Please HELP, tank Emergency!! My tank is a hotzone
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 07-11-2009, 11:50 PM   #1
Iloveangelfish432
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Please HELP, tank Emergency!! My tank is a hotzone

All the inhabitants in my tank are about to die. This is not a new tank syndrome, I've been keeping fish for 3 years. I've never had any disease outbreaks, or even algae. This part of fishkeeping is all new to me.
The fish are all hanging near the surface of the water and moving their gills rapidly. A Bolivian ram is breathing heavily, but he is not at the surface of the water. Yesterday I did a a test: Ammmonia and nitrite are zero. I decided to change 40 percent water and added Prime. Then I added a powerhead for oxygen. An amano shrimp died last night.
10 Minutes ago today another amano shrimp died.
Inhabitants: 1 bolivian ram, 5 show guppies, amano shrimps, guppy frys, 30 gallon planted tank.
Temp: 82 degrees F
Iloveangelfish432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2009, 12:03 AM   #2
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

82 degrees should not 'cook' anybody all my tanks end up around 80-84F during the summer. Are you getting good bubbling out of the power head?
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:50 AM   #3
Iloveangelfish432
Algae Grower

I've just added more aeration, and the fish seem to be happier. The ram is definitely showing signs of improvement, as he is now flapping his gills slower. The guppies are breathing in the same way, but at least they are not hanging around the surface of the water anymore. I can only hope it's as easy as this...
Old 07-12-2009, 01:19 AM   #4
Birds'nBunny
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

Is it possible that some sort of contaminant got into the tank? If I were you I would continue to water change, although not so much that it stresses the fish. It can't hurt, and it might help.
Good luck, I hope it works out ok!
Birds'nBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 01:47 AM   #5
finfan
Planted Member

sometimes with hight temp prime can become toxic, so be careful how much prime you use
AGA standard 55 - 55 gallon mixed cichlid
finfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 02:05 AM   #6
Iloveangelfish432
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by finfan View Post
sometimes with hight temp prime can become toxic, so be careful how much prime you use
Did seachem say this?

EDIT: question answered. Thank you

Last edited by Iloveangelfish432; 07-12-2009 at 05:43 AM..
Old 07-12-2009, 02:17 AM   #7
mexiaztec
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Smile

if you are injecting co2 that could be the reason that everybody is dying, the aeration as much u can put and the heather off for a least 2 hours.
mexiaztec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 02:59 AM   #8
legomaniac89
Aroid Addict

PTrader: (69/100%)

I have no a/c in my house, and my tanks usually run around 84F all summer long and I've never had any problems with fish dying. I just make sure there is plenty of surface agitation during the warm months and my fish are as happy as can be.
Always interested in trades for aroids, carnivores, orchids, ferns, or whatever else you think I might like to try
legomaniac89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 04:15 AM   #9
aschaal03
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

For prime it says on the bottle
"If temperature is > 30 C (86 F) and chlorine or ammonia levels are low, use a half dose."

But your temperature is only 82 so you would have had to seriously overdose the prime to have any toxic effect. Most likely cause is either some sort of contaminate that effects oxygen levels, or if you are using pressurized CO2 it is cranked up a bit too high. Hopefully, the extra powerhead will be the solution...sounds like it is helping at least. I agree with the continued water changes..maybe 20% a day or so until all symptoms are gone.
aschaal03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:40 AM   #10
Iloveangelfish432
Algae Grower

It's been about 4 hours since I cranked up the aeration on the powerhead. All inhabitants are back to normal and eating as usual. Their gills have nearly stopped flapping wildly.
I still scratching my head as to why the oxygen level depleted so fast. I'm not using pressurized co2 for this tank.
I remember putting 6ml of prime for 30gal during the water change, which is only 2x the recommended amount.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:07 PM   #11
Iloveangelfish432
Algae Grower

The problem has been lack of oxygen. I've corrected it by the proper aeration and all is back to normal. I unplugged the powerhead and 2 days later white cloudy water emerged and the fish are back to breathing heavily again. I plugged back the aeration since a gram of bacteria can consume as much oxygen as an adult human.
I'm trying to figure out why my tank is having problems all of a sudden.
Here's what I did so far:
Added 15 ml of pimafix and melafix just in case(forgot to shake the bottle!) I don't see how this could be a problem though.
I feed fish once every other day.
I have not fertilized my plants for 2-3 weeks. (Maybe the water column is nutrient rich and the plants are leaving the nutrients in the water alone because they are missing nutrients from my regular dosage?)
I should go back to dosing, but is there any complication of using pimafix/melafix @ the same time as dosing fertz?
Old 07-15-2009, 11:28 PM   #12
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

Are you checking ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates? What about pH? Fluctuations in pH can affect the toxicity of ammonia and nitrites.

And why are you dosing Melafix and Pimafix? I've had those crash a tank's cycle before (though some claim they won't, it's happened several times for me...)
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote