What's the best sand substrate for plant growth? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 08-04-2009, 01:55 AM   #16
FSM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Dry fertilizer is cheaper. Might as well buy it now if you don't already have liquid stuff. If you've got the liquid ferts, use that til it's gone and then buy dry stuff.
FSM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2009, 04:24 AM   #17
Yassmeena
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSM View Post
Dry fertilizer is cheaper. Might as well buy it now if you don't already have liquid stuff. If you've got the liquid ferts, use that til it's gone and then buy dry stuff.
ok - thanks so much everyone... I am going to call my LFS and tell them not to order me the Flourite sand then. Saving money feels good!

Yasmin
Yassmeena is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2009, 07:38 AM   #18
cyberhog05
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

I used liquid ferts before I learned how to save money and dose with dry ferts. Dry is the only way to go. With your planted discus tank you will go through so much ferts because of WC's it will make you sick
cyberhog05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2009, 03:52 PM   #19
bradac56
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to bradac56 Send a message via MSN to bradac56 Send a message via Yahoo to bradac56 Send a message via Skype™ to bradac56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yassmeena View Post
Hey there - thanks.

I meant to use the excel and flourish in the meantime until I set up the CO2 in december when funds allow it.

Would the dry ferts be better even know? Also, what results could I expect with the flourish, excel + root tabs as far as plant growth/health?

Thanks!

Yasmin
Yes go ahead and get the dry ferts now. Four pounds of dry ferts is going to run you about $30'ish shipped and will last a lot longer than the Excel products.

You would get nearly the same results if you bought the full line of Seachem products: Excel, Flourish, Iron, Nitrogen, Potassium, and Phosphorus and followed there dosing chart but it would be allot more money over the long run.

For a 70gal tank using t he EI regiment:

Sunday - 50% water change. Add 3/4 tsp KNO3, 3/16 tsp KH2PO4, 1/4 tsp K2SO4, 1 tsp GH Booster
Monday - Add 1/4 tsp CSM+B
Tuesday - Add 3/4 tsp KNO3, 3/16 tsp KH2PO4, 1/4 tsp K2SO4
Wednesday - Add 1/4 tsp CSM+B
Thursday - Add 3/4 tsp KNO3, 3/16 tsp KH2PO4, 1/4 tsp K2SO4
Friday - Add 1/4 tsp CSM+B
Saturday - Rest day

Just dump it in dry about an hour before your lights turn on.

- Brad

VICTOR PIMP #58 -
VTS-253A-320 x2, VTS-253D-320, VTS-253A-1993-320.
bradac56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2009, 04:01 PM   #20
Yassmeena
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradac56 View Post
Yes go ahead and get the dry ferts now. Four pounds of dry ferts is going to run you about $30'ish shipped and will last a lot longer than the Excel products.

You would get nearly the same results if you bought the full line of Seachem products: Excel, Flourish, Iron, Nitrogen, Potassium, and Phosphorus and followed there dosing chart but it would be allot more money over the long run.

For a 70gal tank using t he EI regiment:

Sunday - 50% water change. Add 3/4 tsp KNO3, 3/16 tsp KH2PO4, 1/4 tsp K2SO4, 1 tsp GH Booster
Monday - Add 1/4 tsp CSM+B
Tuesday - Add 3/4 tsp KNO3, 3/16 tsp KH2PO4, 1/4 tsp K2SO4
Wednesday - Add 1/4 tsp CSM+B
Thursday - Add 3/4 tsp KNO3, 3/16 tsp KH2PO4, 1/4 tsp K2SO4
Friday - Add 1/4 tsp CSM+B
Saturday - Rest day

Just dump it in dry about an hour before your lights turn on.

- Brad
Wow - you guys are so great! Thanks so much for the dosing informaiton and all the support.

I will go ahead and invest in dry fertz, and follow that dosing schedule. Maybe I'll save space and time by preloading weeky pill boxes or something!

Thanks again!

Yasmin

EDIT: If my discus tanks gets WCs 2x a week, does that change my dosing schedule???
Old 08-04-2009, 04:09 PM   #21
bradac56
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to bradac56 Send a message via MSN to bradac56 Send a message via Yahoo to bradac56 Send a message via Skype™ to bradac56

No the reason I recommended the EI system is because it's a massive overdose of ferts. That's the reason for the big 50% wc on Sunday, to get rid of the extra. The idea is to give the plants every bit of ferts+light+c02 that they can possibly use so doing a 30% change on Wednesday wouldn't hurt (that's what I do for my Discus tank).

- Brad

VICTOR PIMP #58 -
Old 08-04-2009, 04:17 PM   #22
speedie408
ShrimpKeeprExtraordinaire

PTrader: (391/100%)

Nobody mentioned Turface. I just got some from a local member and have also read on it's high CEC capacity. I've never used it before though. Anyone with personal experience with this stuff? Sorry for thread jacking OP.
speedie408 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2009, 05:18 PM   #23
bradac56
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedie408 View Post
Nobody mentioned Turface. I just got some from a local member and have also read on it's high CEC capacity. I've never used it before though. Anyone with personal experience with this stuff? Sorry for thread jacking OP.
Turface is what Lesco replaced SoilMaster Select (SMS) with. It's great stuff and almost identical to SMS and comes in a few new colors.

- Brad

VICTOR PIMP #58 -
Old 08-05-2009, 12:28 AM   #24
FSM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yassmeena View Post
Wow - you guys are so great! Thanks so much for the dosing informaiton and all the support.

I will go ahead and invest in dry fertz, and follow that dosing schedule. Maybe I'll save space and time by preloading weeky pill boxes or something!

Thanks again!

Yasmin

EDIT: If my discus tanks gets WCs 2x a week, does that change my dosing schedule???
I use a weekly pill box container thing to put the ferts in. I dose every other day so I refill it every 2 weeks.

How much water do you change each time?
FSM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2009, 01:35 AM   #25
Yassmeena
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSM View Post
I use a weekly pill box container thing to put the ferts in. I dose every other day so I refill it every 2 weeks.

How much water do you change each time?
I will be changing 40 gallons 2x a week. A little over 50% ea time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.