Any other planted tanks in the TriCities?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Washington

Old 06-13-2009, 12:15 AM   #1
jarberg27
Algae Grower

PTrader: (15/100%)

Any other planted tanks in the TriCities?

Just moved back to WA state from Colorado. Before Colorado I was on Bainbridge Island, but now I'm on the east side of the state in the desert.

Everybody and their mother lives on the west side of the mountains...does anyone live out here in the TriCities? All the radiation from Hanford really helps to grow large mutant plants.

Old 12-05-2009, 02:59 AM   #2
squirrelcrusher
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

I just tried my first planted tank. It is a 30g. So far it is doing alright. A little to much algea going. I tried this method (can't post the weblink, to new. It was mineralized soil) and it says if you don't "rinse" the soil enough you can get an algea problem. Well I tried this in winter and got tired of dealing with cold mud and the stuff wouldn't dry out so I just put it in the tank. Got algea now. Oh well, it's mostly undercontrol now.
squirrelcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 05:33 AM   #3
yikesjason
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (71/100%)

I grew up near the Tri-Cities in Connell. I went to CBC while I was in high school. I miss it up there. I didn't get into planted tanks until well after I moved away. But I am glad I live in a place where there are a lot of planted tank people.
yikesjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:34 AM   #4
squirrelcrusher
Algae Grower

So my 30g is thriving and tomorrow I am getting a complete high pressure setup! Found it on Craigslist. Seems like a sweet deal and can't wait to set it up this spring. I would do it now, but it is to cold to make mineralized substrate.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:23 PM   #5
MrPlatypus
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Don't have a planted tank yet, but that is the plan in the next couple of months.
Nice to know there are other Tri-Citians floating (no pun intended) about.

BTW, do we have any aquarium/planted tank clubs in this area? I've looked about, and my search results have been rather dismal (this is the Tri-Cities after all.)
MrPlatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:32 AM   #6
squirrelcrusher
Algae Grower

Well alot has changed in my tanks recently. I now have 5 tanks! 3 55 gallons a 30 gallon and a new 15 gallon.

Main 55 is planted pretty heavy. High-tech setup Pressurized CO2, UV light, inline heaters, minerilized substrate, ect. I set it up a couple months ago. Had an outbreak of algae, but that is now under control and kept to a minium

Low-tech 55 Right now lots of algae from morning sunlight. I'm just to lazy to put a cloth or something across the back of the hood where there is a 6in gap. I also started it on DIY CO2.

Another 55 is home to my dads live bearing fish Guppies, Mollies, and Platies

30g is still doing great! The sword I have in it has grown HUGE! The other plants are doing good.

15g is going to be another low tech. Activ-Flora substrate(not happy with it, but can't return it so it is staying) Just going to grow a few crypts and swords in the tank.

I have lots of trimmings if anyone wants to trade or buy them. Just PM me or something. I trim almost daily it seems in the main tank.

Last edited by squirrelcrusher; 06-06-2010 at 05:21 PM..
Old 06-07-2010, 02:06 AM   #7
yellotang
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelcrusher View Post

I have lots of trimmings if anyone wants to trade or buy them. Just PM me or something. I trim almost daily it seems in the main tank.
As soon as the 90 cubed is up I will want to take a look at what you have. I am setting mine up following this method.http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...lgae-free.html with minrealized soil. I cooked the crap out of mine.

This will be my third planted tank. I had a 55 gallon and a 20 gallon about 12 years ago.

I went saltwater for awhile (180 gallon soft/hard coral reef tank) and I am the one that actually started the Mid-Columbia Saltwater Aquarium Club. If there is enough local interest we can start a planted tank club. Not hard to do, but to be honest, it is the none serious hobbiests that makes the clubs a frustrating process.
yellotang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:49 AM   #8
squirrelcrusher
Algae Grower

You cooked the soil? I have mineralized soil in my tanks that I followed this recipe for ( http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...on-talbot.html ) But I didn't cook anything.

I like my fishy tanks, but I wouldn't call myself a serious hobbiest.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:14 PM   #9
yellotang
Algae Grower

Cooked = another term for drying, wetting, drying cycle. I did this last batch for at least a month.
yellotang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:43 PM   #10
squirrelcrusher
Algae Grower

Ah, that makes sense.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:54 AM   #11
squirrelcrusher
Algae Grower

I trimmed by main tank tonight so if anyone wants to buy some cheap plants or trade some plants send me a message on here.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:03 AM   #12
MrPlatypus
Algae Grower

Not to pull thread-necromancy, but I decided to create a Facebook ground call the Tri-Cities Aquarium Enthusiasts. It's designed to get locals in contact with one another, get some fish/plants traded, and generally have a good time. I'm try to get it for freshwater and saltwater fin fanatics, but who ever would like to join and participate is welcome.
So if you read this, and are in this area, you are more than welcome to join us.
The more the merrier!
Best,
Christopher
MrPlatypus is offline   Reply With Quote