Glass lined masonary tank. - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 08-02-2009, 09:31 PM   #16
c_sking
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I would say epoxy coat the concrete and use glass panels like tile except for a gaps to let water equalize behind them. Your in for a lot of issues No matter what you do. Would love to see some pics too.
V P #8
Me, no Iphone nope not I. Heck I would not even have a cell if I was not married.
c_sking is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2009, 05:32 AM   #17
essabee
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have already carefully plastered the bricks with cement mortar paying attention to the plaster being vertical. Intend to smoothen the sides further by applying a thin coat of plaster of Paris and sand-papering the end product when cured. With a silicone coat over that, I don't think I would worry about pressure points building behind the glass.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:53 PM   #18
bpimm
Algae Grower

PTrader: (29/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by essabee View Post
I have already carefully plastered the bricks with cement mortar paying attention to the plaster being vertical. Intend to smoothen the sides further by applying a thin coat of plaster of Paris and sand-papering the end product when cured. With a silicone coat over that, I don't think I would worry about pressure points building behind the glass.
This sounds workable, the only issue that comes to mind is how are you going to get the silicone spread out over the whole surface without it skinning over before you get the glass embedded? I have had trouble just resealing a large tank getting the fillets in and smooth before it skins over.

Hoppy, I'm in on your next meeting.
bpimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:24 PM   #19
essabee
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpimm View Post
the only issue that comes to mind is how are you going to get the silicone spread out over the whole surface without it skinning over before you get the glass embedded
I thought about that. What I need is a couple of willing hands (Hoppy and you are invited ), anchor the bottom of the glass and keeping the rest of it tilted apply the silicone while straightening and pushing the glass to the wall. I also intend to use a more runny silicone sealant.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:00 PM   #20
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by essabee View Post
I should have realized that you would already have done that. You clearly do think through your projects before starting them. But, my mind is still reeling over the idea of a 4 inch thick slab of granite held up by stilts....on a roof! I have a granite kitchen counter top, and once had a couple of big left over pieces of counter top granite, only one inch thick. Those sat on a couple of wood saw horses out behind the house for several years, just because it took 3 guys to carry them that far, and I couldn't lift them to move them, let alone make the coffee table my wife wanted made with them. Granite is heavy -very heavy!
Old 08-03-2009, 11:18 PM   #21
essabee
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
the idea of a 4 inch thick slab of granite held up by stilts....on a roof!
I built it in situ - so all I carried were the ingredients, that too in parts.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:10 PM   #22
essabee
Planted Tank Obsessed

I finally finished all the cement mortar work. Tired! Will take pictures tomorrow to show what I achieved till date. What took time was the curing period before I could remove the scaffolding of the 2 beams it was necessary to cast. The next job I must finish is chipping the concrete roof of the aquarium to enable me to attach white vitreous tiles on its surface. I use the tiles as my reflecting surface.

The glass for the bottom has been delivered, that goes in first, its 12mm transparent.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:34 AM   #23
essabee
Planted Tank Obsessed

I did not realise how tired I was yesterday. I got up 2 hours later than my normal time, and even then did not feel fresh, in fact my body felt leadened and all my actions lethargic. Breakfast and several cups of tea took me through the morning chores. So now feel more the thing, took some quick pictures (not good ones but these will do to give an idea of what I am trying to do. You will see part of my existing tank, "Incomparable", on one side.

View from inside my den:-

Last edited by essabee; 09-20-2009 at 01:48 AM..
essabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 04:38 AM   #24
essabee
Planted Tank Obsessed

..................... and the view from the terrace:-

Old 08-09-2009, 04:39 AM   #25
CL
C-A-T-S

PTrader: (79/100%)

That is very cool, and has awesome dimensions. Make an awesome scape! Do you have a picture of the tank next to it?
Old 08-09-2009, 12:34 PM   #26
essabee
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by clwatkins10 View Post
That is very Do you have a picture of the tank next to it?
Try the 'View User Tanks' under my avatar.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:07 AM   #27
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

That brain of yours just never runs out of ideas, does it?!!

You are by far the most out-of-the-box aquarium designer I've ever come across LOL

This is utterly and completely beyond my scope of expertise, but I'll definitely be watching! Who knows what I might learn!
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Sept 8, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:39 AM   #28
essabee
Planted Tank Obsessed

Being retired and with 6 dogs, numerous planted tank and my garden to look after, new projects only get so much time as I can spare. The type of work next on the project show what enthusiasm will be applied. As the work was chipping the roof of tank in preparation for the glazed tile work later - I did it in bits and pieces just before bath, as chipping showered me with bits of sand every time brought the hammer into play on the chisel. Now that's behind me- you will see better progress. If you compare the following picture with the second-last that I had earlier attached you will find what I have done last week.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:54 AM   #29
essabee
Planted Tank Obsessed

I hated that chipping work so it took a lot of time. I did the plaster of Paris work preparing the masonry surface to take the glass and finished it today.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:30 PM   #30
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Is the upper opening to the room there for access to the tank? And, do you intend to use the daylight outside as a supplemental light source? And, how will the front, viewing glass be held in?

This is shaping up very nicely!