My Pressurized Co2 install story...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 07-13-2004, 03:10 AM   #1
Poohbee
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Poohbee Send a message via MSN to Poohbee
Talking

My Pressurized Co2 install story...

Hi Guys, I'm so excited! I finally got all my parts in and I installed my pressurized co2! Here is what I have:

Milwaukee SMS122 controller and regulator from Glass-Gardens
Co2 tubing from Glass-Gardens (Thank You again)
20 pound co2 tank
Dennerle brand check valve
DIY Reactor

Honestly it took me longer than it should have to setup everything (2pm-7pm). I ordered these pipe clips to mount the DIY reactor onto the cabinet and that took some time to get setup. But after I screwed the last screw it looks great and holds the reactor perfectly. Thanks to those who suggested to check the U.S Plastics website for those clips.

After installing the reactor and getting the tubes, etc cut and installed I connected the regulator into the co2 tank and followed the instructions. The gauges read ~900-1000 PSI and I dialed the other one to read 10 PSI ad per instructions). At first no bubbles were coming out when I plugged in the solenoid to the controller, I checked the regulator knobs and the tubes and fittings and still no bubbles came out. But when I plugged the solenoid directly to the wall socket the thing fired up and it scared the crap out of me because I forgot to turn down the needle valve and the solenoid was loud with that clanging noise. So I set the bubble counter to 30 bubbles per minute and left it there for awhile when I noticed that I had forgotten to connect the check valve .

After installing the check valve and after getting squirted by the co2 tubing that had pressurized water from the reactor I set about installing the Milwaukee SMS122 monitor. After reading the little instruction "manual" I was still confused on how to calibrate it. So I just opened the calibration fluid, took out the probe and removed the rubber cover from the tip (it was nasty by the way... had salts and these brownish looking goo pieces .. Bleh), plugged in the probe, turned on the controller and waited a few seconds until I dunked the probe into the satchet of calibration fluid. Oh, beforehand I had set the ph level dial to be at 7.0 so when I dunked in the probe the controller immediately read 7.0. This is the part that got me more confused... because I didn't know if I should fiddle with the calibration screw in the front or if I should just leave it. I opted to leave it since it looked like the thing was calibrated (it did say 7.0 ph). I then put the probe into the aquarium water and the controller read a Ph of about 7.2 and then it started dropping to 6.8 and it slowly went back up to 7.1 (just checked right now). Somehow the Solenoid had closed the valve when it was around 6.8 - 7.0ph and no more bubbles were coming up through the bubble counter. Should I be worried? When is the solenoid going to open up again?

I'll go take some pics of my setup to share with you guys. BRB
6 Gallon Marineland Eclipse 6, Semi heavily planted community tank
Poohbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2004, 03:35 AM   #2
Georgiadawgger
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Sounds like you have it working right. The solenoid closed because you have the black pH knob set at 7. If you dial it counter-clockwise a bit to 6.8 or so (you have to fiddle with it to be exact) the solenoid will click on and start sending out bubbles. Then, once the tank's pH reaches 6.8 the solenoid clicks off. The probe will let the solenoid when to turn on again. That's the beauty of this type of automated system! As far as calibrating, you may need to do it again. Stick the probe into the packet, then go ahead and turn the "cal" knob with the little screwdriver they sent you so the digital reading goes up to 7.1, then back down to 7.0, then you're set.

Next investment: good pruning scissors and forceps!!!
Old 07-13-2004, 03:37 AM   #3
Poohbee
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Poohbee Send a message via MSN to Poohbee
Smile Pics!

hmm I was going to attach pics here but I don't know how.... So I'll put up a Yahoo briefcase page for you to browse the pics.

http://f1.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/...uarium&.view=l
6 Gallon Marineland Eclipse 6, Semi heavily planted community tank
Poohbee is offline   Reply With Quote