Species or Community for my new tank?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 07-20-2004, 03:34 AM   #1
Flohrie
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Species or Community for my new tank?

Well I have a brand new 36x18x18 that I'm setting up as a planted tank.

It will only have 4x30watt flouro's over it so thats about 2.4watts per gallon. I havn't really decided on plants yet but I have a LARGE selection of wood for the tank, as well as quite a number of roundish rocks. Filtration will be done with an Eheim Pro 2228. Substrate is a mixture of laterite and 3mm black gravel covered with a few more inches of just the 3mm gravel.

I'm just wondering whether it will look better as a species tank with a large school of Harlequin Rasbora's or Cardinals or whether a smaller school of both would be better.

I read an article about species tanks and how the fish's behaviour comes out more when they are in a larger school of their own kind and this sounds awesome to me.

Any thoughts?
Flohrie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2004, 05:15 AM   #2
Overfloater
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)

Species tanks are sweet and my first choice for stocking a tank. However getting fish to school is another story. My guess by your measurements is the tank is a 50G breeder? You will get varying opinions on schooling behavior but most will say that getting the fish to school tightly is tough. I had 10 rummynoses in a 40G and they stuck close together but often still broke the group, even with a large angel in the tank to "intimidate" them. This from the fish that is supposed to be one of the best schooling species.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:43 AM   #3
rchawk3
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to rchawk3

I had a similar experience with my rummy nose. I got a school of 11 and for the first week or so the stuck together in a tight group. But as they started to get used to the tank they separated into 2 separate groups and now they rarely, if ever, stay school in anything larger than a group of 4
rchawk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2004, 07:23 AM   #4
pphx459
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm still in my first week with the rummy's and they are schooling pretty tightly. The neons and the black neons are all doing their own things now..
Eheim Pimp Club #49, 2028, 2215, surface extractor, autofeeder.
pphx459 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2004, 07:45 AM   #5
mpb
Planted Member

I have 6 cardinal and they are most of the time together. Maybe it is the pair of angels tha are very territorial
mpb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2004, 09:11 AM   #6
Flohrie
Algae Grower

Its a 50 Gallon tank yes.

I've had 10 Rasbora's in a tank before and they schooled tightly.

I know a species tank is just of one species but what do you do for a cleanup crew?
Old 07-20-2004, 02:59 PM   #7
Overfloater
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flohrie
Its a 50 Gallon tank yes.

I've had 10 Rasbora's in a tank before and they schooled tightly.

I know a species tank is just of one species but what do you do for a cleanup crew?
Species don't include cleanup fish At that time I had 3 Ottos and an SAE. I probably could have done without them though as algae was not an issue.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:06 PM   #8
Capt.
Planted Member

Amanos or cherry shrimp are interesting and will do a good job with any leftover food or algae that grows in the tank.

I am a big fan of loaches as well for bottom feeders. They are always skimming the bottom for any bits of food. 5-6 yoyos would look great but wouldn't be from the same area as cardinal tetras if that matters to you. Harlequins and loaches are from close areas, not sure if same or not though.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:53 PM   #9
Laith
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have 15 cardinal tetras and they didn't school much; usually all over the 200L tank.

Then I introduced 4 discus...

The cardinals now stick together.

Laith
Laith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2004, 12:22 PM   #10
Flohrie
Algae Grower

Well I'd rather have a community tank with bottom feeders to clean up a bit, but still deciding whether just a larger school of 1 fish, or 2 smaller schools of 2 different fish.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:28 PM   #11
corigan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Like mentioned in this thread, make sure if you add schooling fish that you add a larger fish to make them school tighter. I have never been able to just keep a species tank (not enough discipline), but I find them stunning.

Matt
Member #6 of the Eheim Pimp Club - 2 Eheim 2213 & 2215 w/ surface extractor, LiquidDoser and Auto Feeder.
corigan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2004, 05:48 AM   #12
anonapersona
Wannabe Guru

Default species groups

I think that you can mix the groups, but be sure to have enough of each to make for good group behavior.

Cardinals and serpae tetras work well, the serpaes can't catch the tetras but they keep trying to intimidate them. The cardinals school some, when moving from one side to the other, but mill about in the plants individually.

Mix another group of bottom dwellers, then a group of top dwellers if you have room after the cleanup crew.
59G thickly planted tanks, rummey nose tetras, kuhlies
300G goldfish pond outside
anonapersona is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2004, 06:11 AM   #13
observant_imp
changing to CherylH

PTrader: (11/100%)

If you go with 2 types, try to pick ones that don't have similar appearance. Two schools will stay separated better if they have different appearance and occupy different strata in the tank. If you pick , for example, 2 striped fish you will observe fish miscue and peel off from the school they're in and join the other.

My favorite combo (and one is better--if you can stick to it ) is glowlight tetras with harlequin rasboras. I've never had the combo in a smaller tank. The glowlights will tend to stay below the midline of the tank and school. The rasboras stay around the midline and tend to group a little more loosely.
observant_imp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2004, 06:15 AM   #14
pufferfreak
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via MSN to pufferfreak Send a message via Yahoo to pufferfreak

IN my 55, i'm doing a kind of species tank, 2 speices of plants (wisteria and dwarf sag), pond snails, 20 ghost shrimp, and 40 Harlequin Rasbora's. The tank is not setup yet, but thats my plan
pufferfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2004, 12:14 PM   #15
Flohrie
Algae Grower

Well I love Harlequin's so they'll be in there for sure.

For the bottom feeders would a smallish school of clown loaches or cory's be better?

Anyone have any good pictures of some tanks with schools in them?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.