fertilizer confusion
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 07-19-2004, 04:14 AM   #1
Mike Lazuka
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

fertilizer confusion

Hello,
I am new to planted tanks, I just got everything planted. I have java fern, anubias, anacharis, crypts, and sagittaria. Im running 2.1 WPG of PC lighting. I was about to purchase a bottle of fertilizer (Flourish), but when I went to seachem's website I saw about four other parameter specific fertilizers, I think it was potassium, nitrogen, phosphorus and iron. I had no idea what this was all about so I came here and read some posts about fertilizing. Now I am really lost. I thought fertilizing was something as simple as having a bottle and just adding some every week or so. I guess its not. Can somebody please explain an easier way to fertilize my tank? My tank is heavily planted, but most are slow growing plants. Im not looking for extremely fast growth, just something to help use my nitrates since the tank has a heavy fish load. Since I cant use co2 since it lowers my ph, (I cant have this since they are african cichlids) I was thinking of trying the flourish excel, any thoughts on this? Im just really lost when it comes to this whole fertilizing business, can anybody help, Id really appreciate it, Thanks
Mike Lazuka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2004, 04:52 AM   #2
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (163/100%)

Here is a starter: http://www.plantedtank.net/fertilizers.html but it's really for a high maintenance tank.

If you don't add CO2, you might get away with just the bottle of Flourish you mentioned. That's what I would do... keep observing your plants.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2004, 07:46 AM   #3
Mike Lazuka
Algae Grower

Thanks for the reply. One thing confused me though, when it talked about dosing potassium. What does this mean "Pottasiumm is difficult to test for and is not toxic to fish even at much higher dosages, so it is generally dosed at water change time to a sufficient level to bring the water change volume to that level." What level are they speaking of? If I cant test my water for potassium, how would I know how much to dose? thanks
Old 07-19-2004, 10:30 AM   #4
ninoboy
Wannabe Guru

Mike,
Potassium test tool is not available for most of us. The targeted potassium level is 20ppm. Overdosing potassium will not have any bad effect on fish nor plants. It's not like iron or phosphate where overdosing could cause algae break out straight away. If you dose KNO3, you may not need to dose extra potassium. But assuming you don't dose KNO3, you may want to dose it only after water change to avoid any excess build up since you can't test the level and no way of knowing how fast plants use it.
Eheim Pimp #21 (2) 2028 and auto feeder
ninoboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2004, 12:53 PM   #5
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

In a tank with high nitrate problems water changes are your best bet. Slow growing plants are not really going to be able to keep up with it. And at your lighting level and with your plants you really don't need to worry much about fertilization. I would hazard to say that your bottle of Flourish is going to work quite well for you for a long time.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2004, 08:28 PM   #6
Mike Lazuka
Algae Grower

Thanks for the replies, So do you think that maybe I can get away without having to mess around with different fertilizers? I could just use a more general fertilizer like flourish? What about the major nutrients the plants need like potassium, and phosphorus? (Im just assuming I wouldnt need nitrates since my fish produce more than enough) How would I make sure there wont be any specific nutrient deficiency? Also Rex, I already do a 50% water change every week to keep my nitrates down, I cant do much more without stressing the fish out. I just want the plants to give just moderate growth to at least consume some nitrates in between water changes to help keep them down, because even with the large water change they are still a little higher than I want them to be. Thanks for your help

Last edited by Mike Lazuka; 07-20-2004 at 12:22 AM..
Old 07-20-2004, 02:32 AM   #7
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

If you are worried you can go to www.gregwatson.com and get his combo pack. That should provide everything your plants need for a very long time.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:53 AM   #8
Mike Lazuka
Algae Grower

Thanks Rex, when you say combo pack do you mean the PMDD Pre-mix? I couldnt find it on his website? Thanks
Old 07-20-2004, 12:53 PM   #9
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

That's the one.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:29 PM   #10
Mike Lazuka
Algae Grower

Thanks Rex, what about the potassium nitrate though? Won't that increase my nitrates?
Old 07-20-2004, 02:39 PM   #11
Overfloater
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lazuka
Thanks Rex, what about the potassium nitrate though? Won't that increase my nitrates?

That's the idea. However you stated you have a high fish load. That should produce enough nitrate for your slow growing plants. I wouldn't add any KNO3.

Do you have a NO3 test kit and if so what are your levels? With slow growing plants a decent fish load all you would need to add is a micro nutrient mix such as Flourish or Plantex + B. Possibly iron also but I wouldn't worry about that right away.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:49 PM   #12
Mike Lazuka
Algae Grower

I just tested my nitrates last night and they are about 20 ppm, and I thought I remember reading that between 5-10 ppm of nitrates is plenty for the plants. So I dont think I should be adding nitrates that my fish are producing too much of anyways. What is in the CSM+B Plantex? On his site it doesnt say? thanks
Old 07-20-2004, 02:54 PM   #13
Mike Lazuka
Algae Grower

sorry, I just found it, do you know what the B is? Is that Boron? Does this plantex do the same as flourish?
Old 07-20-2004, 03:21 PM   #14
djlen
Planted Member

Yes, it is a Trace mix + B(Boron). Unlike Flourish, it comes as a powder and needs to be mixed with water. Goes a lot further for the money.
Keep your levels as follows: N= 5 - 10ppm, P= .50 - 1.0ppm, K= 20ppm. 30 - 50% water change weekly.

Len

HAVE DISCS - WILL TRAVEL
djlen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2010, 10:18 AM   #15
edsabhrain

I recently purchased the G. Watson’s Guide to Dosing Strategies. I find it very helpful for
every aquarist like me.

I have a question about NPK ratio.

I was able to find a NPK -15-15-5 liquid fertilizer in a local garden supply store.
I want to know if I can use this for my 80 gals. planted aquarium with the following details?

Pressurized CO2 cylinder with timer (automatically shuts off @ night) + PH controller + 12 hrs.photo light + 30W x 5 fluorescent light + 30W x 1 blue light
Dolphin C1000 external filter @ 1100 L/h + 2 x 100W submersible heater set at 28 deg.

My aquarium is into 14 days of cycling at the moment with 2 black skirt tetra as cycling/starter fish. There is a slight diatom algae bloom, but my snails are taking care of it.
And I did a 2-small pail water change where I vacuumed a spot of diatom algae at the bottom of my gravel substrate. Temperature maintained at 28-30 deg.

Presently I am using the Seachem products for my ferts. I am planning to use a DIY solution later considering the cost of the Seachem ferts.

If it is ok to use it, what is the recommended dosing strategies (volume in mL / day)?

I want to apply a 25% water change once a week. Is it ideal?, (considering that a 50 % water change is recommended
from your guide book.)

Thanks and best regards to all.
edsabhrain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.