Reglohs 55g (56K warning) ***FRY***
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-16-2009, 02:21 AM   #1
Regloh
Algae Farmer

PTrader: (8/100%)

Reglohs 55g (56K warning) ***FRY***

So this is finally my turn to post my tank here. I want to say upfront that I am realizing how bad I am at taking pictures. Does anyone have a SD1100is from Canon? Maybe there are some better settings that I could use.

Ok, the facts:

Tank: 55 ga , 20" tall, 12" deep and 48" long
Lights: 2x 54w T5HO Hagen Power-Glo
Substrate: Pea gravel over some kind of plant substrate (Flourite maybe) Seachem root tabs here and there
Filtration: Eheim 2217
Circulation: Hydor Koralia 2
Heater: Inside tank, with plans to switch to a Hydor Eth-200
CO2: 20g pressurized using a rex-style reactor
Dosing: EI for 40-60 ga
Flora: Wisteria, Ludwigia repens, fava fern, some grassy stuff, sunset hygro, vals, riccia, lillies or lotus ?
Fauna: BN pleco, clownloach, red-tailed black shark, 1 platy, 1 neon tetra, 10 (soon to be 20) harlequin rasboras

Ok here comes the full tank shot:

Here is my awfully out of control algae on the grassy stuff. If someone knows what this is, please advise. I think the LFS guy called it micro sword, but I could have heard wrong, or he could have been wrong

This is a plant I didn't even know was still there, when I got CO2 and re-scaped a bit. I found it behind/under a small piece of driftwood and it was tiny, but it looks like it recovered quite nicely. I would also appreciate if someone could identify it for me.

Here is a rare shot of my gold algae eater. He does not really like to be photographed, so this was a lucky shot. Anyone want this guy? I am tired of the fights he picks with the shark.

What I would like to do in the long term is to first and foremost get the algae under control. I've had a few close calls with the CO2, as I am relatively new to the whole pressurized scene. Fish gasping for air and all that good stuff, so I am a little more careful now. But I may need to crank the CO2 a bit more. My drop checker shows yellow, but I made the 4kH water myself, and I don't really trust it much.

I also am looking to do a little more with the nice driftwood in the center I was hoping I could spread out the java fern a bit more, but I am not having a ton of growth. I took a closeup.

It looks like some of the leaves are partially transparent, but take a look. I am following the EI dosing quite religiously, so I'm having a hard time believing it would be some kind of nutrient deficiency. The one nutrient I am not sure about is CO2 and I am going to try upping that a bit. Any other thoughts?

Any feedback will be appreciated! Thanks for looking!
Eheim Pimp #363 - 2213, 2217

Tank journals: 55g, 10g

Last edited by Regloh; 02-20-2010 at 02:30 AM.. Reason: Update with pictures 8-20-09
Regloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2009, 12:11 PM   #2
Axelrodi202
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

I would suggest nerite snails for the algae, but they wouldn't fo so good with the shark and the loach. You should probably get a siamese algae eater.

The tank overall looks nice except for the algae, but I would use a solid color background (blue or black) instead of the current one.

Your plant that you found under the driftwood is a melon sword (Echinodorus osiris).
\_\
Axelrodi202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 12:16 AM   #3
Regloh
Algae Farmer

Thanks for your feedback.

And yes, I did get the loach originally to rid myself of the millions of ramshorn (sp?) snails that came with the plants from my LFS.

I did forget to mention that I am always trying to keep between 3 and 5 otos in there, too. They do a pretty work pretty hard, but can't keep up.

Ok, also today I started a little experiment. I got some ghost shrimp at my LFS to see if they would be able to survive the loach and the shark. I have been intrigued with keeping shrimp for a while now, but thought I couldn't because of the clown loach.
Well, either these little shrimp are extremely good at hiding, or after just 4 hours I am down to 2 out of 10. I haven't seen the loach in a while, maybe he is just too full to move right now...

