Eheim intake, slow flow
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 06-14-2009, 08:20 PM   #1
belladee
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Eheim intake, slow flow

My intake on my eheim 2215 is not that strong. I have to take the vent piece off and stick my finger in the tube before I feel any suction.

I went ahead and cleaned out and flushed out the filter and replaced the white top pad. So the filter is clean... what else could be the problem?

thanks
belladee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2009, 01:37 AM   #2
deeda
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

We need a little more info. Is this a new problem with the filter or has something else changed? What other media do you have in the filter & how is it filled? Are there any loops or sags in the hoses?
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
deeda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2009, 02:51 AM   #3
belladee
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeda View Post
We need a little more info. Is this a new problem with the filter or has something else changed? What other media do you have in the filter & how is it filled? Are there any loops or sags in the hoses?
When I set it up it seemed to have a stronger outflow but I only recently checked the intake and it seemed very week. I only have the standard media that comes with the filter and I stacked it according to the directions.

As far as loops or sags, everything is not tight but there are no visible loops or sags.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:25 AM   #4
Left C
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

Have you checked the white filter material in your 2215 to see if it needs to be washed or replaced?

Do you need to back flush your filter?

Does the blue filter material need washing or replacement?

Do you need to wash the other media?
EHEIM PIMP #164 Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042
VICTOR PIMP #1 VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK
Left C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2009, 03:42 PM   #5
deeda
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

It sounds like you have set it up according to the instructions properly. What size tank is this on? What is the distance from the bottom of the filter canister to the water level in your tank? Is there anything else installed in the intake/output hoses like a sterilizer, Quick Disconnect valves, etc.?

If your concern is that you are not seeing debris and fish poop being drawn into the intake, you may need to adjust the spray bar direction to 'push' stuff toward the intake strainer. Is there any chance you can post pics of your setup?
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
deeda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2009, 05:17 PM   #6
ER9
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

obstruction in the intake pipe or hose / ball valve you missed?
ER9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2009, 05:19 PM   #7
belladee
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left C View Post
Have you checked the white filter material in your 2215 to see if it needs to be washed or replaced?

Do you need to back flush your filter?

Does the blue filter material need washing or replacement?

Do you need to wash the other media?
I changed the white but didnt get down to the blue. In retrospact I wish I had gotten a filter with the little buckets, it is a pain to upload this whole filter. But ill go do that today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeda View Post
It sounds like you have set it up according to the instructions properly. What size tank is this on? What is the distance from the bottom of the filter canister to the water level in your tank? Is there anything else installed in the intake/output hoses like a sterilizer, Quick Disconnect valves, etc.?

If your concern is that you are not seeing debris and fish poop being drawn into the intake, you may need to adjust the spray bar direction to 'push' stuff toward the intake strainer. Is there any chance you can post pics of your setup?
I have this on a 75gallon. nothing extra is installed on the filter. I have recently moved the powerhead to force the debris toward the intake and that is working but I would like to have the filter work the way it should.

I just measured the distance from the bottom of the filter to the top of the water and it is almost 4 feet. (an inch less)
Old 06-16-2009, 06:08 PM   #8
jarberg27
Algae Grower

PTrader: (15/100%)

I'm not familiar with the 2215, but I had similar problems in my 2026 and found it helpful to check the gaskets as per wkndracer.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:49 PM   #9
Spork
Planted Member

When I cleaned mine out and washed all the sponges and put everything back together I noticed that the flow was not a great as it was when first set up. I then got a one of the flexable bushes and cleaned the tubing. That made a massive difference in the flow. I also changed out my tubing to 1/2 inch laytex tubing. This also made a huge difference in the flow.

I dont have the baskets but I do use the 2 green plates. I have one in the bottom of the filter as to not have anything sitting on the bottom of the filter that may block the intake port and possibly clog it or slow the flow down.
Spork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2009, 10:09 PM   #10
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

Mum in the pipes is a good catch Spork

If the white pad was filthy the rest of the media needs flushing. Do an impellor cleaning also with an old tooth brush and Q tips. The coarse pad I rinse but the white one isn't worth cleaning. 1/2 life after and the floss packs. Suction is never great but out flow should improve to almost new without "un mumming" the the hoses I do that twice a year.
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2009, 10:51 PM   #11
Centromochlus
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (117/100%)

Don't know if this has already been said, but make sure there's no kinks in the tubing - sounds kind of obvious, but i was wondering why there was minimal flow from my 2217 and i found out there was a kink in the outflow tubing that i never saw.

Centromochlus is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2009, 05:47 AM   #12
Overfloater
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)

If you are using the spraybar, check the holes to see if they are clogged. I find my 2213 flow is drastically reduced when the holes become clogged with algae and other debris.

The spraybar holes are much smaller than any other filter I have ever used and I find they clog up easily which is not something I have seen on other filters.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:42 PM   #13
belladee
Planted Tank Obsessed

thanks for all the advice. I am going to check everything that was mentioned here and then ill check back to let you know if it worked and what the problem was.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:37 PM   #14
Etos
Algae Grower

What is important to check is the Output of the unit and not the intake. If you are having a good flow from the spray bar it means that the flow is good. If the output is weak then you must check everything the other folks mentioned.
Etos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2009, 03:13 AM   #15
belladee
Planted Tank Obsessed

I took it all apart today. checked the hoses.. clear and tight. Checked the blue pad.. not that bad, I did rinse it. Back flushed everything. Wiped down the output holes set it back up. Flow is the same... weak. the output is ok but not great. I didnt clean out the tubes but they really didnt look that bad. the filter is relatively new

I really dont like that I had to dump out everything to get to the blue pad. then the 2 different medias mixed together and I had to put everything back with my hands. I think I want a filter with baskets, but I guess that is off topic.

I dont know what is wrong with it, maybe I am just expecting to much?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.