Curious, Do you consider LUX when buying bulbs?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 08-22-2002, 11:29 PM   #1
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (0/0%)

I ususally try to get bulbs with a LUX rating of 90+

I was wondering if anyone else even considers this when buying??
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2002, 02:05 AM   #2
Steve Hampton
Planted Member

Do you mean CRI instead of Lux?
Steve Hampton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2002, 04:51 AM   #3
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Oops. lol yes
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2002, 06:49 PM   #4
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

I usually don't. The CRI rating is detrmined by the appearance of objects in air, not water. There are some "low CRI" bulbs that make fish look fantastic while some high CRI bulbs that wash colors out to no end. I usually just look for lumens output (your mistake might have been a Freudian slip! lux is more important to me than CRI, hehe)
Old 08-24-2002, 12:26 PM   #5
inxs
Algae Grower

I have a hard enough time finding the color temp on most bulbs not sold through specialty sites/stores - can you explain CRI & Lux and is there a site that may list them for popular sizes of NO bulbs normally available at hardware stores etc?

Thanks
inxs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2002, 01:04 AM   #6
Steve Hampton
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by inxs
I have a hard enough time finding the color temp on most bulbs not sold through specialty sites/stores - can you explain CRI & Lux and is there a site that may list them for popular sizes of NO bulbs normally available at hardware stores etc?

Thanks
What's important to note is that in order to compare the Lux of bulbs, the bulbs have to be installed in your tank and then measurements taken with a Luxmeter. Considering that most bulbs are in the $3.00 to $10.00 range it seems far more logical to me to simply purchase difference bulbs and try them in your tank as opposed to purchasing a $150.00 Luxmeter. Here's a very consice and accurate decription of Lux and CRI taken directly from George Booth's Website:

Lux

Lux is a measure of the actual intensity of the light falling on a specified area and is a much better way to describe lighting requirements. Lux is defined as lumens per square meter. Unfortunately, since lux depends on the how the light gets from the bulb to the area, the manufacturer can't specify it - it has to be measured by the aquarist. Hobbyist luxmeters are available for under $150 and are invaluable for the serious light cognoscente. Also note that since lux are defined in terms of lumens, they also suffer from a bias towards human eye response.

CRI

This is the Color Rendering Index and describes how closely a light source renders colors compared to "standard" sunlight as observed by a "standard" human eye. A perfect source would score 100. Full spectrum bulbs rate in the 90s. CRI is usually specified for higher quality fluorescent bulbs but does not seem to be a valuable measure for bulbs used in planted tanks. Bulbs with a high CRI may not necessarily have the right spectrum for plants and may not be bright enough for good plant growth.

Here's the complete article on lighting from George Booth's site:

George Booth's Lighting Article

And here's a site that has some popular bulb's listed with Kelvin, Lumens, CRI, and Spectrum listed.

Hoa G. Nguyen's Website

HTH,
Steve H.
Steve Hampton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.