Old 05-17-2009, 03:46 AM   #4
itstony
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

the pictures came out good...looks better than anything i could do. how llong have your tank been running for? and have you ever tried dosing excel? im not sure if it works on that algae but maybe an army of otos or some SAE would hlep
itstony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 03:47 AM   #5
itstony
Algae Grower

btw the heater seem a bit out of place lol. maybe you could put it horizontally and near the bottom or hiding behind the plants
itstony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 04:01 AM   #6
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

That's a pretty tank. And a pretty golden algae eater. I wouldn't sweat the alga, believe me they go away all by themselves soon enough. The Java fern looks like it is on steroids, very healthy. The transparent areas are normal for new leaves. In no time you'll have a giant bush of it.

That piece of wood is nice, but I would place it a bit off-center. Makes things look a bit more interesting.

And don't kill them fishies with too much CO2. Algae doesn't disappear overnight, give it some time, watch how it stops spreading, cut off some leaves, and soon you don't know it was even there.

That little sword looks like a E. barthii, my favorite for sure. Push it a bit back from the front glass to give it some more space, feed it some root tab every half year, and see it spread. The Clown might nip on it once in a while, but it all grows out.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:56 AM   #7
Regloh
Algae Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by itstony
the pictures came out good...looks better than anything i could do. how llong have your tank been running for? and have you ever tried dosing excel? im not sure if it works on that algae but maybe an army of otos or some SAE would hlep
Thank you. The tank has been established for over 5 years, just not successfully growing plants That started early this year, when I started reading this forum. I actually do occasionally dose some excel, about 2 cap fulls twice a week. I'm not sure it's really worth doing at these low levels, but I do have pressurized CO2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itstony
btw the heater seem a bit out of place lol. maybe you could put it horizontally and near the bottom or hiding behind the plants
I actually have plans to replace that heater with an inline heater outside the tank, so until then I don't mind the eye sore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest
That's a pretty tank. And a pretty golden algae eater. I wouldn't sweat the alga, believe me they go away all by themselves soon enough. The Java fern looks like it is on steroids, very healthy. The transparent areas are normal for new leaves. In no time you'll have a giant bush of it.

That piece of wood is nice, but I would place it a bit off-center. Makes things look a bit more interesting.

And don't kill them fishies with too much CO2. Algae doesn't disappear overnight, give it some time, watch how it stops spreading, cut off some leaves, and soon you don't know it was even there.

That little sword looks like a E. barthii, my favorite for sure. Push it a bit back from the front glass to give it some more space, feed it some root tab every half year, and see it spread. The Clown might nip on it once in a while, but it all grows out.
Thank you for your kind words. I am so glad that the java fern is ok, that really worried me a bit. I do see a bunch of new leaves coming from below, so that's a good sign.
I will re-locate the Echinodorus. When I found it, it was so small that I didn't realize how big it would become. I will have to move a rock for it I think. Maybe I will rotate the wood a bit. That might create enough room for the sword.

Here is an update on the shrimp experiment. I actually saw at 3 shrimp at the same time, which makes me believe that there are actually more alive than I thought. These guys seem to be able to hide really well.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:28 PM   #8
speedie408
ShrimpKeeprExtraordinaire

PTrader: (387/100%)

Nice tank Regloh! Try spot dosing H2O2 and hand removal for algae control.

As for pictures... you can turn down the exposure level so the whites won't be so bright. Otherwise pics look good man.

Love that piece of DW!
speedie408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:30 PM   #9
cah925
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (173/100%)

I love the wood and I would try to leave most of it exposed. I also feel your pain about the gold algae eater. He took over most of my tank years ago and I decided it was time for him to go. I ended up having to tear down the whole tank just to catch the ____ (insert your own dirty phrase here depending on level of frustration).
cah925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:22 PM   #10
Regloh
Algae Farmer

Ok, time for an update.

