Oh.. My.. god - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 07-19-2004, 04:47 PM   #16
ColinAnderson
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to ColinAnderson Send a message via AIM to ColinAnderson Send a message via MSN to ColinAnderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda huggenkiss
Thanks Colin. Thanks a lot. Now I'll never be able to sleep again...
Well, I think it's hardly fair that I had to suffer through seeing it and you don't get to as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Willms
... Colin, was that thing in your house?
Hahaha. Hahahaha. Haha. If that was in my house, I would move. Seriously. I would not stay there anymore.

Actually, it's been around the Internet -- I saw the pictures a few years ago posted on another forum I frequent, and have never forgotten it. Just returning the favor. A simple google search found the images for me.
Eheim Pimp #50
--------------------------------------------------
110 liter heavily-planted
5lb Pressurized CO2
4.4 WPG PC 6700K
Eheim Classic 2215
--------------------------------------------------
ColinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2004, 05:52 PM   #17
pphx459
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinAnderson
Well, I think it's hardly fair that I had to suffer through seeing it and you don't get to as well.

Hahaha. Hahahaha. Haha. If that was in my house, I would move. Seriously. I would not stay there anymore.

Actually, it's been around the Internet -- I saw the pictures a few years ago posted on another forum I frequent, and have never forgotten it. Just returning the favor. A simple google search found the images for me.

Omg! I wouldn't even dare getting the clock down!
Eheim Pimp Club #49, 2028, 2215, surface extractor, autofeeder.
pphx459 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2004, 06:10 PM   #18
Georgiadawgger
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
You people all need to go spend some time in Costa Rica if you want to see some big bugs! They are all on 'roids and growth hormones down there I swear!!!

Colin, was that thing in your house?

Yup...some unbelieveable insects and spiders there!! I did an OTS (organization for tropical studies) course there for two months and saw everything from orange kneed tyranchula (sp?) and tropical hunters and stuff. Those tropical hunters were the coolest. They would make their nests on each of the four corners of your bunk and sit and wait for a snack. I guess you can call them "human" adapted since they're also in all the shower stalls and bathrooms. I saw one that captured a katydid at night and by the next morning it was an empty shell!!

Got bit by a bullet-ant while I was at La-Selva doing a research project and apparently while I was all the way at the arboretum, everyone heard me scream "FUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCdge" at the field station. Imagine putting your thumb on a table and having someone repeatedly beat it with a hammer every 5 minutes for 2 days straight. Nice huh?

Don't get me started on bot-flies.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:21 PM   #19
George Willms
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Hey I was at La Selva too! I fortunately managed to escape with no bites from bullet ants. There were a lot of the fir-di-lance snakes around that year when I was there. Now those things scared me. Venom that dissolves skin, flesh, and blood vessels!!!! Yikes! We saw a dobson fly down there that was about 9-10 inches long. Man, those things look nasty!

Did you get bit by a bot fly? If so, what was that like? I had this unexplained "rash like" area on my ankle once I returned home that eventually went away. I never did figure out what it was though.
Ehfipimp extraordinaire!
Eheim Pimp Club Recruiter, Saergant at Arms, and Enforcer.

29 and 45 gallon. 2026, 2028
My 29 gallon tank
George Willms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2004, 08:05 PM   #20
tucker
Algae Grower

Unhappy Lucky People...

Man, i wanna go to costa rica and play with bugs! i never get to have any fun:-(
tucker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2004, 08:11 PM   #21
amanda huggenkiss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker
Man, i wanna go to costa rica and play with bugs! i never get to have any fun:-(
Freak.

wannacomewith.com
amanda huggenkiss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2004, 09:12 PM   #22
George Willms
Wannabe Guru

lol

Be nice now Amanda!
Ehfipimp extraordinaire!

My 29 gallon tank
Old 07-19-2004, 09:44 PM   #23
convicted_convict
Algae Grower

Man, my bearded dragon would have a feast with those bugs if he could. To think when I was little I used to collect every type of insect I could find. I had pet praying mantis that I would handfeed.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:57 PM   #24
Georgiadawgger
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Hey I was at La Selva too! I fortunately managed to escape with no bites from bullet ants. There were a lot of the fir-di-lance snakes around that year when I was there. Now those things scared me. Venom that dissolves skin, flesh, and blood vessels!!!! Yikes! We saw a dobson fly down there that was about 9-10 inches long. Man, those things look nasty!

Did you get bit by a bot fly? If so, what was that like? I had this unexplained "rash like" area on my ankle once I returned home that eventually went away. I never did figure out what it was though.

Yeah, I got my arm oviposited in by a bot fly. We went ahead and let it develop for about a week, and then I couldn't stand the jiggling. Kind of like aliens. The fly lands on you, instead of biting you it lays an egg under your skin. About two days later I had the red bump and the maggot was moving around. We used a piece of beef slapped over my arm for about 6 hours to get the thing to crawl out. It wasn't longer than 1 cm but it was still nasty looking. Yeah, I was letting a maggot eat me from the inside out!! hehe Gotta experience it.

Our field course went to La Selva (saw several fur-de-lance and hog-nosed pit vipers), Cabo Blanco (UGA's absolute preserve) tropical hunters everywhere, Cero dela Muerte (too darn cold for bugs), Corcovado (the best place in the world...freshwater river with Snapper and Cayman breeding, brackish watter with bull sharks and crocs breeding, pacific ocean...heaven...until you hear the howler monkeys at 4am!, Monteverde, and Barro Colorado Island in Panama.

I've only heard stories about bushmaster's but apparently they're even worse than fur-de-lance. There was a naturalist at Corcovado that had one arm and he had gotten bit by one about 15 years ago. Since it's a 15 mile hike into the station from the nearest city, there was really no way to get him out of there, so they gave him local anethesia and used a machette to cut his arm off until a plane could get there. cool huh?
Old 07-20-2004, 12:05 AM   #25
George Willms
Wannabe Guru

Hmmm..from what I've heard the fur-de-lance is even nastier than the bushmaster. Much more agressive, they'll actually chase you for a long time, and if I remember right you die if you don't get the antidote within 90-120 minutes. Yeah the bot-fly is rather nasty. My teacher had one in his head one year. We were at La Selva, Monte Verde, Palo Verde, and Manuel Antonio. I absolutely loved Monte Verde, everything was rather warm for me.....
Ehfipimp extraordinaire!

My 29 gallon tank
Old 07-20-2004, 12:06 AM   #26
glass-gardens.com
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wow, the best I can come up with is having a very young cotton mouth latch onto my hiking boots, kinda funny really, wouldn't let go. I spend a lot of time in the Saylorville basin area, lot's of flatlands with huge driftwood piles so cotton mouths are a commom sight, I've seen diamond backs occasionally, but I guess Iowa isn't know for venomous or otherwise dangerous creatures.

Bobcats are coming back strong, and I've helped with a tracking project to confirm several resident cougars (a once native cat along the river valleys), several confirmed brown bears but they're probably just passing through and some wolves (my personal favorites) up north by the Wisconsin border but elk repopulation is on hold so we have deer and coyotes as our key wildlife right now.

I never realized how boring this state is until reading everyone elses adventures.

Ah well, moving north in about five years hopefully so .....
Old 07-20-2004, 12:14 AM   #27
Georgiadawgger
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Hmmm..from what I've heard the fur-de-lance is even nastier than the bushmaster. Much more agressive, they'll actually chase you for a long time, and if I remember right you die if you don't get the antidote within 90-120 minutes. Yeah the bot-fly is rather nasty. My teacher had one in his head one year. We were at La Selva, Monte Verde, Palo Verde, and Manuel Antonio. I absolutely loved Monte Verde, everything was rather warm for me.....

Heck I wouldn't want to be bitten by either!! I forgot about Palo Verde! That was a cool place but we were limited on what we could do for field projects besides herp surveys and stuff since a wildfire went through it while we were there. Tons of bot flies and mosquitoes though. We did a survey of number of maggots per average size of cows and found one cow usually had 15 maggots on it. Gross.

BCI was probably the best place we went. We actually "ran" into the eyelash vipers hanging from the trees there. Well, I'd give it a tie with Corcovado since that place had all four monkeys there (spider, squirrel, howler and white-faced-$hit-throwers---one of my friend got hit on her head by flying monkey $hit).
Old 07-20-2004, 03:47 AM   #28
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

Check out this pic http://www.grunt.com/images-bs/camelspider.png
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2004, 03:56 AM   #29
glass-gardens.com
Planted Tank Enthusiast

From snopes: (we have an ex-marine at work showed us that picture, we thought his stories were a bit much so we did some checking)

According to most spider experts, these claims are all false. Camel spiders (so named because, like camels, they can be found in sandy desert regions) grow to be moderately large (about a 5" leg span), but nowhere near as large as dinner plates; they can move very quickly in comparison to other arthropods (a top speed of maybe 10 MPH), but nothing close 25 MPH; they make no noise; and they capture prey without the use of either venom or anesthetic. Camel spiders rely on speed, stealth, and the (non-venomous) bite of powerful jaws to feed on small prey such as other arthropods (e.g., scorpions, crickets, pillbugs), lizards, and possibly mice or birds. They use only three pairs of legs in running; the frontmost pair (called pedipalpa) is held aloft and used in a similar manner to the antennae of insects. Camel spiders shun the sun and generally hide during the day, coming out at night to do their hunting.

Although whatever is depicted in the photograph above appears to be far too large for camel spiders, the creatures might just look unusually large because they were held close to the camera, creating an illusion of exaggerated size. However, since we don't know the source of the picture, we can't yet rule out the possibility that some other misdirection was involved (e.g., digital manipulation, a misdescription of what the photograph depicts, some soldiers goofing around with plastic figures or something else spider-shaped, etc.).
glass-gardens.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2004, 04:24 AM   #30
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

Isn't the Fer de lance the deadliest snake in the world? Or is it the Mamba?

Funny that the Bot Fly larvae eat viable, living tissue. Most maggots eat only dead material. That is why they have started using maggots in some medical applications. The maggots eat dying, infected areas on wounds and the like, steming the spread of infection.

All that being said, maggots are some indestructable little critters! You can spray them, or dip in in darn near anything and it won't kill them. Only way I know to kill them is to burn 'em or smash 'em!!!

Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.