DIY co2 - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 06-24-2009, 12:28 AM   #16
airborne_r6
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to airborne_r6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarist_Fist View Post
... bubble counter. I'm not quite sure why you'd need one on a DIY setup though.
I used one to let me know when to change the mix, when the bubbles were less than 15/min I knew that I needed to change the mix that night. I also used the counter to evaluate the effectiveness of different mixes, by counting the bubble rate and comparing it to the results of previous recipes.
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2009, 10:34 AM   #17
redza
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborne_r6 View Post
I used one to let me know when to change the mix, when the bubbles were less than 15/min I knew that I needed to change the mix that night. I also used the counter to evaluate the effectiveness of different mixes, by counting the bubble rate and comparing it to the results of previous recipes.
hes got a point there,
well, it wasnt my pictures, i just found them on ebay, sorry for that,
if this thread causes quite a stir, you can delete it if you guys want to.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:16 PM   #18
RipariumGuy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Default that what-cha-ma-dingy inside the aquarium

I have a question, could I use an airstone instead of that what-cha-ma-dingy inside the aquarium? (defuser I think).
RipariumGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 03:56 PM   #19
GhostShrimpBoo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

No, you cannot use an airstone to diffuse co2. The bubbles it creates are too large and will float to the surface and pop, defeating the purpose of injecting co2 into the water column.

You don't have to use a diffuser though. You can use a co2 reactor - either internal or external. I'm currently using the Red Sea co2 Reactor 500 on my 10 gallon. There are pros and cons of using a diffuser vs a reactor.

If you're interested in getting a DIY co2 setup working and don't have a diffuser or regulator, try the chopstick method. It isn't going to be as good as a diffuser but it will be better than an airstone. Search for "chopstick diffuser" on this forum and on Google and you should find something. I used this method temporarily after I broke my glass diffuser. Although it wasn't nearly as effecient as the diffuser, it did get me by for a week or so. Good luck.
GhostShrimpBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:45 PM   #20
toughtimes
Algae Grower

Hey I know it's not the best Idea, But I want to supplement until I can get a regulater and needle valve. How many jugs of solution should I use for a 90 gallon?
toughtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:18 PM   #21
Craigthor
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughtimes View Post
Hey I know it's not the best Idea, But I want to supplement until I can get a regulater and needle valve. How many jugs of solution should I use for a 90 gallon?
3- 5g jugs. People run 2-3 2L DIY setups on 20g tanks to even come close to stable. For what it will cost to set this up consider a milwaukee regulator, used co2 tank and a cheap Diffuser and drop checker from ebay. you could probably get everything setup for around $130-150 if you look hard enough.

Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
Craigthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:28 AM   #22
asimkhatri
Algae Grower

Send a message via MSN to asimkhatri Send a message via Yahoo to asimkhatri

2cups= how much grams ?

asimkhatri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:24 PM   #23
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asimkhatri View Post
2cups= how much grams ?
Depends on the type of sugar you're using, and how packed it is, etc.

In general, DIY CO2 is a rough estimate anyway, so just grab a mug and measure out two cups.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:14 PM   #24
Steez
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

I've read where some people turn their co2 off at night. If you are using a DIY set up, how is that possible?
Steez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:39 PM   #25
SvenBoogie
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to SvenBoogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steez View Post
I've read where some people turn their co2 off at night. If you are using a DIY set up, how is that possible?
There are a couple different ways to do this with DIY co2. You can use an airstone on a timer to turn on when your lights go off to de-gas the co2 from the tank, or if you want to get crazy with it, you can use an airline splitter with a solenoid. One end of the splitter would be run into the tank as normal. The other would run from the splitter, through the solenoid, with an open airline on the end. During the day, the solenoid is closed and the co2 is directed into the tank. At night, the solenoid is open, and the gas just goes right out the open airline.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:41 PM   #26
hbosman
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Steez,

You can't with diy because if anything restricts flow, pressure will build up and probably blow sticky, smelly yeast juice all over the place.

With pressurized, you can close an electric valve (soleniod) to block co2 flow. The solenoid is turned off or blocked with a timer or ph controller. This is done to save co2 gas from being released when the lights are off or when co2 concentration gets to high in the aquarium.
hbosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:44 PM   #27
Steez
Algae Grower

I had a real nice regulator that I sold on ebay about 2 months ago. I used it for indoor tropical bonsai. I sure wish I had it back. I still have a partial tank of co2. Now thats just plain ole bad timing now that I want to do planted tanks....geez
Old 08-14-2009, 01:22 PM   #28
Miss Jinkx
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbosman View Post
Steez,

You can't with diy because if anything restricts flow, pressure will build up and probably blow sticky, smelly yeast juice all over the place.

I have been taking the diffuser out of the tank at night, and place it in a open container of tank water.. The next day I pop it back in the tank.. Is there are problem with doing this?
Miss Jinkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 04:00 PM   #29
Darkblade48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Jinkx View Post
I have been taking the diffuser out of the tank at night, and place it in a open container of tank water.. The next day I pop it back in the tank.. Is there are problem with doing this?
Not at all.

For less work, you could just leave the diffuser in the tank, and have an air pump (on a timer) come on when your lights go off. It will help degas the CO2, and is less work.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:19 PM   #30
Steez
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
Not at all.

For less work, you could just leave the diffuser in the tank, and have an air pump (on a timer) come on when your lights go off. It will help degas the CO2, and is less work.
So...You do not want to have air pumping into the tank when you are diffusing Co2 except at night? How bout a no Co2 set up wit an airpump on 24-7? Is that ok for low tech?