Any Good Ideas For A Back Drop????????
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 07-21-2004, 11:17 PM   #1
danny
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to danny

Any Good Ideas For A Back Drop????????

Im Going To Set Up A Planted Tank Soon But Was Just Wondering What Colour To Use As A Back Drop I Still Have A Blue One Left Over When I Had Marine Fish, but i wanted to have a more natural rocky sort off cave look .has any one got any good suggestions i read once that a guy used natural slate??
danny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2004, 12:08 AM   #2
zapus
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

See discussion and links regarding moss walls at bottom of this page http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...?t=7960&page=2 I put mine in about a month ago and it has really taken off. See also http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8484 for ideas with rock and polyurethane foam.

Last edited by zapus; 07-22-2004 at 12:14 AM.. Reason: addition
zapus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2004, 03:43 PM   #3
malkore
Planted Tank Guru

Or just slap 2-3 coats of acrylic or latex paint on the outside of the back wall.
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3
Visit my aquarium pages - see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2004, 07:00 AM   #4
FiberCon
Planted Member

Black paint... Just finished doing that on my new 37g Oceanic that I got this past weekend.
Eheim Pimp #43 - 37g Oceanic Cube & Oceanic Contrast Collection stand, Coralife Aqualight 2x65w @ 6,700k, Eheim 2028, Eheim Surface Extractor, Milwaukee MA957 Regulator & SMS122 Controller, DIY Acrylic Power Reactor, ViaAqua Titanium Heater, Eco Complete

AquaLife - My Aquaria and Photo Hobby site
FiberCon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2004, 10:46 AM   #5
Laith
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm thinking about painting the back of a new 400L tank I'm planning to get. It will be a hi tech heavily planted tank.

I'd like to paint it either black or very dark blue. Any recommendations between the two colors?

Laith
Laith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2004, 11:21 AM   #6
ninoboy
Wannabe Guru

I always pick black. If you're not sure, just get a black paper from stationary section in grocery store and use tape to stick it at the back of your tank. I actually never paint my tank. I use the film paper that you can get from lfs and just stick it behind the tank.
Eheim Pimp #21 (2) 2028 and auto feeder
ninoboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2004, 03:38 PM   #7
FiberCon
Planted Member

I've always like paint better than paper or the stuff you can get at the LFS because you never get drip lines. If water drips down behind the film you'll see streaks through the aquarium from the drips. You can force the film up behind the plastic rim if your auqarium has one though which can help prevent this.

But, paint, ya don't have to worry about that, and it's easy to remove with a scrapper / razor if needed. The only drawback is that you need to be careful with moving stuff around on the back of the tank so that you don't put a scratch through the paint, but ya have to be careful about doing that with paper / film too.

And just to be clear, paint the OUTSIDE of the aquarium, not the inside.
Eheim Pimp #43 - 37g Oceanic Cube & Oceanic Contrast Collection stand, Coralife Aqualight 2x65w @ 6,700k, Eheim 2028, Eheim Surface Extractor, Milwaukee MA957 Regulator & SMS122 Controller, DIY Acrylic Power Reactor, ViaAqua Titanium Heater, Eco Complete

AquaLife - My Aquaria and Photo Hobby site
FiberCon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2004, 03:49 PM   #8
gnatster
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Instead of the normal lfs black paper stuff there is a self adhesive product called Oceanvisions. Since it adheres to the back glass, outside, there is no way water can get behind, leaving marks.

gnatster
gnatster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2004, 04:06 PM   #9
malkore
Planted Tank Guru

I've seen the ocean visiions stuff...interesting...but paint is so much cheaper.

also, with acrylic craft paint, you can do really cool stuff like buy crackle coat glaze, or sponge paint it to add texture and depth.
You can even buy that fake stone spray paint, although if you do that, spray it on some poster board, and tape that up. that stone stuff is REALLY hard to remove from anything.
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3
Visit my aquarium pages - see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2004, 05:19 PM   #10
oldfarmhouse
Planted Member

I Use Oceanvisions and find it pretty good about $7.00 for a 30GH but like paint your stuck with it untill you peel it off or scrape. I found it at some dog site on the net. I will look for it if your interested.
Mark..........
Member "Eheim Pimp Club" #35 30G High....65w Coralife...
Eheim 2224 Pro...100% Eco-Complete....Ebo-150w
oldfarmhouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.