110g w/30g sump (56K warning) - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-23-2011, 03:03 PM   #31
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

Thanks, the tank is in the kitchen so it's the first one I see in the morning. The slate has worked out very well so far.
4" is an adult as they top out fins and all under 6" with most around 4 1/2 to 5". With 2 10g tanks loaded right now I think I have around 300. My son counted 154 just based on what he could see around the driftwood and plants in one tank last week.
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2011, 10:24 PM   #32
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

Default Baby Pics

One dark one found in the wood pile

Actually we can find two Amazing how fast they grow.
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
Old 03-29-2011, 01:44 AM   #33
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

Default Back to my favorites

hoo hum a break from the fun.

Setting up new tanks, updating my stocking list over Christmas, building stands, filling plastic pans, then the albino hoard has consumed my tanking time and forum posts. Only three pages in this string started in July '09 and the plec's took over half way through the second page .
(I kno,,, whaz up wit dat???) I'm an angel kinda guy. (fish anyway)

The pics are ugly.
The pics are out of focus.
The water levels low (sumps off).
Food floating everywhere.
Yeah it looks nasty but oh well.
Black fish don't photograph any better then aquariums with mirrored backings. Kinda getting a theme here? Nothing easy.
I was on a 911 mission.
Had to save a fish.
This tank thread was all about MTS, plants, angels and DIY on a used tank before the plec's took over and is once again.

My Colorado DD blacks were 2F, 6M adults until the last spawn when one sub male was beaten really bad and I thought for sure was going to lose an eye. Rehab in the quarantine tank for several months and he kept his eye YIPPIE! But I didn't put him back in the 110g.
Tonight it was happening again. I shut down the pump because the fish are conditioned to eat by this pattern.
I needed to draw the current losers outta the weeds.

The current site is the right side weir.

The left side where I dropped the food will be a 'no fish zone' tomorrow night at the latest because the second female is bowling ball round too with her tube dropped. It was a double wammy tonight. Pairs on both ends and the odd fellows caught in the middle being beaten back and forth.

Full tank shot

The rehab male and the guy with the case of road rash are out of the pan and into the fire though. Without the new tanks being ready they were plopped into,,,,, The "B" tank.
This 75g tank is all unpaired females, 6 of em And the gold veil and smoky veil are both real QUEEN B's

Anyhoot back to the shredded fins and feeding other fish, testing water, playing with the wife, kicking the kid and putting the dog to bed. ummm better slow down
Old 04-03-2011, 04:43 PM   #34
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

Several posts regarding veggies and pleco feeding include folks saying they need to be cooked or the skin needs to be removed. Thought I'd post these pics from last nights raw zucchini fest.

The old man.

Wedding Gown
Old 04-05-2011, 04:59 PM   #35
JamesHockey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)

So veggies don't need to be cooked first?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
SunSun Pimp #44- HW-302,
Eheim Pimp #457-2232,2213

My Nanos'
My Tanks Greater Than 10 Gallon

currently looking for a co2 system,i have plants,shrimp and live food cultures to trade
JamesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:12 PM   #36
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHockey View Post
So veggies don't need to be cooked first?
Even my little ones eat it raw. Starting off (tiny plecs) they don't make a huge dent until the second day when it's softer.
Cooking, even blanching removes some vitamins so raw it is.
I also feed algae flake (not disks or wafers)

Otto's and lfabn is what I'm speaking too from my experience.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:39 PM   #37
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)

Do you notice any difference between the MTS setup and just plain add dirt and wait? I've been thinking you'd be the perfect one to ask. I didn't realize they'd eat plain veggies. Are you worried about the pesticides? That's the main reason I blanched them.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:39 PM   #38
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

With a very similar group of plants I saw dificiencies on the MTS tank before the NPT based on time in use.
Posted this observation in a string which erupted into debate and something of an uproar that MTS must last longer and be better in the tank than simply adding dirt full of organics.

Starting a new MTS tank there was no burp in the parameters. With my latest NPT tank rolling in so quiet I'm not sure every tank won't be different to some degree or another.

