Good stream locations?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Hawaii

Old 08-03-2009, 02:30 PM   #1
Stim
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Good stream locations?

I was wondering If anyone knew any good spots to get O'opu/Opae ect. on Oahu. I know Nu'uanu stream has a variety of different fish but the water is pretty dirty, and I know Manoa stream used to have a lot of Dojo eels in it (maybe that's changed) any other cool spots that are easy to get to?
Stim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2009, 10:51 AM   #2
b15ser
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)

I went exploring Manoa stream (Manoa falls trail) last week and saw a few freshwater shrimp (looked like wild neocaridinia), crayfish, and a regular pleco. Never saw any Dojo eels up there though. Another stream I went to in the past was a stream in Kaneohe that had lots of different cichlids (five star general, red devil, etc. even small mouth bass), vallisneria, and CHOKE plecos. There were so many plecos that when wading through the stream, they'd occasionally bump into your ankles (the 8+inchers hurt!). I'll try to remember how to get there again..
b15ser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:33 AM   #3
Stim
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by b15ser View Post
I went exploring Manoa stream (Manoa falls trail) last week and saw a few freshwater shrimp (looked like wild neocaridinia), crayfish, and a regular pleco. Never saw any Dojo eels up there though. Another stream I went to in the past was a stream in Kaneohe that had lots of different cichlids (five star general, red devil, etc. even small mouth bass), vallisneria, and CHOKE plecos. There were so many plecos that when wading through the stream, they'd occasionally bump into your ankles (the 8+inchers hurt!). I'll try to remember how to get there again..
The dojos were near the park in manoa sort of near the shopping center as well as some type of water plant I couldn't identify (this was a few years back)

The stream in Kaneohe, how deep was it? and do you remember any landmarks nearby?
Stim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 02:23 AM   #4
b15ser
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)

Most of the river was around 1.5' deep or less, but there were some areas that looked to be about 3' that had to be stepped around.
b15ser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:25 PM   #5
oocfish
Algae Grower

Just visited the Manoa Falls and saw a lot of shrimp, although not sure if this was the Opae Ula...I saw a lot in the gulches, especially in the first one past the bridge on the right with that mini-waterfall coming down the rocks? hehe sorry I just realized that wasn't a very good description. Either way I know I saw some freshwater shrimp there, and some plecos.
oocfish is offline   Reply With Quote