Qwiksilver's 29g UPDATED PICS 8/27
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-26-2009, 05:38 AM   #1
qwiksilvertrav
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Qwiksilver's 29g UPDATED PICS 8/27

Just figured I'd post up some pics of my new tank! Been set up for a little over a week now.

Probably goin to plan to add some more driftwood I have and maybe get some plants growing on those. Overall I'm thinking it could use a little more planting wise but I could be wrong.
Fish are going to be added soon. Thinking I'm going to get a school of ghost fish, some yo yo loaches to eat up the snails, and a few more fish.

Last edited by qwiksilvertrav; 08-28-2009 at 03:03 AM..
qwiksilvertrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2009, 10:30 PM   #2
SearunSimpson
Wannabe Guru

I'm not sure if you meant to Ghost fish, as in Black Knife Ghost fish or similar, but if you did, you're tank will not be big enough for them. Just a heads up before you go and spend money on them.

"You think you have tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes it's not tomorrow; it's now- and that's all you have" - Marc Johnson
Ehei-Pimpfen 276 yo!
SearunSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:35 PM   #3
BottomFeeder
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

Nice start....
Eheim Pimp #381
Raleigh Aquarium Society Member
BottomFeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:08 AM   #4
Gatekeeper
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)

Not a fan of the circus colored stone. Very contrasting to the dark substrate and greens.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:49 AM   #5
qwiksilvertrav
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearunSimpson View Post
I'm not sure if you meant to Ghost fish, as in Black Knife Ghost fish or similar, but if you did, you're tank will not be big enough for them. Just a heads up before you go and spend money on them.
Sorry I meant Ghost Glass Cat fish, similar in size to Neon Tetra's and it's something different.
And the rock was just some of the extra decor I had laying around. I think I may take it out and put in the rest of my drift wood instead. Would look a lot better.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:58 AM   #6
Digsy
humble bumble

PTrader: (164/100%)

Looks like a good start and you're right, you should add quite a few more plants, at least until your tank is cycled to keep algae at bay. Also, if conditions are to its liking, that amazon sword will overtake your entire aquarium. I had one in a 58 gallon a few years back and within a year, there was almost no room for anything else. Keep us updated on your progress!
Old 07-27-2009, 08:51 PM   #7
qwiksilvertrav
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digsy View Post
Looks like a good start and you're right, you should add quite a few more plants, at least until your tank is cycled to keep algae at bay. Also, if conditions are to its liking, that amazon sword will overtake your entire aquarium. I had one in a 58 gallon a few years back and within a year, there was almost no room for anything else. Keep us updated on your progress!
Yeah I've seen pics of the Amazons and how big they can get. lol I'm thinking with it back in the corner how it is I'll be able to keep it tame enough to not overrun my tank. I know it'll most likely grow outwards since it's kind of corned...I'll see how it turns out.
I'm shopping around for a few more plants to tie onto driftwood right now.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:35 PM   #8
qwiksilvertrav
Algae Grower

Well thanks to everyone on these boards on giving me advice on how to get started!
I now have had my pressurized Co2 system running about a week and love it. The plants pearl like crazy daily! I just got a drop checker today and am getting the Co2 levels adjusted to 30 - 40 ppm. I also just started EI dosing a few days ago.
Now let me say WOW. What a difference!! The plants have absolutely started growing like wildfire since the Co2 started being injected.

My Giant Baby tears have grown upwards of 3 1/2 inches in one week. I think they already need to get trimmed! Anyone have any tips on how to trim them? I have them strung onto some driftwood with dental floss atm.

My Amazon has grown a bit wider it seems but nothing crazy.

My Anacharis are growing like crazy. They seem to grow almost an inch a day since Co2. o.0

My Ozelot sword has also spawned about 4 new leaves in the past week. I've read people saying it spawns about one new leaf a week on a good week...lol.
My Nana's (also attached to driftwood) haven't seemed to grow a lot. BUT I've noticed the roots went from a whitish brown a nice healthy green color after injecting Co2.

I'll post pics in just a little while. BIG difference compared to the pics above.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:00 AM   #9
qwiksilvertrav
Algae Grower

Ok here's some updated pics!! Tanks been running for a little over a month now. I also have my Actinic light on now so makes these pics look a bit different than the first ones. Any opinions? I think with the actinic light the tank has a nice crisp look to it. I don't think it's doing much for the plants so I might just replace it with another daytime 6500/10k light like the other one.
And above I said the Amazon hasn't grown much....now comparing the pics wow it HAS grown quite a bit! lol

Pic of the whole tank now, sorry kinda blurry

Pearling

If you look dead center in this pic you can see my Giant Baby Tears with some HUGE O2 bubbles on it!

And to me it looks like this is the perfect color! This is at only about 1 bubble every 2 seconds for about 5 hours. o.0

Overall I'm pretty dang impressed with this kind of progress and growth for just one month. And only a week of it with Co2. I'm pretty happy with this so far!
Oh and there are 5 Oto's in the tank but they're pretty camera shy.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:04 AM   #10
Green Leaf Aquariums
Sponsor

PTrader: (86/100%)

Well done What color bulbs are you using?

Regards,
Orlando
Green Leaf Aquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:03 AM   #11
qwiksilvertrav
Algae Grower

Thanks! Right now I'm using the bulbs that came with the canopy which is a daytime compact 6500k/10k and the actinic light which is 420/460nm compact. Right now I have the system timed for the actinic being on 12 hours and day being 10 hours (for dawn and dusk effect) and Co2 being on for the 10 hours the day bulbs are on.
Anyways I'm thinking of replacing the actinic with another daylight compact and running them both for 10 hours. I'm thinking the plants aren't getting the full amount of light they could be with the actinic being there.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:22 PM   #12
qwiksilvertrav
Algae Grower

Bump!
Old 08-29-2009, 12:37 AM   #13
Digsy
humble bumble

PTrader: (164/100%)

Just as I suspected, your amazon sword has already begun the process of total tank domination! I suspect next time I see it, it will have doubled in size again. Looks like you're doing everything right! As far as the lighting, I think you might like the look of another daylight bulb a little better. I have a 50/50 bulb on my shrimp tank and can't wait to switch it out just because I just don't like the way the tank looks under it.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:57 AM   #14
qwiksilvertrav
Algae Grower

Yeah it'll definitely be consuming a lot of space. My otos really love hiding in the thing to.
This might just be the excuse I need to buy my buddies 175 Gallon that'll need a home after his 275 is set up. I'd like to see if it'd fill that tank! lol