To avoid pesticide concerns as much as possible I purchase only organically grown veggies for the fish. Cost is more than double but is what is. Two rows of zucchini in the garden this years .
Old 04-08-2011, 02:40 PM   #39
JamesHockey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)

are all your large tanks dirt tanks in some way?
SunSun Pimp #44- HW-302,
Eheim Pimp #457-2232,2213

My Nanos'
My Tanks Greater Than 10 Gallon

currently looking for a co2 system,i have plants,shrimp and live food cultures to trade
JamesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:15 PM   #40
nonconductive
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndracer View Post
With a very similar group of plants I saw dificiencies on the MTS tank before the NPT based on time in use.
I'll agree with that statement, which is why i prefer plain old dirt over MTS.
The Fraternity of Dirt #2
nonconductive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:54 PM   #41
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

So maybe if I add both I'll get the best of both worlds? LOL.

I love people. They love something so passionate, they can no longer see the flaws in it. It's great to observe, but frustrating when you want answers. Like my BBA. I've been told so much crap and nothing worked for me....I did kill all my cories with exuberant co2 levels... But instead of there being a possible simple answer, I was accused of being detrimental to the hobby and on more than one occasion told I failed, not the methods. Yet, these conversations are just cyclical. Why not admit "I don't know" and work on a solution for the individual's problem? I guess if you got me started on certain topics, I'd gnaw them ad nauseam as well. Like don't even get me talking about David Bowie.

I'm surprised you didn't grow your own vegetables already. I don't trust organic vegetables from the super markets after working for one. Let's just say the non-organics got frequently placed in the organic spot by customers.....

So here is a question. If you are always poking holes in the substrate, can you eliminate the bubbles from building up? I used to have a dowel rod that I would consistently stick in the substrate to release any pressure. Now that I am thinking about it, I never had issues with gasses building up even with like seven inches of substrate....
Old 04-08-2011, 04:50 PM   #42
nonconductive
Planted Tank Guru

if its co2 bubbles then theres no need to poke. but if its the other kind, poking it regularly, and or heavy root feeders will solve the problem.

yea and you just explained why i cant stand certain methods, not because they dont work but because of the smug attitude of the creators and clones. get a life already.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:18 PM   #43
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

How do you know the difference? Smell?

Where is wkndracer? Oh, it's the weekend. He must be racing.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:24 PM   #44
nonconductive
Planted Tank Guru

yes the smell...

he's probably out on his boat scaring the fish onto his pole.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:13 PM   #45
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHockey View Post
are all your large tanks dirt tanks in some way?
about 1/3 right now (5/14) just in total not based on size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
I love people. They love something so passionate, they can no longer see the flaws in it. It's great to observe, but frustrating when you want answers. Like my BBA. I've been told so much crap and nothing worked for me....I did kill all my cories with exuberant co2 levels... But instead of there being a possible simple answer, I was accused of being detrimental to the hobby and on more than one occasion told I failed, not the methods. Yet, these conversations are just cyclical. Why not admit "I don't know" and work on a solution for the individual's problem? I guess if you got me started on certain topics, I'd gnaw them ad nauseam as well. Like don't even get me talking about David Bowie.

I'm surprised you didn't grow your own vegetables already. I don't trust organic vegetables from the super markets after working for one. Let's just say the non-organics got frequently placed in the organic spot by customers.....

So here is a question. If you are always poking holes in the substrate, can you eliminate the bubbles from building up? I used to have a dowel rod that I would consistently stick in the substrate to release any pressure. Now that I am thinking about it, I never had issues with gasses building up even with like seven inches of substrate....
I like knowledge along with shared experiences and hate know it alls. (knowitalls are done learning,,, (they kno it all))

The organic veggies we are buying are individually wrapped in plastic with the farm information (if I remember I'll snap a pic before opening one)
I use my 12" planting tweezers and just poke to avoid mounding early on then leave the tank to breath. First couple month's maybe.

CR4 Outage starts today scheduled 7/12's so time will be limited for about a month.

I got sucked in by "Live by the Sword, Die by the Sword, Angels Rising" today at break then had to read the whole thread so my internet time was captured by that thread for the whole day. Enjoyed the side bar bs (great exchange) and the OP's tank is a real good read)