ive got...worms?!?!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 06-13-2009, 06:08 AM   #1
outofstock
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

ive got...worms?!?!

Okay so my 2.5 gal "snail jail" got new inhabitants today. I ordered 25 CRS shrimp to liven the tank up. Since I got the shrimp, I got a "pre-filter" to cover the filter so no shrimps get sucked in.

I just got in and I have baby snails crawling on the glass, along with some white worm like creatures. They were not their when I left the house around 7.

What I did notice was that I seem to have blood worms in my gravel (its larger, bigger than a quarter). I used the tank as a home for two dwarf puffers for a week before moving them to a bigger tank and I fed them blood worms. So i am assuming since i saw larger blood worms sticking out today that i accidentally started a colony of them also.

The worms seem to be little white lines crawling on the glass. Are they blood worms? They are very small, as thick as a new born pond snail, so about the width of a pencil point, or a dot on a paper. Any help please!
outofstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2009, 12:51 PM   #2
Superedwin
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Those worms are most likely either planaria or nematodes. They are both pretty harmless , when you water change try to get alot of them out or hand remove them( If you really want them gone use some medication, Google it). The worms are there because there are no predators to eat them. Also if you look closely you can probably even find copepods or other creatures... Check this thread Soon enough they worms will be gone, mine were.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...te-4-17-a.html

Superedwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 03:48 PM   #3
outofstock
Algae Grower

Yeah I think they are nematodes, my bloodworm population has exploded...I wish it would have done that in the puffer tank. Any ideas how to catch bloodworms besides by hand? Id love to catch them and throw them in the puffer tank.

Only I could accidentally start a bloodworm farm lol.

Is their anything that wont hurt my cherries that would prefer bloodworms/nematodeS?
Old 06-13-2009, 03:56 PM   #4
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

my shrimp tank has a lot of whitish grey worms in it too. they are round, so i guess nematodes of some sort. they are really multiplying fast, and sometimes i see them huddling near the algea waffers and shrimp pellets just under the substrate. i think they eat the little pieces that crumble off of them when the shrimp dig their claws in to the food.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:59 PM   #5
outofstock
Algae Grower

yeah it seemed like they just showed up over night. Never saw them until last night.