Cable heating options
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 07-14-2004, 07:50 AM   #1
Laith
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Cable heating options

As mentioned in a previous post, I'm contemplating installing a 400L planted tank and currently looking at equipment.

In my current 200L tank, I've installed cable heating from Dennerle along with their temp controller (Duomat 1200 comfort). This temp controller allows you to plug both your standard aquarium heater and your cable heating into it. It then, through a sensor in the aquarium, regulates which heating system to use, always giving priority to the cable heating.

The controller is very expensive and I'm looking at another option which I've heard of: to just plug the cable heating into the electric socket and leave it on all the time (it's low voltage so doesn't heat up that much).

Anybody tried that? Opinions?

Thanks!

Laith
Laith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2004, 01:48 PM   #2
macbrush
Algae Grower

Send a message via ICQ to macbrush

All I do is plug it into a timer, and have it on for around 6 hours a day.
Eheim pimp club #48
Specs:
800L 100% Flourite
80L plant/shrimps nursery tank inconnected with the main tank
Total 600W HQI, 2 X 5200K 2 X 6500K
Eheim 2028 X 2 2080 X 1
Dupla Substrate Heater
Dupla S external reactor
Aquamedic 2hp & Teco R15 400W chillers
Sega pH Controller

Light period: 6 hours on each bulb across 12 hours
Water Parameters: pH 6.4, KH 2, GH 1, NO3 40, PO4 1 TDS 250
macbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 02:37 AM   #3
glass-gardens.com
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried reptile heating pads on the bottom of their tanks?
Old 07-18-2004, 10:02 AM   #4
Davo
Algae Grower

Default Cable heaters

Laith,

Dupla make a substrate heater called "Dupla Thermik Set Omega". The cables do not require a thermostat and stay on 24 hours. They only heat the substrate, not the water column. Each cable is rated for 200 litres. They are $98 each over here in Australia.

Dave,
Sydney.
Davo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 03:21 PM   #5
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laith
just plug the cable heating into the electric socket and leave it on all the time (it's low voltage so doesn't heat up that much).
Voltage isn't a good way to describe how the cable will heat up the tank. Wattage determines that... I heard the Dennerle cables are low wattage, while Dupla is more into higher wattage, but of course both could be selling both flavors.

So anyway... I think it depends on the temperature of the surroundings. If the place where the tank is remains at a very stable temp, this should work out just great. If the room gets warm in Summer, cool at nights etc you would need a controller.

In my case, I don't use the cables for about 8 months a year, because the tank gets too warm. For the other 3 or 4 months, I plugged the cable into a dimmer (reducing the current --> output) and into a timer, which turns the heater on at nighttime, when the temp of the tank lowered.

Finally I bought a controller (Ranco ETC), but now in Summer I am using it to control the fan that cools the lights.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 05:54 PM   #6
dan2ktj
Algae Grower

Does anyone know where to purchase a Dennerle Duomat temperature controller in the USA?

I know Dupla has an electronic controller but I like the idea of one controller balancing both the subtrate heater and my external inline heater. I don't think the Dupla does that.

Thanks, Dan
dan2ktj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 08:02 PM   #7
shalu
Wannabe Guru

I use a cheap high wattage cable heater plus a regular heater, plug both into a generic digital temperature controller(both on/off same time). Don't know if the cable heater does anything for plants, but it is very efficient heating the tank.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
shalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 09:20 PM   #8
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass-gardens.com
Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried reptile heating pads on the bottom of their tanks?

It has been tried. There have been some posts in APD about it. Seems that the heat graident can actually cause the bottom glass to crack.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 09:50 PM   #9
baby2boy
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to baby2boy Send a message via MSN to baby2boy Send a message via Yahoo to baby2boy

I bought a dennerle heater cable for cheap, it's rated at 25w and is for aquaria upto 250 litres, mines 180ish. The duomat is ridiculously expensive so i don't wanna go for that. I figured that I'd leave the cable on constantly as there is no way I think it could heat the whole tank especially with such low wattage. I also bought a normal aquarium heater which I am going to plug in to a Maxi-Therm (cheap Algarde thermostat) which will obviously switch the heater on if it's too cold and off when at the correct temp. As it can control 2 heaters I may also look into adapting the inside and make it turn a cooler on if it gets too hot aswell.

I guess though that the tube heater will be on all the time anyways because the substrate will soak up a lot of heat.

Does everyone know exactly how tank heaters work? I've just found out myself

dan2ktj: I could get one sent over if you wish? PM me if interested!!
baby2boy is offline   Reply With Quote