New Aquarium/Fish Selection/Bioload Question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 07-11-2009, 02:31 AM   #1
BroastMan

PTrader: (0/0%)

New Aquarium/Fish Selection/Bioload Question

So I have a fairly new 10g (~1month). It is moderatly planted with driftwood. I'm interested in ppl's take on my stocking plans. Right now I have 3(2m,1F) A. Australe Orange Killies and 5 Armano Shrimp.

I would like to add 3 additional types of fish if I can make it work, here's what I'm thinking----
4-6 Pygmy Corys
6 Cardinal Tetras
2 Otocinc Catfish, and take out 1 male killie to make it...
2 Australe Orange Killies
w/5 Armano Shrimp

I'm pretty sure that temperment-wise everythink will work just fine. I'm more concerned about the bioload because I know I'm above the general 1in rule. All these fish are pretty small and slender so I'm thinking it could work but want some input since it's a small tank.

Thanks for the advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2196.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	14370  

BroastMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2009, 05:27 AM   #2
aschaal03
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

I'd say you have to choose between the cardinals or the corys. Putting both in there would be horribly overstocked. Being that you already have the amano shrimp to clean up the bottom, I'd go with the cardinals. So if you had 6 cardinals, 3 killies, 2 ottos(ottos bioload is almost nonexistent) and 5 amanos..you'd still be pretty overstocked but it's doable as long as you stay on top of water changes and have good filtration & plant cover.
aschaal03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 07:13 AM   #3
Aquarist_Fist
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

Go with either the cories or the otos. 2 otos are not very happy.

As for the bio load. My main tank is a 15g tank with

9 Trigonostigma hegeli
2 Apistogramma ramirezi
5 otos
5 Corydoras habrosus
1 lonely Aphyosemion striatum (nowhere else to put her)

That's pretty hefty, but it works because save the rams, all fish are tiny and don't consume much food. I also have heavy plant growth and serious filtration. The otos occasionally school with the cories, but this is a behavior you only see when you have enough of both species.
Pimp Club Member #313

Originally Posted by macclellan
my personal favorite is Random Capitalization. It is so Very fun and Surprising.
Aquarist_Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:43 AM   #4
BroastMan

Alight, well, since I already have the Corys on the way I guess I'll just forgoe the Cardinals for the time being. I appreciate the advice, would love to hear more input.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:56 PM   #5
blackandyellow
Planted Tank Enthusiast

How big do ottos get? are they delicate fish? good algae eaters? are they schooling fish?
blackandyellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:27 PM   #6
Strick
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Otos generally stay around 2 inches, and they're terrific algae eaters. But... they are sensitive to water conditions and they really need to kept in shoals of three or more to be happy.

In a planted tank, the 1" of fish per gallon of water rule can be stretched greatly, but aschaal03's advice is sound. Even for a planted tank, I think you'd be overstocked with your original list.

Another piece of advice - don't add all those new fish at once. You'll cause an ammonia spike and you may suffer some casualties before your tank's nitrogen cycle can even itself out. 2 or 3 new fish per week is the most I would do in a 14-gallon tank.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:32 AM   #7
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strick View Post
Otos generally stay around 2 inches, and they're terrific algae eaters. But... they are sensitive to water conditions and they really need to kept in shoals of three or more to be happy.

In a planted tank, the 1" of fish per gallon of water rule can be stretched greatly, but aschaal03's advice is sound. Even for a planted tank, I think you'd be overstocked with your original list.

Another piece of advice - don't add all those new fish at once. You'll cause an ammonia spike and you may suffer some casualties before your tank's nitrogen cycle can even itself out. 2 or 3 new fish per week is the most I would do in a 14-gallon tank.
+1

Good advice.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Sept 8, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:33 AM   #8
BroastMan

To update, I put my pygmys in today. They have a lot of personality, the mellow killies are definitly more low key with all the action of the Corys at this point. I'm currently stocked at 3 Killies, 2 Otos, 6 Pygmy corys, and 5 Amaro's. Lots of plant cover and three hours of dim moon light, everyone looks happy but will definitly be keeping a close eye the next couple days. I think I'm at my limit now. I'll post a pic in a few days hopefully.

There is one other thing I'm wondering if anyone knows about.... Any thoughts on if my two Otos would be happier with a third? As it is, they don't stick together too much, although they do school up with the corys. Would adding a third have an affect on their behavior?
Old 07-17-2009, 03:37 AM   #9
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

I'd stick where you're at now for bioload reasons. And I don't think a 3rd Oto would make that much a difference in their behavior in a 10gal tank.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Sept 8, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote