My 29g craigslist tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-13-2009, 11:04 PM   #1
cwinson85
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

My 29g craigslist tank

Well, I thought it would be neat if I started keeping track of my tanks progress on here. I got it a few months back on craigslist for something like 60 bucks. It since then has been a non stop project that I love! Ill try to start at the beginning and keep posted.
cwinson85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2009, 11:05 PM   #2
cwinson85
Planted Member

Here it was on day one, packed with all sorts of stuff, TONS of java. Keep in mind this was a very low tech tank but is becoming more and more high tech.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:08 PM   #3
cwinson85
Planted Member

in may09 i decided to up the game and get rid of the rigged up hood and get a dual 24'' 5tho, this was the start to the tank becoming more high tech....

Old 06-13-2009, 11:11 PM   #4
cwinson85
Planted Member

my next goal was to kind of clean the tank up. It was really just a big jungle and i wanted to make the tank a little more "mine" I also started running a diy co2 system at this time which will soon be pressurized!

Old 06-13-2009, 11:13 PM   #5
cwinson85
Planted Member

In the last couple weeks i have been focusing on getting a good foreground. Here i put some HC in up from, hope it fills in ok...

Old 06-13-2009, 11:15 PM   #6
cwinson85
Planted Member

Most recently I really cleaned up the left side and planted some glosso. also added a co2 indicator at the top right that looks pretty cool. the co2 tank should be in some time next week!

Old 06-13-2009, 11:17 PM   #7
cwinson85
Planted Member

as of now, not sure what im going to do next? I concidering keeping that right side almost like it is, really think? not sure what i want to do with that big amazon sword? just doesnt seem to be fitting in right? maybe clear out some of the stuff on the front right and put the sword there? dont know, anyone feel free to chime in with some ideas..... thanks for lookin!
Old 06-14-2009, 08:45 PM   #8
cwinson85
Planted Member

well took alot more out and put a little more in today. starting to look a bit cleaner i think, cant wait till all this new plants fill in

Old 06-14-2009, 09:47 PM   #9
cwinson85
Planted Member

gave it a background
Old 06-15-2009, 05:47 AM   #10
cwinson85
Planted Member

well i see a good number of people are taking a look at this but im not getting much imput. What can i do to improve, i know it need a lot of time and work... give me some tips! thanks....
Old 06-15-2009, 06:10 AM   #11
Centromochlus
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (116/100%)

Great looking tank! - But why so much substrate?

Here's a layout drawing i made for your tank, sorry for the horrible quality! What about something like this?:

I think the right side looks AWESOME, but the left side needs a bit of work IMO. Try moving the amazon sword over to the left side, as shown in the picture, and fill the left side with a bunch of plants to give it that "full" look that you have on the right side. Then maybe add a ground cover plant in the middle, to produce a "stream" look. Just an idea.

Edit: Just noticed that there was no amazon sword in your latest photo LOL. Did you get rid of it? Hope my picture gives you some ideas anyway!
Old 06-15-2009, 06:22 AM   #12
cwinson85
Planted Member

cool, that gives me some ideas to work with. Ive got a bunch of glosso planted in the front left but i need to get that back corner filled in, only problem is that wood kind of angle back into the corner making it hard for light to get to anything under it. not sure what i should do about that? any ideas. yeah i pulled that sword and put it my 100g for now. its just TOO much i think. and i am kind of shooting for a valley look there in the middle. i know its a TON of substrate but thats just what the guy had in it when i bought it. thanks for the little drawing there.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:36 AM   #13
Centromochlus
Honeycomb Master

Try to find some low-light plants, maybe a large java fern or something that doesn't require tons of light - i bet that would do alright in the left corner. How far does the glosso reach back? If it covers most of the left side then i don't think the valley idea would work.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:43 AM   #14
cwinson85
Planted Member

i just planted the glosso. about half way id say. i can bring if forward some? and i think ive got some fern i can try in that corner tomorrow, that will be my project.... thanks again, miss that az weather... im from tucson originally!
Old 06-15-2009, 06:50 AM   #15
Centromochlus
Honeycomb Master

Quote:
i just planted the glosso. about half way id say. i can bring if forward some? and i think ive got some fern i can try in that corner tomorrow, that will be my project.... thanks again, miss that az weather... im from tucson originally!
If it's only halfway then i think it should be fine. I do think you need to make the left side look a lot more full though, to balance out both sides.

Yeah the Arizona weather is really nice.. but it's going to start to get hot again this week! Gahhh.

Here's another idea: Maybe glosso on the front right side also? Then the fern of course. Maybe for the "river", you could get some small river rocks and tie java moss or something on to them, and place them next to each other. That might look cool.