVEL
djlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 04:07 PM   #6
corigan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Carbon in the filter pads might help as well as long as these aren't planted. Of course that would require maintence.

Matt
Member #6 of the Eheim Pimp Club - 2 Eheim 2213 & 2215 w/ surface extractor, LiquidDoser and Auto Feeder.
corigan is offline   Reply With Quote