Carbon and Peat Question!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 07-19-2004, 02:00 AM   #1
scalare altum
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to scalare altum

Carbon and Peat Question!

I noticed a lot of people that use carbon have crystal clear tanks. I want to use it but I have heard you shouldn't for planted tanks. Is that true?

Other reasons I want to use it is that it takes away the smells in the water as well.

I use peat to lower my pH in my tanks, will adding carbon take away the pH lowering affects of the peat?

Thanks,

Joel
We always put animals in cages so that we can take pleasure in seeing them. Perhpas if we put them in places that they can take pleasure in living in, then we would find them more beautiful to look at when they showed themselves. -Takashi Amano
scalare altum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2004, 05:07 AM   #2
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)
Lightbulb

Please use the search button "Activated Carbon" and do some quick reading, the use of carbon in planted tanks has come up a few times.

Regarding the peat vs carbon, I think that you are right, fresh activated carbon would probably filter out humic acids... not sure though.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 05:29 AM   #3
Fishbulb
Algae Grower

So you brought up several different issues here.

1. THe main reason not to use carbon in a planted tank is that it removes a lot of trace elements and ferts that you want in the tank. However, if you dose on a daily basis and monitor you daily levels, then there should be no problem there.

2. i'm not sure exactly how activated carbon relates to a "crystal clear" tank. It really depends on what exaclty is fouling up your water. If it is chemical (such as medications of dyes for some reason) then activated carbon is the way to go. However this only needs to be temporary until the water clears up. Then simply remove the carbon. If the tank is cloudy becomes of suspended particles then i dont' think the carbon will do anything. Water changes are always a good remedy but in the case of particles a diatom filter may alson be a good idea.

I was sure there was more i wanted to write but my brain is simply nmot functyioing right now so i'm off to bed. Good luck. The best thing about activated carbon is that it's re;atively cheap. So try it if you want to and judge for yourself. i never use it in planted tanks i unless i i'm using it to remove meds.

FB
Old 07-19-2004, 05:34 AM   #4
Fishbulb
Algae Grower

Ahhh yes the peat moss issue

I actually dont think the activated carbon will remove the acids from your peat moss (no disrespect intended wasserpest). I doubt your pH will be affected at all but this is simply a hunch. If you do decided to go with activated carbon (which i wouldn't particularly recommend unless you have reasons to) then simply monitor your pH. If it does change, it will probably be gradual as the carbon does it's work. Your fish will certainly not suffer from this experiment so just try it.

ok i think that is all
FB
Old 07-19-2004, 05:11 PM   #5
scalare altum
Algae Grower

Thanks for the tips guys.

-Joel
We always put animals in cages so that we can take pleasure in seeing them. Perhpas if we put them in places that they can take pleasure in living in, then we would find them more beautiful to look at when they showed themselves. -Takashi Amano
Old 07-20-2004, 03:37 AM   #6
scalare altum
Algae Grower

I have pretty much all root feeder plants, if added carbon would that affect them?

-Joel
Old 07-26-2004, 08:28 AM   #7
aquamoon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Thumbs up

I'M a big fan of the uses of peat and carbon in tanks . the carbon will remove the tea color from peat moss.ive been adding one qt. per 25 gals. (moss) for years and just have great things to say about it. and as to carbon affecting your rooted plants .. ive never had problem with it :
aquamoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 12:05 PM   #8
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

The best way to get crystal clear water is through good tank maintenance habits... do not overstock, overfeed and do regular water changes. Especially in planted tanks, if there is any cloud to your water at all you are breaking one of these rules and carbon isnt the answer...

Carbon use is for Plastic plants and goldfish bowls...