20 Gallon XH Tank - Halogena ???
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 02-20-2003, 02:00 PM   #1
hcwo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Here's my current setup ... My wife got me a 20 G XH tank it's 24" deep for VDay/BDay. It has the same dimensions on the top as a normal 10 G. The lighting that came with was a normal/cheap double incandescent setup. When I was at Walgreens I saw the following bulbs and decided to give it a try. I bought two Phillips "Halogena" 60 watt bulbs that are supposed to be used for spot lights. They are rated at 900 lumins each, the lighting is supposed to be "crisp/bright". They ran pretty hot and began to start to melt my plastic hood [I thought they might]. So I put some extra aluminim foil under the metal sheilds that came with the hood. This stopped the meltdown. It still runs hot however and brings up the temp in the tank. I also have a Hagen CO2 nutrifin setup running. I have a few plants in it and they seem to really like it the light. It's been running for about week now.

Questions ... Should I have just gotten two florescents and built another hood [Coralife "flora grow" bulbs] like my other 10 gallon or should I try and install a fan for this current hood?

Maybe a CP setup?

Also, what fish to add first for algae mateinance? I like oto's.

I'm experimenting and its fun!

Any suggestions or comments. I'm still pretty new to this planted tank thing. But I sure like the outcome. You guys are a great help, and thanks ahead of time.
hcwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2003, 10:39 PM   #2
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

Some ottos will work for algae crew. You might look at getting a 70 MH light for this tank. I think it would work great.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 12:19 AM   #3
hcwo
Algae Grower

You might look at getting a 70 MH light for this tank. I think it would work great.

Could you give me some information on this. I don't want to have to spend an arm and a leg. Thanks for the response though.
Old 02-21-2003, 12:41 PM   #4
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

I will look around and see what I can find. If someone else has the info on 70 watt MH lights feel free to share.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 12:55 PM   #5
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

I'm not familiar with those bulbs, but from their name, I can only hazard to guess that they are halogen-charged lamps, which have some of the highest operating temperatures out there.

Try getting one of those Compact Fluorescent bulbs that are designed to fit into normal light bulb sockets, and save electricity. Most are very yellow, but there is a new Panasonic bulb that GDominy tried out. Check out his thread...

New, Panasonic EFD Series CF Bulbs - AWESOME
Old 02-21-2003, 02:39 PM   #6
hcwo
Algae Grower

I'm going to look into all these options. I like this info about the CF's from Panasonic. Hope I can get them here.

Also, about these "halogenas" I have. They are working great just are very hot. Soon as I take a picture later today I will post.