How many ABP for 140 gallons
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 06-19-2009, 05:54 AM   #1
michu
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

How many ABP for 140 gallons

I want to get some ABP for my 140 gallon tank to help with algae, but have no clue how many I should get. Anybody know?
michu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2009, 01:59 PM   #2
susankat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

If you have lots of wood and plenty of hiding places I would start out with 3. If you want babies get 1 male and 2 females.
susankat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:28 PM   #3
michu
Planted Member

Thanks susankat. Lots of wood I have. I'm so glad you answered. I was thinking of buying 6-10. LOL
Old 06-19-2009, 03:52 PM   #4
PasD
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)

What's an ABP?
PasD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:59 PM   #5
susankat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

Albino bristlenose pleco.
susankat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:25 PM   #6
bannh
Planted Member

PTrader: (18/95%)

An ABN will easily take care of 20-30 gallons worth of cleaning as a big juvenile or an adult. With the amount of waste they excrete, more doesn't really mean cleaner. You may not have much algae or leftover food but you will have a lot of poo... That is a big tank but unless you don't mind vacuuming often, I'd go with up to 6, not more. They have a fairly high bioload each.

An average spawn will have more males than females. If you are buying them young and unsexed, it's extremely likely you will end up with more males than females. If they grow up together in a large tank there shouldn't be much fighting. With only several to start, you can always add females later.

With 10 unsexed fish you could easily end up with 6 or 7 males. Rarely does their fights result in real harm but it *can*. I have had one male who killed other males given a chance (he had to leave). At the least, their squabbles can involve a lot of thrashing about which can make a mess of delicate plantings. Females can squabble too but it's brief and less disruptive. They are a great fish IMO, but not one to overstock with.
bannh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:28 PM   #7
michu
Planted Member

Thanks, bannh. 3 sounds better and better.
Old 06-20-2009, 03:55 AM   #8
Left C
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

My LFS got some in about two months ago. I got the last two. They are a little over one inch long. The sales person told me that they were raised locally. The person that brought them in said that he raises them in his pond. I'm in NC and it can get cold in the winter. That's a tough story to believe.
EHEIM PIMP #164 Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042
VICTOR PIMP #1 VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK
Left C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:53 AM   #9
toddnbecka
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (49/98%)

I can hook you up with 4 1.25" juvies for $20 shipped Priority Mail. Odds are good you'll end up with at least one female that way.
toddnbecka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:45 PM   #10
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Could you post a picture of the tank?

I got 5, mini version, at Local aquarium association for $5. Perhaps there is an association near you. Since I have had them I have no algae on the walls, even after leave the tank alone for 2 weeks. I occasionally see them on the plant leaves too.
Hilde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:18 PM   #11
michu
Planted Member

Sorry, I forgot about this thread. I am purchasing from another person that I promised I would buy from when her "babies" grow large enough to ship. That might be a while since they're tiny.

As for the tank, I can't take much of a pic right now since I only have one light running that lights 1/3 of the tank. 2 ballasts went out from my MH that I ordered from DrsFosterSmith.com. They contacted Coralife to send me two more. Unfortunately, they didn't arrive until after 10 days, then they were the wrong ballasts. Itty bitty ballasts for some power compact. DrsFosterSmith has started the process all over again.

My algae is pretty much gone. I went out of town for a week and did not ask my daughter to fertilize. Combine that with the crazy lighting scheme I'm currently running (1 ballast for 3 lights running each for 8 hours so that the entire tank has had 8 hours of light within a 24 hour period), along with the SAEs and ottos, algae seems to be wiped out. I was fairly amazed at how clean the tank looked. I thought daughter had cleaned it for me, but she hadn't.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:42 PM   #12
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by michu View Post
Sorry, I forgot about this thread. I am purchasing from another person that I promised I would buy from when her "babies" grow large enough to ship. That might be a while since they're tiny.
I don't understand why you are buying plecos out of town. I see the long versions at most stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michu View Post
My algae is pretty much gone. I went out of town for a week and did not ask my daughter to fertilize. Tank has had 8 hours of light within a 24 hour period), along with the SAEs and ottos, algae seems to be wiped out. I was fairly amazed at how clean the tank looked. I thought daughter had cleaned it for me, but she hadn't.
Doesn't seem like you need plecos since the other algae eaters are keeping the tank clean. Watch those SAE's. I have heard of one eating the slime off of a goldfish.

I read that when you go off lowering the lights and just leaving the tank alone is the best thing to do. That is what I did last time I left for 2 weeks.
Hilde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:34 PM   #13
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

One ABP juvie (about 2") cleaned up my entire 46gal in 2 days flat. And the tank walls had been coated in algae.

That being said, you can put just about as many as you'd like to in a 140gal- just make sure you supplement them with plenty of veggies and keep up the water changes since like all plecos they're little poop factories.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Sept 8, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote