Question about reflectors
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 02-19-2003, 10:12 PM   #1
Stargazer
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

Recently discovered this board and have already found it interesting and informative. My question is this. I have a polished reflector on my fluorescent strip light with 2 30W bulbs in it. Approximately how many watts does this equal out to if I had no reflector?
Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2003, 10:59 PM   #2
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

First off, welcome to the board!
I'm not sure I understand the question,but I'll try to answer it the best I can. Reflector or no reflector you would have 60 watts. when we talk about watts per gallon on this board, we assume that they have reflectors. 60 watts of light with no reflector would probably be closer to 40 watts of reflected light.
Heres the bottom line. Theres no getting around how many watts your plants need to thrive. There are no loopholes when it comes to growing plants, either the plants get what they need or they'll protest by slowly dieing.
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 02:00 PM   #3
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Marcel is right, and in addition, there are a lot of different reflectors out there. Some parabolic units reflect up to 98% of the light down. A flat piece of polished aluminum will only reflect 55%-65% into your tank (only slightly better than no reflector at all). An reflector shape isn't the only variable affecting useable light - the distance from the bulb to the reflector must also be optimal.

Short answer is: It's nearly impossible to put a number on it. But without a reflector, you'd only using around 30 watts of the 60 watts you were using.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:10 PM   #4
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Flat piece reflectors are taht inefficient? I might look at getting some of those reflectors from AH Supply that are shaped to reflect more light....

-Tim
Old 02-20-2003, 10:45 PM   #5
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

Don't forget that the AH supply reflectors are made for CF bulbs. Not sure how they would work with anything else. I know I have a 65 watt CF bulb in one tank with a flat reflector and you can look at it without pain. My 55 watt bulbs with AH Supply reflectors you can look at for maybe 3-4 seconds.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 11:10 PM   #6
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

I would end up retrofitting them into my 2x55 watt strip. Rex, can you tell much of a difference in the brightness of the tank from one strip to the other if they are on one at a time?

-Tim
Old 02-21-2003, 12:34 PM   #7
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

Yes.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 01:01 PM   #8
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

I definitely can. I've got two strips over my tank (one with two four foot 40w tubes, and one with the two 65w PC's) and one has an angled reflector (CSL) and one is flat polished aluminum. The difference is just as Rex said it to be - you cannot stare at a pair of PC's under a parabolic reflector for anything more than a few seconds.

Reflectors are definitely a neglected topic in planted aquaria. We just pump in the wattage for more plant growth. Think of the electricity you'll save in the end with an efficient reflector. I've got to replace my flat one with a good one.