Breeding Ghost Shrimp
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 05-28-2009, 01:51 AM   #1
Vladdy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation

Breeding Ghost Shrimp

I bought 10 ghost shrimp as feeders for 10 for a dollar. They appeared to be very healthy and none of them had any milky coloration. The biggest was a little more than an inch. Do you think they will survive? 7 of them are females carrying green eggs. I want to raise the fry and breed the ghost shrimp. I need to know how to raise them. I have a molly and a tiger barb being kept with the shrimp. I need some advice on raising the fry when the eggs hatch. What can I feed the fry when they hatch? Also, can I keep the eggs in the tank with the shrimp or do I have to keep them in a seperate tank? Has anyone here ever raised ghost shrimp? Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Vladdy; 05-28-2009 at 11:43 AM..
Vladdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2009, 02:00 AM   #2
wondabread
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

I have kept these guys for a long time. They are fun to watch. However, I constantly have berried females but have never once seen babies.

Tiger barbs make short work of ghost shrimp too, so be warned. As far as feeding the babies if you get any, just let them eat the food you feed the adults or if you take them out (or move the adults just before she drops the babies) green water, bbs, infusoria, anything tiny will work.

Aside from practicing breeding, these guys are quite worthless. They are fun to watch, but you can get RCS for around $1/each and they will fetch much more demand. There is a reason ghost shrimp are 10/$1.00.

Also, these guys die for absolutely no apparent reason. They are short lived, and when I buy 20, 10 might make it a week, 5 into the second month. I consider them the otos of inverts.
wondabread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:48 PM   #3
Dwarfpufferfish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Dwarfpufferfish

“Ghost Shrimp” and “Glass Shrimp” are generic names given to a wide veritiy of shrimp that are of similar size and are clear in color. The most common in North America is the American Glass Shrimp.

And contrary to what Wondabread stated above these shrimp are very long lived when they are healthy, but getting healthy shrimp from a dealer is nearly impossible! Why?
Because they are sold as feeder shrimp so the are shipped in containers that are EXTREMELY over crowded with horrible water conditions and are then stored in poor conditions at the stores.

My second and third generation American Glass Shrimp have lived for 2-3 years already!

To read a little bit about how they breed go here: http://www.theshrimpfarm.com/blog/?s...eeding+program and read some of the older posts! Good luck!
-------------------------------------
Dwarfpufferfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:11 PM   #4
rasetsu
Planted Tank Obsessed

I got a handful of ghosties and have had them for about a month now in a 29 gallon. The only other inhabitants are a rubberlipped pleco, a couple of mystery snails, and 10 white clouds. I was doing a gravel vac the other day and see something tiny dart away. It was a baby ghosty! I also have 4 berried females. Of course of the adults dropped dead last night so I guess the population is going to remain at status quo.
rasetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:18 PM   #5
CTSpeed413

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladdy View Post
I bought 10 ghost shrimp as feeders for 10 for a dollar. They appeared to be very healthy and none of them had any milky coloration. The biggest was a little more than an inch. Do you think they will survive? 7 of them are females carrying green eggs. I want to raise the fry and breed the ghost shrimp. I need to know how to raise them. I have a molly and a tiger barb being kept with the shrimp. I need some advice on raising the fry when the eggs hatch. What can I feed the fry when they hatch? Also, can I keep the eggs in the tank with the shrimp or do I have to keep them in a seperate tank? Has anyone here ever raised ghost shrimp? Thanks for your help.

Where did you find them for 10 for a dollar???
I can't seem to find them any cheaper than $.33
They are cheap as free in FL, but not so in TX - to my knowledge.

Thanks!!!
CTSpeed413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:29 PM   #6
Vladdy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSpeed413 View Post
Where did you find them for 10 for a dollar???
I can't seem to find them any cheaper than $.33
They are cheap as free in FL, but not so in TX - to my knowledge.

Thanks!!!
They sell them here as feeder shrimp for 10 cents each
Old 11-24-2009, 11:28 PM   #7
anastasisariel
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Yeah, most ghost shrimp die because of how they are handled sold as feeders. I caught some wild which almost anyone in North America can do in creeks and especially silty pools separated from the main creek. The ones I caught faired way better than the ones I've purchased but hey even some sold as feeders will survive. If you want them to breed they will eat just about anything; I would feed them spirinia algae and/or shrimp food and keep them as cool as you can get your tank indoors as they are a temperate species so I could only assume that a lower temperature (65-75degrees) would be better. I did have shrimp breed but the young never survived in a community tank. My tank was a native setup; temp was probably 68-70 degrees.
I'm in the Saint Louis, MO area and always looking to connect with other planted tank enthusiasts.

