My new planted tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 06-06-2009, 01:38 PM   #1
filipem
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

My new planted tank

I finished planting this tank yesterday. I think this the best scape that I have done so far but I am not 100% happy with it. Something seems out of place or missing. Any tips from you aquascapers out there would be great. The backround still needs to be decided on. I haven't decided on what I want to use yet or the color. Feel free to make a suggestion.

Anyhow, Here it is and thanks for looking.
Attached Images

filipem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2009, 08:35 PM   #2
cojo0667
Planted Member

Tank looks pretty good, cant wait to see it grow in a bit.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:27 AM   #3
filipem
Planted Member

Thanks but I feel something is still out of place. I don't know what but it really doesn't look right to me.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:47 AM   #4
demosthenes
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (57/100%)

i think it is that you don't have much of a midground. the foreground and background plants look awesome, especially for your first planted tank (also, good job getting eheim equipment the first time around, good choice!). It looks like you have a medium-lighting setup, so try to put in some smaller, bushy plants in the midground to build more of an area between the short carpeting plants and the tall background plants. try HM or stargrass, they are pretty cheap, easy plants to start out with. Also, replace the hygro's in the back with something else. Hygro's are a pain. you will grow to hate them VERY quickly, and you wont regret destroying them. They are also classified as a 'noxious weed' by the US gov't and are thus illegal to carry across state lines. haha.. just fyi.
demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:47 PM   #5
filipem
Planted Member

This is not my first planted tank (4th) but I haven't been at this too long either. About 1.5 years.

Thanks for the suggestions and the kind words. I think you're right.

About the Hygro I plan on removing it once the tank matures a little. I'm going to the LFS today to see what I can find.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:08 PM   #6
Coltonorr
Many plants...little time

I think it looks nice. A small thinner piece of driftwood would look nice as well, maybe with some A. nana 'petite' attached? I really like the left side!
Maybe the contrast between the plants on the right is too much, you have a very very green plant and then a dark red, both are very nice but maybe not next to each other?
Just a few suggestions/observations...the colors are very nice though.
Coltonorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:48 AM   #7
Preeths
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

The tank looks nice. The rocks seem odd. keep only the same type of rocks in an aquarium. Mixing different types does not look good. one thing i have learnt through experience, the ugliest looking rock or driftwood makes the best hardscape in a tank. :-)
Old 06-08-2009, 11:57 PM   #8
filipem
Planted Member

Thanks everyone. I'm going to add a few more species of plants and move some things around. For now I'm going to let the plants settle in for a few weeks. I will post new pics once that is all done.

Thanks again. If anyone else has more thoughts or tips please let me know.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:30 PM   #9
filipem
Planted Member

I have a question. The HC is not really grown much since I planted it. It has grown but looks kind of leggy and growing upwards. And some of the stems the Cabomba is also starting to melt close to the substrate. I'm running 2 x 39 w hagen t5 HO light over the tank. (40"x15"x20" H) Should I increase my lighting to 4X39w t5's.

my GH is 0
my KH is 7
my PH is 6.5
temp @ 78
I think my flow and co2 are good I'm filtering with one eheim 2217. I also have two powerheads one koralia #1 power head and a Koralia nano. Co2 indicator is a nice lime green an is on the opposite side of the tank for the co2 diffuser.

I'm using my own mineralized substrate so I have not dosed the tank with any ferts. There is also no algae at all.

All of the other plants seem fine and have grown a little but not much.

Thanks,
Old 06-10-2009, 10:51 PM   #10
filipem
Planted Member

anyone?
Old 06-11-2009, 03:23 AM   #11
Coltonorr

filipem,

it takes plants a little bit to get going in MS. I would say clip the dead bottoms of the cabomba and replant the tops.

Its a 50 gal tank and it's somewhat deep...I'd say 4 bulbs couldn't hurt

How old is the tank? is the tank CO2 injected or is it DIY?
Old 06-11-2009, 12:06 PM   #12
filipem
Planted Member

OK good to hear. The tank is co2 injected. The tank has a few years on it. The previous owner had it setup as a SW tank. I took hours to plant and set this tank up. I thought it would be better to ask then allow the plants to die. I know that most of my plants like higher light. I thought that I may not have enough to reach the bottom.

Thanks for resting an uneasy mind.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:03 PM   #13
Coltonorr

I had similar "symptoms" on my plants in my 100g MS tank, but I am running more light. In my tank, plants did great initially, then they slowed and some leaves started to melt off a little and the plants did not look good then about the 5-6 week everything started to take off.
How long is your light on right now?
I would add a second 2 x 39 w hagen t5 HO light as a burst, for a few hours a day...
So a photoperiod could be:
Light 1 : On 10am
Light 2 : On 1pm
Light 2 : Off 5pm
Light 1 : Off 8pm
Old 06-11-2009, 02:32 PM   #14
jaidexl
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)

Your GH being zero is not a good sign. Is Ca and Mg provided my MS? I have to be honest, I only skimmed through the MS articles and am still at the point of mineralizing, and I'm using the premix kit, so I'm not sure. If not, you should look into adding some GH booster.

The scape looks pretty good to me, just needs to fill in. The only thing out of place to me are the rocks on the right, they form too much of a wall and should be set a bit more naturally. The ones on the left are pretty symmetrically placed, also, maybe pull a few together and move in or out to add some depth there.
jaidexl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:14 PM   #15
filipem
Planted Member

The GH reading is zero because of the water softener I read somewhere that the reading should show zero but there is CA and Mg in the water. The salt fools the test kit. At least that is what I got from it.

Am I wrong?

I have a sundial fixture that is going to be installed over this tank (4x39w).I am still waiting for the light stand though. I should have it by Sunday. the sundial unit seems like a better one then the hagen one. I will try running the lights as you suggested Coltonorr. Thanks again for the help and advice.

I can't complain about the hagen fixture though. It's served we well on my other setups in the past.

I also recieved more plants today (for free ) . I will move some stuff around and try to get those rocks looking more natural.

the water is also starting to tan a little. I'm assuming that there is still a peat in the soil. Hopefully it's not a problem.