A very poor planner in urgent need of scaping ideas
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 06-02-2009, 02:32 PM   #1
PurpleVal
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

A very poor planner in urgent need of scaping ideas

This morning I finally decided to take my 25 gallon tank down and rescape it. So when I was done moving all the fish to one cramped ten gallon and pouring all that water down the drain I realize...I HAVE NO PLAN . So right now I have one really sad looking 25 gallon tank with about an inch of water and 2 inches of gravel substrate in it, and a ten gallon tank full of fish that aren't happy at all.
One of the main reasons I tore down my tank is because I wanted to change the substrate to something more nutrient rich. I have some potting soil and bonemeal that I want to put down as a base layer, and then put the gravel on top of it. I am following the rough substrate plan that was presented to me at a natural planted tank talk at an aquarium club conference. The womens name was Diana Walstad she wrote a book about keeping natural planted tanks, and did a demonstration of how she sets them up with a ten gallon. I am really out of new aquascaping ideas but the plants I have to work with are multiple anubias coffefolia, and a ton of straight valisneria. I also have a lot of neat looking rocks to use. Any ideas appreciated!!

and to top it all off my betta just ate one of my rcs
PurpleVal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2009, 02:45 PM   #2
Tex Gal
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tex Gal

One of the main ideas about El Natural is that you use fast growing plants. The vals are pretty fast but now the anubias. You might want to look in the SNS and see about getting some fast growers. You will have to cycle your tank again and these plants will help a lot with that. You don't want to loose any of your fish to the new tank cycle syndrome.

95g Rimless

Tex Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:59 PM   #3
PurpleVal
Algae Grower

I have a few questions. First, what is SNS? And second, what do you suggest I do right now? Should I go ahead and put in the new substrate? Also, I have an established filter so is it just the substrate that is cycling?
Old 06-02-2009, 03:13 PM   #4
Tex Gal
Wannabe Guru

SNS means Swap N Shop. Hobbyist sell plants to each other. They are usually healthier and cheaper than you can get in the stores. There are also many many more choices offered than in stores.

It's great that your filter is established. That will help a lot. It depends on what substrate you chose as to how much and how quickly you tank will cycle. Nutrifying bacteria is on all the substrate and hardscape and plants in the tank. When you tear it down you loose all that. It will have to build back up. Some substrates like ADA AquaSoil, mineralized soil, eco complete will leach nutrients for a while. If you have a VERY HEAVY plant load they will take these up quickly. Depending on what substate you use will guide you to how much to do to get your mini cycle over quickly.

1st thing - get more quick growing plants. You can sell them later in the SNS. My favorite cycling plant is Najas roraima. It grows fast and won't shade other plants very much. It's easy to pull out later. Take a look at other's tanks to see what you like and what plants they have in there.

Here's a sale thread with lots of plants. You could pm him and ask him to put together a fast growing selection cheaper for you.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sw...ts-galore.html

95g Rimless

Old 06-02-2009, 04:29 PM   #5
PurpleVal
Algae Grower

Thank you so much for all the help Tex Girl!!! I sent him a PM telling him I am interested in a package. I am currently going through his plant list and looking up the names on the sites plant profiles list. I am just now learning all the scientific names of plants. I have found a few I like and sound like they don't need a huge amount of light or Co2. Please look over the list and tell me if I have made a mistake with any of them.

Ludwigia repens
Rotala rotundifolia
bacopa carolinia (maybe)
unfortunately that's all I think I can grow.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:52 AM   #6
Tex Gal
Wannabe Guru

Sound good to me. They are fast growers and will do well.

You could also grow the Wisteria and the Cabomba frucata. Good luck!

95g Rimless

Old 06-07-2009, 07:25 PM   #7
fishydaze
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

I also suggest searching the Low Tech forum for Walstad....there is at least one thread there, and probably many, that are following her method...look at the plants they chose and the problems and successes they have had; I hear that moving around plants in that soil is messier, so for the ones I have looked at so far it seems that the tanks just 'go with the flow' a little more with aquascaping then some of the more manicured tanks...

example threads include:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/lo...-tech-20h.html
and
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/lo...soil-sub.html;
6g Planted Low Tech 5-15-2009 Start Date
fishydaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:49 PM   #8
Vladdy
Planted Tank Obsessed

First of all, gravel doesn't look very good in my opinion, and costs more money than play sand. I used play sand in my tank, and I haven't had any problems. Be sure to wash it very well before putting it in your tank, or else it will cloud your water. I got a 40 pound bag for $2.39
Old 06-10-2009, 12:48 AM   #9
FrostyNYC
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladdy View Post
First of all, gravel doesn't look very good in my opinion, and costs more money than play sand. I used play sand in my tank, and I haven't had any problems. Be sure to wash it very well before putting it in your tank, or else it will cloud your water. I got a 40 pound bag for $2.39
Eh. All a matter of personal taste. The original poster indicated that he/she was going for a layered substrate with soil and bonemeal, and I'm not sure how that would work with pool sand. Plus pool sand gets dirty-looking really quick, and it'd look especially dirty once the soil starts mixing around in it.

Purpleval, good luck with the tank. SwapNShop is definitely the place to go for great deals. Keep us updated.