As suggested by Axelrodi202 I took the silly background down. I actually found a piece of black ripstop nylon (the stuff they make kites out of) and hung it using some duct tape

In order to create some more room for the E. barhii I rotated the driftwood slightly which also makes it look like it is not smack dab in the middle any more. I like that a lot.

The vals are slowly filling in and the java fern is - like you said - on FIRE!

Ok, without further ado, here is the FTS:

The right side:

The left side:

Here is a closeup of that Java Fern... man you were right wasser...

Also the E. barthii has some more room now. There actually is a second one to the left of the bigger one, but if they both get too big, I'll sell the smaller one in the S&S.

In other news, I tried to put some ghost shrimp in there to see if the loach decides to co-exist, but only 2-3 made it past week 2 and now, about 5 weeks later they have all become dinner

Today I ordered the hydor ETH-200 inline heater, which will clear the back of the tank some more.

I also added a DIY spray bar running along the substrate in the back of the tank. I intended to spray paint it black, but then I got too antsy and needed to see how the distribution works... Now I am just too lazy to pull it back out and paint it. Eventually it will happen, though.

I am also a few days away from finishing my PLC controller. Don't worry, that'll be a DIY thread.

That's it for now...

Last edited by Regloh; 06-18-2009 at 12:32 PM..
Old 06-15-2009, 07:50 PM   #11
speedie408
ShrimpKeeprExtraordinaire

PTrader: (387/100%)

Your tank is coming along nicely man. I can't really tell from the new pics, but did you ever get a hold of your algae problem? I see some green spots on the DW that look to be pearling quite well.
speedie408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:56 PM   #12
FSM
Wannabe Guru

It's looking great.
FSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:29 PM   #13
Regloh
Algae Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedie408 View Post
Your tank is coming along nicely man. I can't really tell from the new pics, but did you ever get a hold of your algae problem? I see some green spots on the DW that look to be pearling quite well.
No, the algae is still there. I am hoping that the low spay bar will help distribute the CO2 a little better that should help. I also should do a thorough vacuum job, as I have only been doing water changes without vacuuming.
I can take some more closeups, but who wants to see algae?

Old 06-16-2009, 02:19 AM   #14
Regloh
Algae Farmer

Default Algae anyone?

Ok, are you guys ready for some closeups of algae-paloosa?

This is that grass stuff with some staghorn? or maybe staghorn with some grass

This stuff I actually think is quite attractive, if it wouldn't occasionally die and then get all ugly... also pearls quite nicely as you already mentioned, speedy.

While I had the camera in hand I tried to take some pics of fish as well. The shark was actually not very camera shy tonight.

Some of the Harlequin Rasboras, at least that's what I bought them as.

Can you see the Pleco? That's right, she likes to hang out upside down under the driftwood, like all good Plecos do

Couldn't seem to find the Clown Loach and the camera ran out of battery anyway.

I am running out of CO2, so I think that will not help the algae situation, as I don't know when I will be able to get a new bottle. Maybe I'll try in my lunch break tomorrow. I will definitely make sure the empty bottle makes it to my car tonight, or I'll forget it tomorrow. I will also throw in some Excel tomorrow morning.

Last edited by Regloh; 06-18-2009 at 12:38 PM..
Old 06-16-2009, 08:09 PM   #15
Regloh
Algae Farmer

I actually managed to get the tank swaped before work this morning. Airgas seems to open at 7 am Mo-Fri here... I will get home too late to install it, so my plants will have suffered a full 8h photoperiod without CO2. I think it'll be fine

I read some more about that grassy stuff and it may be Brazilian Micro Sword. The person who posted it in the plant profiles section of this forum actually said that it should be planted less densely as it will otherwise tend to cause algae.
I am considering pulling it all out and spending a couple of hours planting individual leaves deep in the substrate.
Problem with that is, I don't have real soil and my gravel is kind of a PITA to plant anything in. Even when I use tweezers I uproot half the stuff I just planted, when I go for the next stem. I may try it in another area of the tank just to see how it goes.