75 Gallon journal http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=480226
anastasisariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:28 AM   #8
Ravenmoon
Algae Grower

Ghost shrimp are hard to breed...I've hard berried females as well but I've never seen any babies.
Ravenmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:39 AM   #9
CTSpeed413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladdy View Post
They sell them here as feeder shrimp for 10 cents each

LOL, ok, where is "here"?

I've had ghost shrimp, usually bought a buck or two's worth at a time while stocking up on guppies, (well, you only need 4 to get 100) loaches, pleco (1or 2) tetras, danios, angels

had quite a good variety going when we lived in Tampa - had a little shipwreck that the loaches hid in , some breeder boxes for the guppies, then abandoned the breeder boxes after the guppies took over!
somehow, the ghost shrimp were actually able to reproduce. Mortality rate was probably higher than the guppies though but eventually I didn't need to buy them anymore - unless some of the more aggressive loaches got hungry! LOL

so - where is "here" anyway VLaddy??
Old 11-25-2009, 01:59 AM   #10
anastasisariel
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I only think they are hard to breed because most people have them in tropical setups and they are a temperate specie.... and I seriously doubt there are many people who have ghost shrimp tanks other than for feeders...yuk! From what I've read the young have no larval state.. and its definitely not a brackish specie... we have tons here in Missouri.
I'm in the Saint Louis, MO area and always looking to connect with other planted tank enthusiasts.

75 Gallon journal http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=480226
anastasisariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:07 AM   #11
crimsonbull57
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

I accidentaly had them reproduce in my 10. I guess it evaded my guppy till it got big enough. I would suggest LOTS of java moss for the shrimplets to hide in.
crimsonbull57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:12 AM   #12
CTSpeed413

They ARE the circle of life! They eat fish poop, and the fish eat them - and disregard my question from earlier VLaddy, for some reason I thought I saw Frisco TX by your name. I almost exclusively went to Pet Mart on Bush, then 56th st - once I discovered them. It's a mom and pop type store and they have a great variety. Now, I'm in Frisco, TX, I can't find them for less then $.33, which I blamed on the economy until I found my friend who still lives in Tampa got them for 10 or 12 for a dollar like I'm used to.
on raising them -
I did a bit of Googling and found that all you really need is a good hiding place for them. We "lucked" into getting ours to reproduce; they are excellent little scavengers! That's why I would want them to breed to eat, and be eaten!! : D
kind of like snails to loaches - but ghost shrimp are much more desirable than snails...in my humble opinion.

When ghost shrimp get cloudy, it's caused by copper in the food. check your bottom feeder pellets for - copper sulfate - it slowly kills them - I found that out too late. I was also surprised at how much fish food has copper in it.
Good reason to stick with Omega one or Hikari - expensive but worth it. Amazon usually has good deals on it. anyone found cheap ghost shrimp in TX? Frisco to be exact?
I may "go fish" like DPF....
Old 11-25-2009, 02:04 PM   #13
ycbs
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

If you have a Pet Supermarket (it's a chain), they have them 10/$1. I've seen them at PetSmart and Petco for $.33 and $.25 each. Even saw them at a LFS that were calling them "Algae Eating Shrimp" and selling them for $2 each. I informed them of what they really were and the next time I went in, they were selling them for $.50 each.
ycbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:12 PM   #14
CTSpeed413

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ycbs View Post
If you have a Pet Supermarket (it's a chain), they have them 10/$1. I've seen them at PetSmart and Petco ......

Yup, I think it's because I'm so far inland - which doesn't make a whole lot of sense, because they are freshwater, but I'll just have to keep getting them at PetSmart for $.33, and provide better hiding places. I just have to spend $16.50 instead of $5.00 to get what I want, it could be worse. At least "regular" fish aren't also 3x what they cost - or I would not have finally set my tank back up. I think since my loaches are accustomed to eating snails, they also like the ghost shrimp too. I'm going to have to just buy a bunch of them and give them good shelter - maybe some of that moss too.

Still waiting for my bulbs to grow into plants.
Thanks all!
Old 11-25-2009, 08:50 PM   #15
Vladdy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSpeed413 View Post
Yup, I think it's because I'm so far inland - which doesn't make a whole lot of sense, because they are freshwater, but I'll just have to keep getting them at PetSmart for $.33, and provide better hiding places. I just have to spend $16.50 instead of $5.00 to get what I want, it could be worse. At least "regular" fish aren't also 3x what they cost - or I would not have finally set my tank back up. I think since my loaches are accustomed to eating snails, they also like the ghost shrimp too. I'm going to have to just buy a bunch of them and give them good shelter - maybe some of that moss too.

Still waiting for my bulbs to grow into plants.
Thanks all!
It isn't rare for fish to eat shrimp. Chances are that the shrimp will make a tasty snack for the fish.

Tags
breed, ghost, ghost shrimp, raise, shrimp